cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 4G LTE - Missing Memory

Journeyman

HTC EVO 4G LTE - Missing Memory

I didn't see anyone else post this topic, so I though I should throw this up here.

I have the new EVO 4g LTE and I am having issues with the internal memory and storage. The specs show I should have 1gb of internal memory and 16gb of internal storage. My phone actually only shows the following:

Internal memory: 690mb (.69gb) - Missing quite a bit!!!

Total Internal Storage: 2.09gb (available: 1.94gb)

Total Phone storage: 9.93gb (available: 9.82gb)

This doesn't add up to what I was sold. I am very unhappy about this. I just got the phone a couple days ago. I have a 16gb external SD card insert and it shows total space as 15.5gb (available: 9.18gb); which make sense.

I might return this phone for this very reason and just get the new Galaxy S3.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

10 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE - Missing Memory

You get 16GB of storage memory (ROM/Storage), which is split up into internal storage, phone storage, and a reserved partition for your OS (Android ICS).   The missing 4GB is reserved for Android. 

You also get 1 GB of RAM.  This is used when you are running programs.  You will notice that this number fluctuates as you open and close programs. Part of this memery is reserved OS processes and mandatory system processes (i.e. so your phone doesn't freeze up).

Master

The breakdown for the memory is this,

10gb for media, i.e. music, pictures, video

2gb for user installed apps, all the programs you install

4gb for Sprint software and updates

16gb total

It's all there, Sprint just partitioned it.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

I wish they would combine the space for media and apps.

Can anyone speculate whether the 32 GB version of the S3 will have more than 2GB allocated to apps?  That is one of the biggest issues for me right now with my OG Evo, low space due to apps, which I don't have that many and have as many on my SD card as possible.  Really irritating.

Master

Keep in mind, the OEVO had only about 400mb of space for apps. The LTEVO is 5X larger.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Wizard

You can put a 64GB card into the LTE and the S3.  On the LTE, most of my apps can be used on the sdcard okay....so no problem there.

Journeyman

Yeah, the problem is even if you put an app on the SD card, it still uses memory on the phone, or at least it did with Gingerbread.

Journeyman

That is good to know, but it would be great to dedicate more memory for apps, it still seems small, only 12.5% of the total internal storage space.

Wizard

Nah...not a problem here.  If an app is on your internal storage partition, it moves completely to the 10 GB phone storage partition.  Once on that partition, a very tiny reminant stays behind when you move it to the sdcard.  Unless you are loading up 100s of apps, I doubt you will have any trouble with ROM.  I currently have 6 full pages of apps/games and haven't moved anything yet and still have 1GB of internal over 8GB or phone storage. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks, good to know.