Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement

Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement

what do you do for uncle sam?

Journeyman

Im ex Army.  Disabled Vet.  I currently work a GS position at a military school servicing, repairing, and calibraiting their medical equipment.  The specific job title is Biomedical Equipment Technician.

Journeyman

Well I just happen to be a Customs Officer and Im not the one holding the shipment but our office is open 365 days a year 24 hours a day despite what you hear the U.S. Government never shuts down or closes

Journeyman

JNMIII wrote:

Well I just happen to be a Customs Officer and Im not the one holding the shipment but our office is open 365 days a year 24 hours a day despite what you hear the U.S. Government never shuts down or closes

Then you should state that "customs officers" work 365 (which I doubt) instead of saying that "government employees" work 365.  Most gov't employees DO NOT work 365.  They work 40 hrs a week and usually Mon-Fri.

Also its not far fetched that your "customs office" is opened 365 (however I doubt it).  But even so, there is a difference between fully manned Mon-Fri daytime shifts compared to weekend and night shifts.  Technically one person manning a desk and answering the phone will be open 24/7 365.

I would not hold my breath to whatever customs department holding the phones are going to add additional employees over the weekend and go through these phones.  Possible, but highly doubt it

Journeyman

Customs and Border Patrol agents and officers work around the clock at every international port, train station, border crossing, and shipping center. While individual officers take days off, the CBP officers, working under the Department of Homeland Security, work 365/24/7.

No need for the quotes around the titles. That's what they are actually called.

SMH.

Journeyman

As a Customs Officer, would you care to speculate as to why this investigation is taking so long?  It seems like the actual verification process should take about 30 sec.  Since the Taiwanese government has interceeded on HTCs behalf, I thought that would have cleared any red tape or other investigations that may have been holding up this process.  Are they checking every phone, or what?    I'm not even sure how the Customs Officers could really verify this anyway.  Isn't the difference between the context menu launch and the app association menu open to interpretation.  It seems like Customs is given a significant amount of power, if these decisions are left to them.  Of course, I suppose that is the nature of the job, and the reason for the office.  Does the verification process involve examination of the device (should be simple), or do they actually have to review millions of lines of software code to look for potentially incriminating code?

Journeyman

My question is what are the customs agents going to inspect? It's not like they are going to open every phone and check that you can't click on data in text messages  etc etc. This sounds more like a typical government screw up because they usually hire the most incompetent people to make these kind of decisions. HTC has already proven that they coded around the patent issue in question, so what the hell do they need to inspect?

Journeyman

and why did s c r e w u p get starred out. LOL

Highlighted
Journeyman

Have been reading a bit into this post and a few online articles about the phone. While I am a bit unhappy as the rest of those that have pre-ordered this phone, or for those that are looking forward to the HTC EVO either from Sprint or AT&T, I cannot put the blame on the carriers for this delay. While the communication could have been a bit better, as I got the updates on this from news articles on the web and not from Sprint. Some people said that they would like to be compensated for this delay, even though it was not Sprint's fault. I think that rather than giving everyone a free activation or some sort of compensation, I would like to see Sprint and AT&T drop Apple. Both companies have spent a lot of money in advertising this new phone, training and what not all to have it thrown back into their faces because Apple does not want any competition, or what ever thier issue is. This whole deal is upsetting to the consumers who want the phone and are awaiting it, and it also is putting pressure on the carries as I am sure that they are getting a lot of greif from all over about this whole deal. Sprint and AT&T should take this whole issue, wrap it up and shove it into Apple's pie hole and tell them to smoke it.

Journeyman

I dont work on the cargo side but I do know that a shipment can be held for an indefinate amount of time pending investigation or that shipment can either be seized and need to be bonded out or have the entire shipment returned to its originating port

Journeyman

KevinA76 wrote:

Customs and Border Patrol agents and officers work around the clock at every international port, train station, border crossing, and shipping center. While individual officers take days off, the CBP officers, working under the Department of Homeland Security, work 365/24/7.

No need for the quotes around the titles. That's what they are actually called.

SMH.

If its a gov't job (not speaking a federal job as they can have different circumstances) you work 40 hrs a week.  I have attached the OPM link on an earlier post explaing hrs, days off, holidays etc.

I understand that no one (individually) works 365/24/7 as obviously that is physically impossible.  I also understand how custom's agents will be working different shifts 24 7.  The school I work at shuts down on the weekends.  But it is not completely empty.  There are a few that work on the weekend and at nights.  Now I understand that customs will be pretty busy 24/7 as they always have shipments coming in all the time.

But I highly doubt the average custom's employee does federal investigation just like with this HTC issue.  I'm sure it is specific team of customs agents who will do these investigations AFTER the proper paperwork is finished. 

My point being just dont hold your breath that a federal investigation involving something with this magnitude will be done over the weekend.

Journeyman

All these issues aside, can we please get some sort of annoucement from Sprint about when we will get our phones? Thank you!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat