cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 4G LTE - NOW SHIPPING

Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE - DELAY

I chatted with a rep on Monday that checked my order "in the warehouse in Kentucky". Could be a bunch of BS that the CSR was told to feed us. It is possible Sprint is being hush hush on this because our phones are sitting in Kentucky ready to roll at the first nod of the head. If they ship tonight, they can still be in our hands tomorrow. Customs is not necesarily always going to be some at some port full of shipping containers. I would feel pretty safe to assume these were air freighted as they are small and lightweight with minimal packaging.

Journeyman

I completely understand your frustration, and I am sure their will be some sort of official announcement once it has made its way through department heads and authorized for official press release.  Unfortunately a pre-order is just that, an promise to receive the product first as soon as it is available.  No one could have forseen the excessive delay that customs has caused by their sudden halting of further shipments, even though there were previous shipments which passed customs and were sold (AT&T One X)  A minor delay is acceptable, but in some circumstances is not acceptable to all, especially those who will be charged for service on a device which they don't have come friday and those who need their lines active now.  My assumption is that they will work out some official plan with a multitude of options to remedy this issue.  Perhaps they will offer 1.service credit 2. the ability to apply the amount pre-paid to a different device or another line 3.a quick cancellation and refund of all pre-order fees instead of the standard practice of shipping it back and receiving a credit back on your bill or your credit card weeks later. 

If none of those options work, there are those who will be disputing charges with their credit card companies and it appears some have but I think the majority of those who pre-ordered are willing to wait so long as the delay is not excessive (>a week)

ThePhilip wrote:

Yea they gave a $15 credit. I'm sure they will get it back some how. They are a multi million dollar business who could of notified everyone from the beginning or at least waited to pre-sale. However, just like everyone else that sold these phones, their money first, not the customer. As you said, "they didn't create, cause or expect a delay of this magnitude" but they also "DID NOT CREATE" an e-mail, a blog, a statement, nothing, they just excepted everyone's money with no "Just a heads up, it could be delayed", anything. I don't mind at all that it is delayed, just the fact nothing was mentioned, no warning, and no problem taking peoples money knowing it may be problems. Forget the $15,I would rather have an apology for not letting us know, taking our money and what could happen then an apology for the delay.

JohnOnSprint wrote:

so where is your complaint exactly? They didn't create, cause or expect a delay of this magnitude.  The fact that they gave you a $15 credit says that they are paying you for the loss of service do not have without the device.  You need to focus your anger toward Apple who has caused this mess.  Perhaps Tim Cook will try to undo some more of the ännihilate android war started by Steve Jobs

Doctechx wrote:

I couldn't disagree more.  Sprint knew or should have known about this, and should have been in front of it.  I'm not saying that they could control the delay.  I'm saying they have been deceptive and/or incompetent in their response and communication to consumers.  The biggest issue is that Sprint is still unwilling to do the right thing, which is to cancel preorders for customers that wish to do so.  Also, if compensation is so rediculous, why did Sprint give me a $15 dollar credit when I complained about the delay, and the inability to cancel orders.  Obviously $15 is trivial, but they do know they have screwed up, or they would not have done this.

Edit:  I wrote this post even before reading the NY times article.  Very deceptive business practices.  Sprint needs to step up and do the right thing.  Let me cancel now, so I can get a phone, and start a line of service with someone else.

Journeyman

Technically you are right that the expected shipping date has not passed.  However, they have confirmed that we will not receive the phone on 5/18, but cannot confirm when we will receive it.  Why would expectation for cancellation in this situation be hard to understand?

JohnOnSprint wrote:

I'm sure there will be a set policy in place for cancelling this pre-order by this weekend.  Am I the only one who finds it ludicrous to pre-cancel a pre-order?  we can't officially complain about product shipment delays as a reason for cancellation until (the shipment date) May 18th has passed. Technically it has been shipped already, but cannot be shipped further until it is cleared through customs.

OrogenousZones wrote:

Does anyone at Sprint realize how utterly ludicrous the following sounds?

We cannot cancel your pre-order, so please wait for the phone to arrive and refuse delivery.

Does anyone at Sprint understand that the reason why we want to cancel our pre-orders is because of the delay?  What's the point of cancelling once the phone arrives?  And how can you not be able to cancel orders for things that are not even in your warehouses?

I want to cancel NOW because I want to switch to a phone that is available NOW.  I have been with Sprint since 1998 or 1999.  That essentially means that, in cell phone carrier loyalty terms, I have been with Sprint since a few years after the Big Bang.  I expect flexibility from my cell service provider.

We all realize this is not caused by Sprint.  But you essentially own this issue because you have our money, you have our upgrade contracts in hand, and all you are doing is causing a bunch of ILL WILL from your customers.  This is extremely shortsighted, and we will not forget this come contract renewal time, even if it is 2 years from 5/7/2012!!!!!

I want to cancel my order, and I do not accept reasons for that not being possible.  Here is a way that this can be accomplished:

1. Open up the upgrade ability for people who pre-ordered the EVO LTE.

2. Accept upgrade orders for other phones.

3. If you really can't cancel the shipment of the EVO LTE, then give us 2-3 weeks to return them when they DO show up.

3.a  If we don't return then, then charge us $700 or whatever the non-upgrade price is.

How hard can that be???

Highlighted
Journeyman

I AGREE

Journeyman

I don't buy this... If these phones had not passed customs, how did Sprint get access to pack them for shipping.

Message was edited by: dshoem01 - removed link to an unofficial Sprint blog inadvertently provided by a Sprint rep

Journeyman

This would be a good policy for all carriers to adopt. AND THEY ALL SHOULD.    if sprint is the first to adopt such a policy, it may keep them as the JD Power and Associates #1 rating carrier for customer service.

SSQ wrote:

We can understand how shipments work all we want, but perhaps in the future they will wait until the phone's are in the country before they go announcing stuff - or better yet, before they go collecting people's non-refundable money.  It's all about having a process in place that will not only ensure things go right when something goes wrong, but will also keep your customers happy.

Journeyman

As a 13+year customer myself I do feel your pain. In the interest of the customers they will more than likely waive the activation fee.  Whenever I have had such an issue that could not be resolved over the phone(the exception for instant resolution over the phone is calling from a third world country in an active warzone), the service reps at the store were able to waive the fees for me.

SSQ wrote:

$15 doesn't even cover the activation fee. Such a slap in the face to customers, especially 10+ year customers like myself.

Journeyman

I'll be honest: I have a perfectly-working 3D right now. I don't NEED another new phone. I guess my concern is just how Sprint handled this. I ordered 3rd party through Target. My guy there had ZERO clue that there were any issues. I only knew because I have a news alert set up for the EVO LTE. It took almost 24 hours for an update from Sprint. I just wish they would have handled it a little better. The situation isn't their fault, but I'd feel better had they been more proactive about getting us some info and answers.

That said, my 10th anniversary is next week, and I'd love to have this thing by the time I leave on vacation on the 27th.

Journeyman

I am just going to say this once... and hopefully people will listen.

This is not the fault of HTC or Sprint.

This is firstly a failure of the current patent system this country has and worldwide to a larger extent... especially when it comes to matters related to software. Software or methods to accomplish something in software should NEVER be a patentable point. Call your legislators to support a full rewrite of the patent system and this includes removing many or all current patents especially regarding software.

Secondly and more importantly... this is the fault of Apple whom has continously demonstrated themselves to be a predatory company that is attempting to shut down all of their competition. For all of the grieft Microsoft has gotten it still surprises me to this day why the same attention was never given to Apple when they have been far more damaging, controlling, and destructive of competition. Sprint should be ashamed of that "deal" they made with Apple that is so obivously bad for them from a business stand point and in fact it is Apple whom has now demostrated actively working AGAINST the best interests of Spring as a company. Sprint, the employees, the executives, and the share holders need to realize what has and is happening.

Today has marked a rare occasion for me... previously I was largely indifferent to Apple, merely perferring other products over theirs. Today I am now against Apple as a company and will now actively work against their products. There is a saying... nothing lasts forever and the bigger they are the harder the fall. One day... maybe not today, this month, or this year... but one day they too will come to pass. Such is any "Bubble" company mostly reliant on their "image" to be successful... and they are not the only ones.

I will continue to monitor this and hopefully this will be resolved sooner rather than later if at all. I will not cancel my preorder for the Evo 4G LTE to upgrade my original EVO 4G and I do not fault Sprint or HTC for this situation. This is everything to do with Apple's interference... and I will be communicating this with my locale Sprint store about my displeasure of them carrying Apple products and will urge them to discontinue supporting them.

Good Night and good luck!

The GameMaster.

Journeyman

You may be correct. Im not expert on that type of thing. I just read that it had something to do with the menu of hyperlink.

Journeyman

Hey John, I'm on my "IFad" and I can't even like your comment...seems to me that if Apple put more effort into improving their inadequate products versus frivolous patent lawsuits they just may become a true competitor. But  that would mean actually being innovative.

Journeyman

If I looked in my soup of cell phone box I can name three phones that did it: Mogul, Touch Pro, and Touch Pro 2. Maybe even one of my old Blackberries...I think.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat