cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 4G LTE Overheating.

Journeyman

HTC EVO 4G LTE Overheating.

I received  my HTC Evo 4G LTE two days ago as a replacement for my original EVO that is going to turn 2 years old soon. I have seen this phone overheats with about every application I use. Facebook, Youtube, games, or even just surfing the web the phone will overheat in less than 3 minutes of use. The overheating doesnt seem to come from the battery section of the phone but near the camera. Am suspecting the processor maybe? Is anybody else experinecing these type of problems? In addition by battery life sucks. I get more battery life out of my original EVO. Really dissapointed so far.

23 REPLIES 23
Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE Overheating.

Yes, I have the same problem(s) as well. I am waiting for someone knowledgeable to help us all out. I don't think it's going to be any time soon though.

Highlighted
Master

For your battery life, be sure to switch from LTE/CDMA to CDMA only. Also, if your not using WIFI and Bluetooth, disable them so they aren't checking for devices constantly. My phone has had phenomenal battery life so far.

As for the overheating, I've noticed the phone getting warm but not really hot. And yes, I have also noticed it more towards the top half of the phone instead of the bottom half.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Have been taking pictures and had no heat issue but as soon as I starting taking video's it started to get hot around the camera lens. I was only taping for 6 or 7 minutes. Not good.

Journeyman

there are ground plates attached to the back of the cover near camera. I assume that how the heat is disappated. That portion comes off to insert a memory card. You will see the strips. But yea it gots hot.

Journeyman

I had the same issue before taking it back yesterday.  That was one of the few problems I forgot to mention when speaking with the Sprint employee.  My wife even commented on how hot the speaker was when pressed against your ear.  I have a feeling this phone has major issues.  This was my first and last dance with HTC.  I turned my ole trusty Blackberry 9650 back on.  Not the greatest but, at least it works.

Master

If your referring to the copper strips on the inside of the cover, those are actually for the antennae's. Leave the cover off and see how well your signal works, you'll see what I mean.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Just so you know the phone layout. The phones motherboard is in the top half above the kickstand and the battery is in the bottom portion below the kickstand.  So it is expected that the phone would heat up in the camera area.  If you want to see what the inside of your phone looks like check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiKpHr8RLBs&feature=player_embedded

Journeyman

You are correct the phone heats up especially when you turn the camera on. I was told by Sprint Tech to take it back within the 14 days, that over heating is not a good sign. The battery also seems to take a long time to fully charge. If everyone else is having heat problems then there has to be something wrong with this new phone. They are not supposed to heat up.

Journeyman

My EVO LTE is a week old and started the same. Best Buy tech told me that I had apps  running in the background and to use the "task manager" to close them. There's a task manager icon in the apps section.

Master

Now, when we say overheating, are we talking about "it's too hot to the touch" or "just gets warmer then you expected" in the top half of the phone?

When you use allot of apps the phone get's warm, but I wouldn't say it's overheating. I have access ot 4 of these phones right now and they all seem to get warm to the touch when used heavily.

--

Journeyman

Hi smotrs,

I'm having the same issue as the OP.

here's exactly what's happening with my device:

During general use (emails, flipping through the UI panels, and using apps that are not graphicly-intensive) the phone performs just fine and there are no issues whatsoever (at least for my device).

When using processor intensive features like burst photography, HDR images, high-def video, or while playing graphically intensive games (for me, games like StrikeFleet: Omega where there's lots going on on the screen at once) the phone will gradually heat up and become fairly hot to the touch. The heat is not a big problem, however in some circumstances the phone itself will do one of two things:

1. case one: in strikefleet omega (a game app) the app itself will freeze momentarily then after about 5 to 10 seconds the app itself will simply close and I'll be back at the homescreen. This always occurs during "hot-to-touch" phone moments, never as a "glitch" in the game during menu selection or anything like that (so while possible, I dont think it's a coding issue on the game itself).

2. case two: during extensive photography the phone will freeze (often leaving a line or two of bright green or red "glitched" pixels across the frozen screen) and the phone will eventually shut itself off and reset, sometimes it will reset itself multiple times.

Here are some further insights:

1. I've never rooted my phone nor tampered with anything outside of changing "normal use" settings and loading / unloading apps from the Google Play store (i know poorly written apps can cause problems, however the camera is a OEM feature).

2. internal storage is 2.09GB total with 766mb available. (apps taking up 1.3gb)

3. phone storage is 9.93GB total with 8.77GB available.

4. storage card is 15.005GB total with 13.77GB available.

5. I'm using a Samsung 16GB micro SD Class 10 HC card (this could be a culprit?)

6. I'm using the case Sprint sent me as an appology for the late shipment on pre-orders (it's a blue silicon case with HTC logo on the back).

7. I notice that the phone will get so hot during both overheat cases that the silicon becomes extra soft and comes off the phone very easily (even when sliding the phone back into my pocket).

8. I've recreated case 1 and 2 even with the case off (I thought maybe the case was insulating the phone and preventing heat disprersion)

All signs seem to point to a CPU overheat issue but there might actually be an issue with the highspeed SD-card -- I recently moved the game from the SD card to the internal memory and have been having a more difficult time recreating the freeze in the game, but I'll continue to try and update later.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat