cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 4G LTE Overheating.

Master

Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE Overheating.

Now, when we say overheating, are we talking about "it's too hot to the touch" or "just gets warmer then you expected" in the top half of the phone?

When you use allot of apps the phone get's warm, but I wouldn't say it's overheating. I have access ot 4 of these phones right now and they all seem to get warm to the touch when used heavily.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Hi smotrs,

I'm having the same issue as the OP.

here's exactly what's happening with my device:

During general use (emails, flipping through the UI panels, and using apps that are not graphicly-intensive) the phone performs just fine and there are no issues whatsoever (at least for my device).

When using processor intensive features like burst photography, HDR images, high-def video, or while playing graphically intensive games (for me, games like StrikeFleet: Omega where there's lots going on on the screen at once) the phone will gradually heat up and become fairly hot to the touch. The heat is not a big problem, however in some circumstances the phone itself will do one of two things:

1. case one: in strikefleet omega (a game app) the app itself will freeze momentarily then after about 5 to 10 seconds the app itself will simply close and I'll be back at the homescreen. This always occurs during "hot-to-touch" phone moments, never as a "glitch" in the game during menu selection or anything like that (so while possible, I dont think it's a coding issue on the game itself).

2. case two: during extensive photography the phone will freeze (often leaving a line or two of bright green or red "glitched" pixels across the frozen screen) and the phone will eventually shut itself off and reset, sometimes it will reset itself multiple times.

Here are some further insights:

1. I've never rooted my phone nor tampered with anything outside of changing "normal use" settings and loading / unloading apps from the Google Play store (i know poorly written apps can cause problems, however the camera is a OEM feature).

2. internal storage is 2.09GB total with 766mb available. (apps taking up 1.3gb)

3. phone storage is 9.93GB total with 8.77GB available.

4. storage card is 15.005GB total with 13.77GB available.

5. I'm using a Samsung 16GB micro SD Class 10 HC card (this could be a culprit?)

6. I'm using the case Sprint sent me as an appology for the late shipment on pre-orders (it's a blue silicon case with HTC logo on the back).

7. I notice that the phone will get so hot during both overheat cases that the silicon becomes extra soft and comes off the phone very easily (even when sliding the phone back into my pocket).

8. I've recreated case 1 and 2 even with the case off (I thought maybe the case was insulating the phone and preventing heat disprersion)

All signs seem to point to a CPU overheat issue but there might actually be an issue with the highspeed SD-card -- I recently moved the game from the SD card to the internal memory and have been having a more difficult time recreating the freeze in the game, but I'll continue to try and update later.

Master

I'm assuming you have performed both OTA updates, the one from a few days ago and the earlier one 6 weeks ago. I haven't heard too many issues regarding overheating since the first update. However, I can't for sure say it was fixed either.

I would also try removing the case altogether, it could be retaining heat. If it does heat up and shut down an app, try the following from the phone dialer as soon as you can to see what the temperature is

• *#*#4636#*#*
  • Select battery Info

and take a screen shot, Power Button + Volume Down simultaniously.

Post the information here so we and Sprint can see and I would also then report it to HTC at the following,

http://www.htc.com/us/support/email-support

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Mine overheats too.  For me it's due to poor signal  (Toledo, OH, near Whitmer High school)  Yesterday according to battery monitor widget I hit 109 degrees in a restaurant. It felt like a super pocket warmer. Airplane mode cures it unfortunately...

Journeyman

I am really not liking this hot ass phone. And now I can't watch sprint TV because it won't pick up a location

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been noticing that my EVO gets really hot ONLY when I have it charging in my truck.   I have a battery app that monitors temperatures as well, and today on a 20 minute drive home from school, it registered the battery temp at 128 degrees.  

Master

I'd suggest getting in touch with HTC regarding that high of a temperature, 53c if I'm not mistaken.

By chance was the phone sitting in the sun while charging? Running Navigation app while charging? Both? Those seem to cause the most heat from what I've seen.

--

GrandMaster

also how was the reception while you were traveling? this will have a pretty big affect on the temp of the phone especially while its charging..and to be honest the phone should have shut down not much higher than that...its a safety deal..it would have shut down and normally they blink out a amber/green notification light at you when it over heats.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Well, it wasn't sitting in the sun, but it was running navigation.   Interestingly enough though, I ran a test over the weekend on this issue, and when I run navigation while charging at home on a home charger....not hot at all.   Running navigation while charging in a car....hotter than Hades.

Journeyman

Can't answer as to the reception.   I wasn't talking o it when it got hot.  Just running navigation in my car while plugged into the car charger.   But now that you mention the amber/green light...I have seen that a few times and never knew why it was doing that.  It never shut down though.

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.