cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 4G LTE Overheating.

Master

Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE Overheating.

I'm assuming you have performed both OTA updates, the one from a few days ago and the earlier one 6 weeks ago. I haven't heard too many issues regarding overheating since the first update. However, I can't for sure say it was fixed either.

I would also try removing the case altogether, it could be retaining heat. If it does heat up and shut down an app, try the following from the phone dialer as soon as you can to see what the temperature is

• *#*#4636#*#*
  • Select battery Info

and take a screen shot, Power Button + Volume Down simultaniously.

Post the information here so we and Sprint can see and I would also then report it to HTC at the following,

http://www.htc.com/us/support/email-support

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Mine overheats too.  For me it's due to poor signal  (Toledo, OH, near Whitmer High school)  Yesterday according to battery monitor widget I hit 109 degrees in a restaurant. It felt like a super pocket warmer. Airplane mode cures it unfortunately...

Journeyman

I am really not liking this hot ass phone. And now I can't watch sprint TV because it won't pick up a location

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been noticing that my EVO gets really hot ONLY when I have it charging in my truck.   I have a battery app that monitors temperatures as well, and today on a 20 minute drive home from school, it registered the battery temp at 128 degrees.  

Master

I'd suggest getting in touch with HTC regarding that high of a temperature, 53c if I'm not mistaken.

By chance was the phone sitting in the sun while charging? Running Navigation app while charging? Both? Those seem to cause the most heat from what I've seen.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
GrandMaster

also how was the reception while you were traveling? this will have a pretty big affect on the temp of the phone especially while its charging..and to be honest the phone should have shut down not much higher than that...its a safety deal..it would have shut down and normally they blink out a amber/green notification light at you when it over heats.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Well, it wasn't sitting in the sun, but it was running navigation.   Interestingly enough though, I ran a test over the weekend on this issue, and when I run navigation while charging at home on a home charger....not hot at all.   Running navigation while charging in a car....hotter than Hades.

Journeyman

Can't answer as to the reception.   I wasn't talking o it when it got hot.  Just running navigation in my car while plugged into the car charger.   But now that you mention the amber/green light...I have seen that a few times and never knew why it was doing that.  It never shut down though.

GrandMaster

Re: HTC EVO 4G  LTE Overheating.

normallly the phone is supposed to shut down once it hits a certain temp..to be honest one of the techs might have to answer that one and why it hasnt shut itself down automatically once it hit those temps..a bit of a hazard if you ask me.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Master

Could be possible that the charger is overcharging the phone resulting in the increased heat while in your car. What's considered too hot, don't know. I've heard different numbers in the past.

I agree with Fireguy though, the phone should shutoff if it get's too hot.

--

Journeyman

Mine seems to get hot when trying to transfer data and even though I have a data connection the app like sugarsync photo backup or play store etc. Will drain my battery quickly and make it real hot a reboot fixes it but sucks losing 25% of my battery in a half hour would be more if I didn't feel the heat on my hip.

GrandMaster

even though you have a data connection is it pretty slow? if its lagged down or really slow the phone will heat up as well when its getting taxed on by something

Community News

Please help us to keep our Community a positive laughing and helpful innocent space for all members cool.
Be sure to read our Rules & Guidelines and if you have any concerns surprised just send a private sealed message to @Seawolf or @A11ey, and we'll check it out!