cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement

Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement

A prime example of the anger Sprint has created by keeping customers in the dark. I wont' fault Sprint 100%. All buisness involves an element of risk. Risk though, requires management and plans for mitigation.

Sprint has failed to display any risk management plan. Risk management would dictate that as soon as Sprint confirmed the phone was being held by customs, executives would meet at headquarters. A statement to customers would follow up informing them of the basic situation and more to follow. Customer Service would begin working on a way to refund pre-orders

The next day (today) Sprint would have deployed a more detailed message to customers along with the refund option.

90-95 percent would have been understanding. A few would complain, but they always do. You can't control them.

Instead, Sprint chose to

1. Deny Refunds
  2. Has yet to e-mail customers
  3. Has refused activily to issue a statement when multiple media outlets are reporting it.
Highlighted
Journeyman

waive the upgrade fee!

Journeyman

Pain in the neck, is it not? 

Sprint has a lot of people waiting on this EVO LTE, and now it's delayed by what amounts to the tech industry equivalent of a schoolyard fight--a patent battle.  At the heart is whether Android and/or one of its myriad front-ends from HTC and other manufacturers contains source code or any implementation of such code that impinges upon intellectual property claimed by Apple, Inc. 

Apple, for its part, maintains that Google and phone manufacturers have indeed willfully stolen ideas that Apple has claimed as its own, many of which relate to how the OS and software perform certain tasks on the devices.  Apple has yet to prove its allegations fully in a court of law, but thus far has been able to prove enough of them so as to create reasonable doubt within the minds of a US International Trade Commission panel reviewing the case, that the others have NOT stolen these ideas.  On this reasonable doubt, the ITC has chosen to side with Apple's claims and has as such, at Apple's request, placed a hold on NEW devices containing the code in dispute, including the new EVO phones.  Based on what has been reported through the tech press so far, the Android code is still in review, but with the hold in effect, phone manufacturers may not import new phones until this review is finished AND Apple's claims are disproven beyond any reasonable doubt.  These same manufacturers may, however, ship phones that contained the infringing code and were already on the US market--as replacements for existing models.

The Android alliance claims to the contrary, of course, and is fighting to keep the platform alive as has been the case these past few years.  Any win by Apple in this dispute, and the whole of Android may be force-dissolved, meaning that all these other parties must develop an OS that in no way impinges on Apple's claims.

It may be just as simple as reworking the impinging code, but with thousands of handsets in use and scores of Android manifestations, it won't be an easy task to rework said code.

Having restated these facts, in no way should Sprint or any other carrier take a fall for what has happened.  How could carriers have known that the phones they want to sell contain somebody else's ideas?  Their executives can't possibly review every single phone and give due acknowledgment to whomever created it.  Carriers start with one purpose: to make money while providing their customer base with services it wants.  In many respects they are so far removed from this battle that they can do nothing.  Any anger directed toward carriers and carrier affiliates will do ABSOLUTELY NAUGHT to solve the dispute, though consumers should be encouraged to petition the carriers to get involved in ways that the carriers are able.  If consumers themselves get involved, it'll be through the feedback given to phone makers; you've got to suggest features that by and large you want and ways to implement them that DO NOT impinge upon anybody else's methods.

Maybe all this makes sense, maybe not.  I'd be remiss if I, an Apple device owner, don't support what Android backers are fighting for.  Competition is a very good thing--that's why we've chosen Sprint over the others, good or bad as it may be.

--NA

Journeyman

My concern is as follows:

It seems ... unlikely ... that Sprint has zero stock in the US. The customs issue was announced days before release; surely most if not all of the preorder phones made it to US soil before they supply got cut off. I am concerned that Sprint might be deliberately delaying shipping out preorder phones to avoid having the buzzkill of people showing off their new phones to friends and said friends being unable to purchase devices in-store, thereby costing Sprint new customers. If this is the case, I am as outraged as everyone else. I think that any phones Sprint has should be shipped immediately, filling orders while the supply lasts in the order the orders were placed.

If Sprint could somehow convince me that they genuinely have no stock, well, that would be a tragedy (a very suspicious tragedy), but understandable. I would not hold the delay against them in that circumstance.

Journeyman

While I'm glad to see an official announcement (even tho i had to search it out) I'm disappointed in Sprint for how they handled this. It seems as if there was deliberate misinformation put out for this. I've got 3 of these phones on order, so quite a bit of money invested...

I ordered on the 7th,

on the 11th got an email saying my order was processing and i should look for shipping info.

on the 14th sprint announced stores opening early on the 18th for launch.

I saw a quote in a story saying this has been going on for over a month, so what gives...take our money and sit on it, refuse refunds? how is this good customer care? How can sprint sell something it doesn't have (but seemingly claims it does?).

I can tell you as a customer i won't participate in a preorder again. I hope sprint does something to try and rebuild trust with it's customer base.

Journeyman

I would have to say, I am a little more at ease hearing some sort of official announcement as to what's going on with our phones (that each of us shelled out somewhere between $140-$200 for).  Do I blame Sprint for the issue with US Customs?  Not at all.  I've dealt with incoming/outgoing eBay orders where I have had things stuck in customs.  It happens... nothing you can do about it.  Am I disappointed with Sprint for the lack of communications, and conflict resolutions? ABSOLUTELY.

I have worked in the wireless industry before, and as stated earliler 90%-95% of people, had they been informed the minute that Sprint was made aware of this, would have probably in their head expressed their disgust (usually using some sort of profanity -- Ex: "You've got to be Fu**ing kidding me!"), maybe made a customer service phone call just to clarify what happened, but that would be about the extent of it.  THe other 10% are just going to be completely irrational and unpleased and overdramatic (However, even if this launch would be rolling according to original plan, those 10% would still find something to complain about... nothing you can do about those).  Being it is now May 17th (The day before the proposed launch), I don't check these forums religiously because I work two jobs and barely ever have time.  I was starting to get a little worried, because I still had no tracking number, ship date.. and even though it wasn't promised, when I hear "we'll do our best to get it to you on or before the public release date" I would assume that it would still have to be shipped sooner than the day before the public release date to honor that statement. 

When I checked the forums to see what was going on with anyone/everyone else who had pre-ordered, I kinda fell into a state of sheer shock (followed very closely with severe disappointment).  This is an issue that has been going on for a couple of days now, this is the day before the projected release date, we've already spent out money (some of us have been saving since they announced when/where you could preorder, so $199 is a lot of freakin' money when you really don't have it), and we're expected to just figure it out on our own?  Here's the way I see it... You (Sprint) promised me something, I fulfilled the conditions on my end that you requested i fulfill before i could receive this something you promised, you find out there's an issue that could cause you to break that promise, and you just blow me off and refuse to credit me back?  I don't want a refund anyway, I'm just going to sit and patiently wait with my 2 year old EVO that is coming apart right down the center and hope that it holds on another week (because I can't afford to do an insurance claim, since I just spent that on my upgrade).  To me, that's shady business.

Most of us here can agree that yeah, it would have sucked having to wait a little longer... but had we just gotten a courtesy email (Even if it was a freakin' automated mass email to everyone at once) letting us know there were some issues , its out of your control, but that you're working on it... we could have accepted that.  Glad I had this time early this morning to go and check user forums to find out what's wrong, since my own service provider didn't care enough to do so.  Enough rambling... I have to go to work.

I will never pre-order again.  I worked for Sprint during the pre-order for the PPC 6700 -- you guys remember that one?  Same situation, except the amount of pre-orders far outweighed the number of units that were actually in stock in the US.  Basically lets go ahead and take everyone's money and get the orders in... then drop the ball that oops... our bad... we should have limited those, or counted... or something. 

Journeyman

There is a wearhouse loaded in Kentucky with the preordered phone,something just isnt adding up

Journeyman

Journeyman

Sprint does have stock. They have all the stock they originally ordered sitting in a UPS wharehouse in Louisville, KY ready to ship. There is a customs ban on releasing the phones. I think there is a misunderstanding that because customs wont let them through to US that it means they are sitting at a port in the ocean unable to physically come onto US soil. Thats not the case. Legally Sprint cannot give the go ahead and ship until Customs says GO.

Journeyman

Exactly. 

http://insidesprintnow.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/6am-update-htc-gets-help-from-economics-minister-som...

According to this they could be (and more than likely are) sitting in this "bonded customs area" waiting to be released in the UPS facility.  My understanding is, as soon as the feds give the go-ahead they'll be stuffed in trucks and out the door.

That's Logistics.™

Journeyman

Well it’s finally gotten to the point where there is no excuse for the missteps of the Sprint management or their board of directors. This debacle with the HTC EVO 4G LTE has no explanation or excuse, there should be no delay, this product should have been pre-cleared with customs which is done thousands of times each day and if not Sprint should not have put so much on the line with promotion of this device. Sprint knew there were problems with this device several days ago when their inept IT team tried to isolate these orders and move them to a place where they could handle the onslaught of cancelations and only created more turmoil for their customers with a backorder statement. It’s time to remove the management from the Shangri LA office campus in Kansas and get some people to run a company in there. Sprint has created a scenario where we are captives of their system, they have our money, and we can’t get it back. Call you bank. Credit Card Company, and your congressional representative. This is their problem not ours.

Journeyman

Wanted to quote this because I couldn't of said it better. I really have enjoyed my service and love the new EVO, but I'm most likely switching from Sprint because of their lack of communications and how they handled this situation. As GPRIMR1 said, 90-95 percent would be understanding, and I'd definitely be one of those, but when I have to find out that something I already paid for and was promised to receive by a certain time is not going to be here on some Tech Blog and not from Sprint themselves.. that's garbage. I run a web design business and if I did this to a client (replace "phone" with "website") I'd be let go so fast, possibly sued. I still have not received an email from Sprint!!

This is really the excuse for why an email hasn't been sent out? "Yes, we are planning to send emails to those who pre-ordered...it just takes a bit longer to get all the internal system updates in place" Haha what? This is ridiculous.

GPRIMR1 wrote:

A prime example of the anger Sprint has created by keeping customers in the dark. I wont' fault Sprint 100%. All buisness involves an element of risk. Risk though, requires management and plans for mitigation.

Sprint has failed to display any risk management plan. Risk management would dictate that as soon as Sprint confirmed the phone was being held by customs, executives would meet at headquarters. A statement to customers would follow up informing them of the basic situation and more to follow. Customer Service would begin working on a way to refund pre-orders

The next day (today) Sprint would have deployed a more detailed message to customers along with the refund option.

90-95 percent would have been understanding. A few would complain, but they always do. You can't control them.

Instead, Sprint chose to

1. Deny Refunds
  2. Has yet to e-mail customers
  3. Has refused activily to issue a statement when multiple media outlets are reporting it.
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat