cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 4G LTE - NOW SHIPPING

Wizard

Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE - DELAY

How do you fault Apple for protecting their intellectual property?  As insignificant as it might seem, a court of law found that Apple owns the technology to identify certain plain text items as phone numbers or e-mail addresses and convert them into cliclable links.  HTC was found to have violated Apple's intellectual property and told to fix it months ago.  HTC knew the enforcement date was 17 Apr.  They were probably overly hopeful that no one would enforce this.  They were wrong.

Journeyman

Hello,

The problem is the patents are questinable to begin with. They may as well file a patent for "combining words and spaces to make a sentence". I dont blame companies for protecting IP but can you call "clicking on a name in a SMS message to bring up the contacts application" proper IP?

Wizard

I don't disagree that Apple is overzealous in defending what they perceive as theirs.  However, most of their cases never make it to court.  Since this one was actually ruled in favor of Apple, there must have been some clear copying of code to reach the point of holding shipments.

Wizard

I heard we're trying to get these email notifications sent out today.

Journeyman

Well first of all that Patent apple claims to own is BS. I had a blackberry long before an iPhone ever exsisted and phone numbers always turned into clickable links. So if its the way its being described and Im understanding right, the so called patent is a bunch of BS.

Journeyman

Looks like due to the traffic on this forum it may be to little to late, lol looks like plan B should have been laid out incase of any issues. I know that this issue may have not been a concern but language for a shipping catastrophy could have been reworded very easily.

Just sayin'

We'll see Sprints next move, funny still no press release. Looking like amatures for the moment.

Wizard

Agree, those that frequent the internet already have the information.  The emails will reach those who don't check the forums/blogs. 

Journeyman

Thanks, Maybe you could also update the order status page

Wizard

I don't claim to be a patent laywer...I'm just saying Apple has lawsuits dismissed frequently because they're unfounded.  If a court of law upheld the patent in this case, it's likely the problem isn't WHAT HTC did, but HOW they do it.

Journeyman

The clear copying of code.....is directly proportionate to the amount of money Apple will make in delaying these phones...nothing more.  From what I have read, Ice cream sandwich has the same feature built into it stand alone.  The fact they are holding up HTC is because of what happened 2 years ago when the Evo was released and it damaged sales of the Iphone.  Evo was the first with a front facing camera, amazingly...Apple followed....years ago, there was a phone called the HTC touch.....before....the Iphone...amazingly...Apple followed with that technology.  Without the ability to reinvent the wheel so to speak.....the IPhone wouldn't be where it is now, nor would all the other phones we love to use. This is nothing more than Apple trying to hang on to their market share. Apple did not invent the technology to use a hyperlink.  The patent is so broad that this is merely a ploy to delay sales and production. Research will tell you that the first touchscreen phone was made by IBM and yet most companies currently use that technology today. Main point....Apple has fought with Microsoft, HTC and Google over numerous issues....quit trying to monopolize every facet of technology and let progress happen to benefit the consumer.  Improvements can be made to simple items to make them better...stop trying to halt this for the sake of another buck. No one is trying to re-invent the wheel, but if the wheel wasn't allowed to be improved upon, we would still be looking for good forests to produce them.

Journeyman

I'm really surprised at the arrogance here from the customers.  I too have preordered an EVO 4G LTE that I am super excited for.  I've been waiting for HTC and Sprint to come up with a new flagship for over a year (let's face it, the EVO 3D just wasn't a big enough step up)... so I'm just as anxious for this new phone as everyone else is (ask my wife, she's tired of hearing about it ).  However, what happened today with the US Customs in no way had anything to do with SPRINT.  If you do some google searches, you'll read some tech stories about how US Customs has blocked passage of a giant shipment of EVO 4G LTEs and ONE Xs (basically the same phone) because of a copyright dispute Apple won in December.  Sprint and HTC were probably just as broadsided by this information as all of us were. 

But here's the deal... Sprint is on our side here... they're purchasing a product from HTC just like we are purchasing a product from Sprint.  Sprint was supposed to get its product last night and is now saying WTF, just like many of you are.  The negotiations that are happening now are probably between HTC and US Customs.  Not Sprint.  Sprint can't communicate with you information that they don't have.  If US Customs and HTC don't know when or if the phones will be released, then how can Sprint know?  So, are you suggesting that Sprint arbitrarily pull a new release date out the air to appease you today just so that when that day comes they can disappoint you again?  Of course not.

So, all this to say, think of the circumstances outside of yourselves, put yourself in someone else's shoes and try to understand the positions they might be in.  And to the member who so selfishly suggested that Sprint ought to compensate for circumstances completely outside their control.... when did we raise such dependent, self-centered sissies?

Sprint, keep up the good work.  The phone looks beautiful and I can't wait to hold it when this whole messy legal mess gets settled.

Patiently waiting,

Journeyman

Just to add, the Late Steve Jobs made it his public mission to distroy Android.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat