cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 4G LTE - NOW SHIPPING

Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE - DELAY

Admittedly, I only quickly browsed the patent filing. However, I thought it was not the context menu itself as much as the algorithm to detect a phone number, address, etc. amongst the text for the purposes of taking an action.

Journeyman

still laughing about the latter portion of 647 as far as hyperlinking of websites.  Wouldn't any phone be infringing on that just by using a browser to click a link to another URL?  Let me guess, Apple "ïnvented" the hyperlink like Al Gore invented the internet and I made you all in my own image.  Thanks for the laugh though, although this is no laughing matter for those who have paid for their devices already.

rockwell3811 wrote:

Im not too concerned about the delay itself, but here's the issue:

The One X and the EVO 4g LTE (same phone) have been delayed in customs because of the infrigement on patent 647, which is the ability to hyperlink phone numbers and websites. My cousin was able to get a One X on the initial shipment of the One X and he says his phone still has the hyperlink capability. So it's obvious to me that HTC did not find a workaround for these phones. When the ITC finds that these phones are still infringing on Apple's so-called patent, will they:

a) Send the phones back for them to start over

or

b) Confirm that HTC has an OTA update in place that will remove the capability from the new phones.

Hopefully its the latter because the first would delay our phones for months, and I would definitely be expecting a refund if that happens.

I think I need to read up on this one (647) a little bit

Journeyman

If this is true then they should put in a motion for patent invalidation considering that iDevices only have ONE dialer.

tre9614 wrote:

The work around from the sources I read is fixed. It is not that it can't hyperlink, it's that a menu cannot pop up a menu to give you decisions of what command you want to do. In other words you can still tap on a hyperlink phone number and it take you to dailer, but it cant give you a menu to ask which dialer. But thats just what I read.

Journeyman

That's exactly what I'm seeing...I must be missing something because I know for fact that Apple did not develop that technology.

Journeyman
Journeyman

I'm in agreeance...this patent issue is hilarious! Apple is definitely spitting in the wind right now. HTC is burying them at this moment and they are pulling at straws.

Journeyman

If you keep going back, Palm did these "new features" on mobile devices before anyone else was in the game. Perhaps Nokia too, but I'm not familiar with the old Nokia devices.

The whole thing is just silly. If this was a real concern, why was the OneS not delayed and inspected? Same software. Perhaps because it was going to T-Mobile where the iPhone isn't offered? (and no threat of competition)

I'll just be happy to get my phone when it arrives.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Let's all just boycott Apple lol

Journeyman

After reading that linked article in its entirety I would say that they were caught off guard.  there are some shipments that have already cleared customs and have been sold. AT&T released their One X on May 6th.  The expectation of all parties was that this would not be an ongoing issue as prior shipments did not have these customs problems (a month+ review period is almost unheard of unless public safety is potentially in jeopardy)

Slope72 wrote:

I would say poor communication is reason enough, but as more news comes out it doesn't appear that Sprint was caught off-guard. They've clearly known about this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/business/global/patent-dispute-holds-up-sales-of-2-htc-phones-in-u...

"“It’s really hard to tell how much longer the phones will be held up at the customs, because the review has already taken a month,” said Bonnie Chang, an analyst at Yuanta Securities."

KeithIMyers wrote:

Agreed,

The one thing Sprint is guilty of is poor communication. None of the other things are Sprints fault

Journeyman

That's why Apple is doing this because people, even countries are.

Journeyman

You're right, actually if I think back on it my first HTC (Mogul) phone did it.

Of course it's about market share and not patents!

Journeyman

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat