cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 4G LTE - NOW SHIPPING

Wizard

Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE - DELAY

Sprint are doing away with wimax.

the LTE evo 4G does NOT have a wimax radio in it.

Journeyman

I keep telling myself that I'm going to stay away from checking the web for the latest status update but I'm just fooling myself.

Master

MSDEEDEE99

Please do not use all CAPS when responding as noted in the Sprint Community Guidelies.

mapesy

Journeyman

What a wirlwind couple of days. I've been wtih Sprint since about '97. I haven't always been happy, but I have been happy enough to stay with them. I've decided to limp along for another few days on my crippled phone in hopes that they'll deliver my new phone by 5/23. A few things I've learned through this process:

• Sprint could do a better job of keeping customers informed.
  • Sprint could do a better job of keeping their own CSRs informed.
  • Sprint could do a better job of training their own sales reps prior to a major product launch.
  • Sprint could do a better job of doing a competitive analysis prior to a major pruduct launch and offer it's customers similar discounts (i.e Best Buy).

All companies stumble from time to time. What a company learns from those stumbles is what sets the winners apart from the losers. A note to Sprint management:

• Organizations are led from the top, wether it's leaders choose to lead or not.

I won't leave Sprint over this fiasco, but I would like to see some consideration. I'd like to see them waive the activation fee. That seems fair to me. Hang in there Sprint people. You're in a pickle, but it's not unrecoverable.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I hope they resolve this soon.  Like many others, I was getting this phone to replace my original EVO.  But, unlike many others, I was going to give my original EVO to my girlfriend.  Now she won't give it up until she has my old phone working for her.  Apple screwing me is no substitute for the real thing!!!

Wizard

I removed your personal information from the post.  If someone else were to use it, you'd be having a lot more interactions with Care in the future. 

Journeyman

You may have to go without a phone for awhile.  What is more important to you?

Journeyman

Here's a wishful thinking update for you preorder folks...

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/business/company-focus/2012/05/19/341548/HTC-confirms.htm

Basically says that the court date set for Apple and HTC mediation in August has nothing to do with the delayed shipment of these two devices.  If this article is to be believed it is still a customs matter of reviewing the phones for compliance, which HTC claims they are.  But of course, that still means you're waiting on the government...so yeah...

Journeyman

That article is confusing because the last line of the article says "HTC said earlier that the patent in question relates to a minor part of the interface and that the company will remove it from all of their phones soon."  That statement conflicts with other statements from HTC indicating that the function has already been removed.  Honestly, as upset as this whole situation makes me, I hope HTC fights this thing to the bitter end vs. settling with Apple.  As has been pointed out, this functionality is in many phones (including the old Blackberry handsets my employer used).  It is functionality built into the base version of Android.  I realize that older phones are exempt because the ruling only applies to post 4/18/2012 imports, but the fact that Apple continues to patent such basic functionality (that they didn't even develop) is rediculous.  I don't think companies should be able to patent anything unless they can prove that they developed it.  Otherwise, someone could develop something in their garage, and give it to the world for free.  Then Apple or any other monster corp. could take the idea and patent it as their own.  Then the original developer could be sued for distributing his/her own creation. That would be crazy.  Oh wait, that already happens. 

Master

Doctechx wrote:

That article is confusing because the last line of the article says "HTC said earlier that the patent in question relates to a minor part of the interface and that the company will remove it from all of their phones soon."  That statement conflicts with other statements from HTC indicating that the function has already been removed.  Honestly, as upset as this whole situation makes me, I hope HTC fights this thing to the bitter end vs. settling with Apple.  As has been pointed out, this functionality is in many phones (including the old Blackberry handsets my employer used).  It is functionality built into the base version of Android.  I realize that older phones are exempt because the ruling only applies to post 4/18/2012 imports, but the fact that Apple continues to patent such basic functionality (that they didn't even develop) is rediculous.  I don't think companies should be able to patent anything unless they can prove that they developed it.  Otherwise, someone could develop something in their garage, and give it to the world for free.  Then Apple or any other monster corp. could take the idea and patent it as their own.  Then the original developer could be sued for distributing his/her own creation. That would be crazy.  Oh wait, that already happens. 

And thus... why our patent system in the US is fundamentally flawed and must be started from scratch again in my opinion. The patent system was originally developed with only a 5 year exclusive system in place. After that time, the technology or idea became public domain. The exclusive period gave the developer time to make a profit from their original idea before competitors could produce alternatives. In addition, there had to be an actual product developed for the idea. You could not simply patent an idea and not do anything with it, that would invalidate your claim on the patent. Once these restrictions were removed we now have patent trolls that "invent" ideas and then sit on them. In addition, most patents now are so vague they probably shouldn't be granted at all to begin with.

Journeyman

Well that's true, and if HTC must remove it from all phones soon then yes we're most likely talking weeks.  Unless of course they are able to do it in a software update when you activate the phone.  Honestly, nobody truly knows anything right now...but if I were a preorder I'd wait out next week as hard as that could be for more accurate information.  Honestly, if you're due for an upgrade there aren't very many choices as powerful and well reviewed as this phone has been until the next galaxy launch.  But if I didn't have word by the end of next week, I too would suggest a refund. 

Journeyman

Yes I read someplace a few days ago saying all HTC would have to do is have an update that would remove or change the way the software works.That should not take weeks they probably are working on one just in case.There was to be a conference call today with HTC & Sprint any new news?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat