cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement

Master

Re: HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement

Here was a recent announcment,

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/sprintblogs/announcements/blog/2012/05/16/htc-evo-4g-lte-u...

quoted below,

JGatSprint wrote:

While Sprint customers who pre-ordered their HTC EVO 4G LTE received their device last week, Sprint continues to wait for our full inventory from HTC.

We recently learned that HTC devices have been released by U.S. Customs. We expect shipments of HTC EVO 4G LTE to enter the U.S. in the next few days.  An exact availability date for HTC EVO 4G LTE will be communicated as soon as possible.

We’ll continue updating this post as we have new information to share.

Thank you everybody for your interest and continued patience.

To join other customers in this discussion, please visit our Community.

HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

@mrmuffinman. I really think you don't quite understand how the whole thing works. In both of those articles you posted, the ITC was allowed to ban "certain HTC devices starting April 19, 2012." Keyword, "certain", which are the ones made in 2011 and back. Only those devices that infrindged on Apple's so called patents are banned. HTC changed some software since then and niether the One X or the EVO LTE infringed. So these two devices didn't infringe and were only held by the ITC for review to make sure they didn't infringe. SO, please tell me how Sprint or HTC should have known the ITC would all of a sudden hold these devices for review when millions of other HTC devices were shipping into the U.S. betwen last August and the beginning of May? Answer: they didn't. If you don't get it, then just say you don't get it, and stop aurguing something you don't understand.

Journeyman

Seriously? I don't think you understand the issue with the patent...

They put a hold on all phones that would infringe on the patent new and old, yes.

BUT apple claimed the one x and the evo didn't meet the change order thus halting importation.

A few of the one x phones made it in before apple could appeal the itc ruling but the evo didn't.

[...]

Message was edited by: mapesy, who removed inappropriate flame comment

Journeyman

I dont understand the point you are making. Seems like you are bashing for no reason. Lame!

Journeyman

I love this stuff... I check this forum more than I do my FB page...haha

Journeyman

mrmuffinman wrote:

apple claimed the one x and the evo didn't meet the change order thus halting importation.

Funny that you complain about sources, then don't provide any.

Even if that was true, how would HTC and Sprint know ahead of time that Apple was going to do that?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/15/3022907/at-t-htc-one-x-blocked-at-us-customs-infringing-apple

Mentions nothing of Apple claiming anything specifically about the One X or Evo LTE, or that HTC or Sprint knew that Customs would hold the shipments.

Journeyman

Sprint and HTC knew the phones were NO LONGER infringing on the Apple patent, changes were made to get around this.  Somebody, could be Apple or it could be someone at customs...we'll never know, decided to halt these two devices at their arrival point in KY to review the patent ruling and make sure the devices are not infringing on the patent.  Sprint and HTC did not know that the phones would be stopped at customs until the crates landed...it is written in law that customs agents don't have to say a word and can circumvent any ruling to stop shipment of any item coming into the states.  Many folks think this was Apple prodding HTC, and it could very well be.  But regardless of anyones views the customs issue was not Sprints fault and that is a fact.  Let it alone.

Journeyman

If that's all you have to say in response to my last post then my work is done here. Have fun with your hallucinating muffins.

Journeyman

Why all this bickering going back old news get over this huddle and let's unite in good spirit the phones will be in your hands soon. Think of it on the positive side when you do get it some of the issues of a new phone will be well on the way of being solved. Example the videos stop and start until one day ago now it's streaming perfectly. As the days go on I see more improvements going on the background. You are going to love this phone.

Journeyman

I just wanted to jump in regarding whether Sprint/HTC knew about the customs delay.  These arguments were going on early after news of the delay hit, and it certainly is clear that at least HTC (and probably Sprint) was aware of the customs delay long before pre-orders started.  These articles have been linked in several threads in this forum, but I will include a few here.  Note that these articles indicated [at the time] that “It’s really hard to tell how much longer the phones will be held up at the customs, because the review has already taken a month,” said Bonnie Chang, an analyst at Yuanta Securities.  In at least one other article, a very similar quote was made by a HTC executive.  I can't find it currently, but it has been linked in another thread. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/business/global/patent-dispute-holds-up-sales-of-2-htc-phones-in-u...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-05-16/classified/sns-rt-us-htcbre84f05l-20120515_1_htc-phone...

Journeyman

Hey, thanks for the links Doctechx. To me it looks as though they might have know about a review of the phones beginning in April but they probably didn't know of any hold yet. The reason I know there was no hold before May 6th, is because the One X actually launched on AT&T on that day with no delay. Then only afterward did the ITC decide to "hold" the devices for further "review".

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually, the articles address why the One X was able to launch prior to the ban; those phones were imported prior to the April 19 effective date.  Also, the articles indicate that "the review has already taken a month."  To me, that's saying the phones were in Customs possession under review.  No doubt this was an exceedingly abnormal situation, and both HTC and Sprint probably expected that the phones would be released in plenty of time to hit the original 5/18 launch date.  However, I think the articles make it clear that at least HTC was aware that Customs was already engaged in a extended review of the devices prior to initiation of pre-order sales.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat