cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement

Highlighted
Wizard

HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement

Sprint has made an offiical announcement in Sprint News.  See the post here.

5/31 UPDATE: Saturday's the day...please continue discussions in this post.

5/30 UPDATE:

We recently learned that HTC devices have been released by U.S. Customs. We expect shipments of HTC EVO 4G LTE to enter the U.S. in the next few days.  An exact availability date for HTC EVO 4G LTE will be communicated as soon as possible.

5/21 UPDATE:

Customers who pre-ordered HTC EVO 4G LTE…Your wait is almost over! Sprint expects to begin shipping HTC EVO 4G LTE for arrival on or around Thursday, May 24 to customers who pre-ordered the device online from Sprint. We will provide details on the full national launch as soon as possible. To check the status of your pre-order, please visit www.sprint.com/myorder.

Since shipping is in process, we can no longer accept cancellations as noted in the 5/18 update below. 

5/18 Update:

• Cancellation procedure update

We are allowing customers to cancel their pre-order and receive refunds. If you need to cancel your order, you may either call care directly at 866-789-8292, refuse delivery, or request a return authorization kit once your device arrives. For a return kit, please call us at 866-789-8292 during the following business hours: Monday to Friday 8:00 am EST to 11:00 pm EST, and Saturday & Sunday 9:00 am EST to 9:00 pm EST.

Message was edited by: dshoem01 - updated cancellation procedure

Message was edited by: dshoem01 - added 5/21 update

670 REPLIES 670
Highlighted
Journeyman

This phone is really that good and then some. The EVO LTE has blown the competition way out of the water. I received mine May 22, and have been very happy with it. I did check out the other phones, but found this to be the new standard.

Highlighted
Journeyman

the evo lte is a great phone.  nobody can disagree.  it does blow the "currently available" competition way out of the water.  until the samsung galaxy s3 comes out.  the s3 will be the king.  that's why pre orders of the s3 have broken all sales records and samsung is the number one manufacturer of cells phones in the world.  nokia number two. apple number three...and your lovely htc in fourth place.  you don't even get a medal for fourth place.

but like i said...the new evo has some great specs and i'm sure you and many others will enjoy it.  unfortunately for you...it's not the s3.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually...The Droid Razr is a 4G LTE phone runnning on Verizons existing LTE network. My mom has one.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the GSII currently and I would actually rather get the EVO LTE over the GSIII. Not because it's internally better but because it's physically better. The design is just beautiful and made to feel super sturdy. The display has been said to be better than the GSIII as well because of the pentile display on the GSIII. I'll have to compare them when the GSIII actually gets released but for now I'm rooting for the EVO LTE.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually, I can't agree regarding the sd capacity based on Sprint marketing.  I have a 64 gb sd card working in my LTEvo as we speak.  I'm not sure why Sprint and other manufacturers/carriers make this mistake.  I have seen the same mistake made in marketing on other phones (ex. Evo 3D).  You are certainly correct that no one could recognize the pixel difference in the screens.  I think the screen decision goes to what you like better (i.e. true color or oversaturation).  I think you misunderstood what I said on this point previously.  When I said I liked saturated color, I was referring to Samsung AMOLED screens; not the color "issue" that some have reported with pictures on the LTEvo.  I personally like the deep color produced by Samsung AMOLED screens.  AMOLED screens are able to completely remove power at the per pixel level.  This is why they can produce such great blacks.  However, this is also the reason for oversaturation in color, which is the biggest complaint that tech reviewers have with Samsung or any AMOLED screen.  It's good to know that Samsung has corrected the issues they had with GPS.  I'll be honest, if the Note was available for Sprint, that probably would have been my choice.

With regard to battery, I'm sure it is an issue for some depending upon use and need.  For me, it is absolutely not an issue.  I am almost always within reach of a charger.  That brings me to wireless charging.  To me this is a total gimmick.  Seriously, what do you gain?  If it was truly wireless (i.e. could charge my phone within a few feet radius) that would be sweet.  But the "wireless" charging we have currently requires that you place the device on a pad that is plugged into the wall, so what do you really gain?  If I have to put my phone in a certain place to charge wirelessly, why couldn't I just plug it in.

I'll admit that when I watched the GS3 launch, I was both disappointed and intrigued.  I was disappointed because the GS2 was a great phone, and I feel like the GS3 is more of a GS2.5.  Initially I was intrigued by some of the software innovation.  However, I don't think many of these "innovations" will actually pan out.  I am not impressed by S-voice or Siri.  To me, this technology is kind of like wireless charging.  In its current state, it just isn't useful.  Apple and now Samsung do a good job of marketing this tech, and hiding its most obvious flaw.  For the vast majority of voice recognition features to work, you have to hit a button to "prime" the device so it knows to listen.  This can be seen in the GS3 launch event video, when the presenter is demonstrating the VR feature.  To me, the main reason for VR is to interact with the device hands free.  If I have to hit a button to get it to work, whats the point?  I was very interested in the Smart Stay feature as well, but after some thought, I realized that a program such as Tasker can accomplish the same desired outcomes.  I was also disappointed that the GS3 doesn't have a media link feature comparable to the LTEvo.  However, I'm sure an app will be developed that will allow the GS3 to do this.  Of course the same can be said for the GS3 software innovations.

With all of that said, the biggest issue with the GS3 is that it is not available, and we don't know how long it will take for Sprint to pick it up.  I needed a phone, so I got the best phone available.  My personal opinion is that people that are really in the know, were a bit disappointed by the GS3 as a follow-up to the GS2.  I think it is selling in volume by riding on the coat tails of the GS2.  However, if it was available when I ordered my phone, I would have reviewed both prior to purchase.  As others have said, all phones are obsolete the moment they hit the shelf because there is a better device in development.  Therefore, it's silly for any of us to put too much stock into having the "best" device.  It is even sillier to come into a forum discussion about the HTC Evo LTE, and basically call everyone stupid for ordering it.  After all, the day you turn on your GS3 for the 1st time, someone will undoubtedly criticize you for not getting the HTC One XE, HTC One Z, Note 2, Aurora, Iphone 5, Nexus One X, Nexus Razr, Nexus II, Xperia Nexus, etc.. 

BRICE1HUET wrote:

@ doctechx.  sprints site clearly states that the evo only supports UP TO 32 gig of external memory. i hope we agree that we have to take sprints word on that. i'll give you the f diameter for the evo.  you beat the s3 by point 4.  and you also have 6 more pixels per inch for your display.  if you can notice the difference in the two...you sir are no mortal man.  my wife has the s2 and the gps works great.  regardless of any articles.  we both know there's a lot of junk out there. i'm glad you like the improvement and that you like saturated pics.  benchmark tests have shown it to be a great camera.  my problem is that it gets dull and fuzzy on zoom.  lots of phone cameras do. which is why i'm impressed that the gs3 doesn't.  and the blacks look better on the s3 than the evo.

as far as the construction goes...if you say i'm wrong. then i must be.  i'm no evo expert.  i can only try and sift through all the internet data to come up with the best truth i can.  one truth i'm seeing is that the evo doesn't have a removable battery.  that must be how you got a more "sturdy"  case.  i would take a weaker case with a removable battery over a stronger case with a non removable battery  ANY DAY!!!!   if all specs were exactly the same...or even if the evo were a little better...the non removable battery would get it cut from list of options.

so we both like what the phones we like have to offer. you like the stronger case that traps your battery.  i like the softer case that is plenty sturdy and scratch resistant and allows me to change out my battery if i need to. (without having to send it in)  or even get an expanded battery back if i choose. 

again....assuming a person wanted to get the best phone they could, and you don't have any bad experiences with a manufacturers.....why would anyone choose the evo?  kickstand?  beats audio?  the galaxy s3 is better.  the specs speak for themselves.  i hope anyone reading this decideds on the s3, you'll be glad you did.

here's a run down of specs again....they are compared side by side in this link

http://http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=4665

Journeyman

Doctechx you have been very helpful but don't waste you time debating someone about a product that is not even out.I buy what is the best for me and available at the time and could care less about the new iphone9 ,S5 or Evo 16.This is why I don't buy Apple products the fan boys are like crazed zombies no matter what you say they go on and on about there over priced tech.So why would someone come to a product forum site and bash it ?Is it because they need the attention or what.Buy what you want and be happy with it ...I am. Have a nice day.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ah, not your fault but it does suck lol and yes September would just be a joke...I just want my shiny new toy

Highlighted
Journeyman

Me too. But man somebody earlier on this Board really woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I'm going with the Evo 4G LTE simply because I had the GSI and the GSII and they both ended up sucking. So no more Galaxy's for me..... They cause too much unnecessary drama kinda like my son's ex girlfirends' family. Lol Lighten up already. This is more entertaining than Crapbook, I mean Facebook. Geez. Can't wait to play with my Shiny new toy also.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@docttech...would you by a car if the maker said you couldn't remove the battery?  or a flashlight?  just doesn't make sense to buy something like that.

you say nothing will happen....but IF it does...you're screwed. well..maybe not screwed. but you just can't deal with it as easily as you could if the battery were removeable.

case closed on that.

i'm glad you are getting a 64 gig card to work.  i can't help but wonder why sprint says it won't work.  perhaps they have done some testing and found it to be sub standard and some problems did occur.  hope you don't find out the hard way.  i'm sticking with the s3 winning on this point.

i can imagine an evo fan would find wireless charging a gimmick since the evo doesn't have it.  (funny to use the word gimmick about other phones when the evo has a kickstand) 

i go in and out of my office a lot all day long.  it'll be much easier to just quickly place my phone on the pad rather than get the cord and plug it in. everyones life is different. so some people may find it useful. some may not. point is.....the evo can't do it.  the s3 wins there again.

s voice has shown in reviews to do well.  it doesn't do all the stuff that siri does....but most people i talk to say that it's a dog and pony show.  no real use for asking the iphone silly questions just to see what it will say.

actual function with a purpose...s voice does well.  it's just another thing the evo can't do that the s3 can.

now if you needed a phone quickly...the evo is a great choice.  but if you can wait a few more weeks...then the s3 is the clear winner. sorry evo fans. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

@timmy.  i didn't come here to bash it.  i was genuinly curious as to why anyone would choose the evo over the s3.  aside from availability and htc loyalties.  if those two factors aren't in play...then i wanted to hear why someone would choose the evo.  and to me..the best place to find out why someone would chose the evo..is to ask in a thread filled with people who bought the evo.  thought that was obious.  i have to explain too much to you timmy. i'm done resonding to you.

@doctech...pleasure discussing this topic with you. i find your insight intelligent and useful.  even though we don't agree.  i really am happy for those who bought the evo and are enjoying it.  i hope you die hard evo fans can feel the same way about us s3 fans.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@BRICE1HUET  You must not read why some people's responses why people would choose the EVO over GSIII. Just look at people's responses. That's great that you're going to get the GSIII but when you come into a EVO forum and start telling everyone why the GSIII is better then EVO, that's called bashing. Anyway, have fun with your GSIII... Lol.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@webos4life....have you read "EVERY SINGLE COMMENT"???  spend your sunday doing that.  you'll learn something. i hope. 

and if you don't like your phone being "bashed" as you see it...get a phone that can't be bashed.  when you get into a debate comparing specs...it will appear as if your phone is being bashed when it isn't the best phone.

you should read some of the complaints pouring in about the evo.  i'm seeing a ton of buyers remorse.  and i take no joy in that.  hopefully some people are reading these comments and make a better decision and go with the s3.  and thank you...i will enjoy the s3.  looking forward to it.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat