ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement

Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement

Exactly! So ridiculous!  Well i'm done waiting i'm cancelling my order and NEVER buying anything apple

Journeyman

I attended the 2012 C.E.S. in Las Vegas, NV. I saw some awesome new cell phones that will be launched this year. The problem is, Sprint is not on many of those list of providers. Look how long it took Sprint to get a contract with Apple. The Samsung Nexus was one of the hottest phones I saw at the show. I was told Sprint will not be a supplier.

...I've been using my Galaxy Nexus for just shy of a month now, since the 4/22 launch. Unless there is a new Nexus coming out that I missed during the recap of CES 2012?

Journeyman

My sources from corporate Sprint in Hawaii says they expect rolling out preorders Monday and Tuesday, but we will see.

Journeyman

Truth. The fact that this 'marvel idea' Apple had is a mere hyperlink...really grinds my gears. They didn't invent a damn thing to do with it. They just slapped it into their phone and claimed it as their own. Sounds..so..familiar..

Doctechx wrote:

It is hard to believe that software code (short of a completely proprietary languages) can be patented.  One of the first ridiculous examples of this is window based scroll bars.  To this day, almost the entire industry pays Microsoft licensing fees to use scroll bars.

Journeyman

A little more of an update. Nothing really earth-shattering.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cant-get-a-one-x-or-evo-4g-lte-dont-blame-apple-or-htc-2012-5

Journeyman

Anyone expecting anything from Sprint is being completely unreasonable. Sprint doesn't owe you anything. It is not Sprint's fault HTC's phone violates patents. Quite yer crying.

Journeyman

I have to agree w/Dluxx on one thing...

You cry babies have to realize that niether Sprint nor HTC have no control over this shipment delay.

You can scour all over the internet and you will find out that Apple is the main coulprit behind this delay!!!!

The U.S. ITC decided to hold the shipment due to "copyright infringement" on HTC's part is complete B.S. IMHO...

I think Apple knows if HTC One X hit the shelves...Apple would have to work "harder" to take their market share back with their iPhone4/5 (no improvements since iPhone1 imo)...

And I know that this is a dirty business trick on Apple's part to stop/delay the shipment to piss people off...

SO STOP CRYING!!!!

SPRINT/HTC DON'T OWE YOU JACK!!!!!

IF YOU WANT TO CRY ABOUT NOT GETTING YOUR PHONE THEN BLAME APPLE!!!!!!!!

I know I am!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

The problem with that thinking is that Sprint and HTC knew there could be issues, as this investigation has already been going on for a month. They took our pre-order money withouth knowing if they would be able to deliver. They gambled with our money, and they lost. It happens.

The BIG issue is the fact that Sprint has said next to nothing to us about what's going on. Shoot, I was just told by an online sales chat that they hope to get my phone to me on or before YESTERDAY. Dude had no clue what was going on. There is more than enough blame to go around with this, and I'm not one of those "give me something for free" guys. But to say Sprint has no blame in this is incorrect, IMO.

That said, this will all be forgiven if I can get my new toy before I leave town a week from today.

Journeyman

There are already threads for blaming Apple as well as HTC. I don't really know how to "quite crying", though. HTC likely didn't infringe on any patent, from what you can gather from any article regarding the issue. It's routine to have customs check product that -can- be in violation of a patent. It's just a crappy situation all around, with  a crappier patent to begin with. Wanting to get some answers from the carrier of the phone, rather than getting a different answer each time you call within a couple hours of time is sure to boil anyones blood, making it much easier to lash out at the carrier. A better way to handle such crappy situations (regardless of how uncommon) should be in their training and CSR guidelines.

So, owing us an honest answer? Yes, we are owed that. Which we are finally getting, sort of.

Owing us the right to cancel our pre-orders? Yep, that too. Which there is now a convoluted way to get this done, if you bug them enough..and wait a couple of weeks. Not letting us cancel a pre-order of a product that has no forseen release date, but still charge us for said product? Negating our upgrade eligablity, or making many wait with a broken phone needing replacement, or no line of service at all due to just joining Sprint? These are all legit reasons to cancel, aside from it needing to be an option regardless. It's bad business, which they're already in the crapper for as it is.

Journeyman

In case you're interested:

Yes, it does seem Apple patented what today seems obvious, but in 1996 when they applied "may not have been".  Although I'd suggest that parsing digitized data structures and selectively highlighting them to be able to perform actions on them seems like something that was already being done in the 70s and 80s, in which case the prior art should have negated the patent award in the first place.

What I find most interesting about this entire issue is that it really goes wayyyy beyond us wanting our phones, Sprint's communications (or lack thereof) about the delay or acceptance of refunds, or even HTC needing to prove to the ITC they aren't violating Apple's patent.  This whole issue boils down very simply to Apple vs. Google, and we're all being impacted at a consumer level by that fight.  All you need to do is review some of the other actions going on right now between these parties.  Android is currently under full-blown attack by Apple, since they are trying to maintain their market dominance and are going after the handset makers who are cutting most into their market share.

As others here have said, the ONLY company to be angry at here is Apple, who is working very hard to prevent CHOICE from being offered to consumers.  As someone who owns multiple Apple computers, but prefers Android for my phone, I'm definitely going to think twice before purchasing another Apple device...

Journeyman

I've read a virtual encyclopedia of angry thread messages on this topic since May 8th when this all went down...but let's cut to the chase in terms of responsibility...

APPLE -> Their lobbyists obviously paid-off some US government entity to effect an embargo and delay HTC's delivery of the new generation of EVO devices.  Which government entity took the graft is about as clear as mud, and I don't expect we will ever find out whose hands were greased. 

ITC (International Trade Commission) -> By their actions, they appear to be acting at the will of, or in tandem with, whatever government entity has been greased.  Additionally, they may well be acting under instructions of the Obama administration by attempting to embargo products produced by foreign companies (ie: HTC) to protect the product of US corporations who can't compete on a level playing field. 

HTC -> Clearly their attorneys did not understand the broad implications and interpretation the December patent decision would have on the importation of their product into the US.  True, there is no precident for what is currently transpiring with US customs, and as such, they could reasonably have expected that the current EVO line would have passed inspection by now. 

SPRINT -> Although there is no hard evidence at the moment, there is circumstantial evidence that leads me to believe that they were aware "there could be a problem."  Particularly troubling is the moving up of the release date of this phone from mid-June to mid-May.

BOTTOM LINE -> If the phones are not released by customs by end of the week (May 25), there is little chance it will be released by the end of the month due to the Memorial Day holiday.  If that occurs, the financial loss to both HTC (unsaleable product) and Sprint (migration of customers) will likely become irreversible.  HTC is already in a bad financial hole, and Sprint is without a flagship phone with which to introduce their LTE network.  The situation could really not be worse for either company.

Journeyman

It's been a while since I've posted......but if its apple vs google....then google where are you when your product (ANDROID) will suffer if all phones are affected........

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat