cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement

I know Sprint is saying this change was made in the interest of customer service, and I do believe it is the right thing to do.  However, the fact that they may be taking the time to sift through these pallets manually makes me think the delay could be longer than expected.  I need to try not to read into these things so much.

dshoem01 wrote:

alk1122,

I believe they are actually manually 'sifting' through to find the ones that are being cancelled, probably keeping a written log of who's cancelled, etc...  This isn't an automated process, which I imagine is why it wasn't originally an option. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Doctechx:

"However, the fact that they may be taking the time to sift through these pallets manually makes me think the delay could be longer than expected.  I need to try not to read into these things so much."

You probably should not read into it so much...

Its one thing to be frustrated with a company, its another to dig yourself into a mental ditch for more reasons to hate them. I want a definitive answer of when the phone is coming too! But, if 5/23 is preliminary, I have no choice but to make due with that until otherwise noted.  People wanted cancellations and there's people now, tediously, sifting through orders to grab them before shipping.  Atleast, they're finally doing what a lot of people have been complaining about them not.

If anyone wants to leave sprint over this, please, just do it and move on lol. Otherwise, we are all in the same boat and have to deal. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here's an update for the preorder folks:

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/business/company-focus/2012/05/19/341548/HTC-confirms.htm

This should be hopeful for most, as it claims that the August mediation meeting between HTC and Apple has no bearing on the devices being held up at customs.  If this article is to be believed then everyone is just waiting for customs to review the phones for patent infringement that HTC says has been resolved...but keep in mind you're waiting on the federal government...so yeah...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Many other retailers charge ONLY WHEN pre-ordered product is shipped (e.g Amazon).  That would have helped part of the problem that Sprint customers are experiencing.

Now timely communications is another thing -- when a company IN the communications business seems to get communications wrong with its customers that is ironic (at best).

It would be useful to get a more definitive explanation of the problems causing the delay.  The information I have been able to glean (though NOT from official HTC nor Sprint sources) is that the problem lies with Apple's claim on a single patent (that tapping on an address, telephone number etc. in the web or email and being presented with a choice of what you want to do what tap: dial a number, text message to the number; send address to telenav or Google Navigation ; et al.   The "changes" made in the phones software to eliminate the "choice" was made sometime ago and the "verification" process was supposedly begun over thirty days ago. 

Where did  the "pallet by pallet" open and search information come from?

Silver lining:  perhaps Sprint could focus on what they DO directly control focus efforts on speeding up the LTE network deployment.

Related news -- sure hope that the reported court order by Judge Sherry R. Fallon (Delaware district judge) for Apple and HTC to mean AUGUST 28th to settle claims is not the earliest that the problem could be resolved. (Here is a reference to one of the motions in the case brought by Apple on June 21, 2010  (yes almost two years ago), and the response to an HTC request for a change of venue (denied by the judge on January 18, 2011 (yes a year and a half ago) http://www.ded.uscourts.gov/content/apple-inc-v-high-tech-computer-corp-aka-htc-corp-et-al

Highlighted
Journeyman

EVOLuva27 wrote:

If anyone wants to leave sprint over this, please, just do it and move on lol. Otherwise, we are all in the same boat and have to deal. 

dshoem01 is suppose to be checking into if the upgrade gets reset when you cancel your order.  Just cause you cancel your order doesnt mean you can just leave if you want to.  Unless your out of contract you still have the ETF.  And if Sprint doesnt reset your upgrade, then if you try to leave their system will recognize that you have a $350 ETF.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The pallet by pallet open and search information is known because it is a UPS operation.  The warehouse in Kentucky that is being forced to hold these phones is not a Sprint warehouse, it's outsourced to UPS.  They use a "Pack and Pick" method, which basically means they have pallets of phones with shipping labels already on them ready to go.  Sprint doesn't actually lay hands on the phones at all.  So yes, every time somebody cancels there order now some unlucky dude/dudette has to dig through a pallet of phones and remove that phone.

In regards to the court ordered mediation between Apple and HTC I literally just posted an article above your post that states that the mediation has no bearing on the devices being held up at customs.  It makes sense, as HTC has responded by claiming they are in compliance with the patent issue, and the fact that there are lawsuits pending from HTC, Apple, and Samsung.  I believe the judge is attempting to get all parties to quit acting like babies.  In other words the mediation is related to the war, not this battle.  But poor preorder folks still have to wait on customs, and this is the federal gov't we're talking about...so who knows how long it will take...

On a side note I did not preorder, and I sure hope that this phone is released in the next week or two and all these cancelled orders are sent to the stores as inventory.  Then I can simply walk in a grab one without waiting, all the while taking advantage of the impatient.

Highlighted
Journeyman

dwilliams8880 wrote:

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/business/company-focus/2012/05/19/341548/HTC-confirms.htm

This should be hopeful for most, as it claims that the August mediation meeting between HTC and Apple has no bearing on the devices being held up at customs.  If this article is to be believed then everyone is just waiting for customs to review the phones for patent infringement that HTC says has been resolved...but keep in mind you're waiting on the federal government...so yeah...

What about the phones that are still on their way?  Meaning if they release the phones from customs than all the people who pre-ordered will get their phones.  What about the phones that they planned to sell from now until Aug 28th.  Will they still be allowed to sell phones until the Aug 28th court date?  And if they can, then why are the phones not in peoples hands?

Highlighted
Master

alk1122 wrote:

dwilliams8880 wrote:

What about the phones that are still on their way?  Meaning if they release the phones from customs than all the people who pre-ordered will get their phones.  What about the phones that they planned to sell from now until Aug 28th.  Will they still be allowed to sell phones until the Aug 28th court date?  And if they can, then why are the phones not in peoples hands?

The August 28th date is just for Apple and HTC to sit down with a mediating judge to end the frivolous lawsuits back and forth. The courts seem to be getting tired of the lawsuits and are forcing them to sit down and talk it over instead of just suing each other.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Glad you posted this...I need to add something to this to give a clearer picture...

dwilliams8880 wrote:

The pallet by pallet open and search information is known because it is a UPS operation.  The warehouse in Kentucky that is being forced to hold these phones is not a Sprint warehouse, it's outsourced to UPS.  They use a "Pack and Pick" method, which basically means they have pallets of phones with shipping labels already on them ready to go.  Sprint doesn't actually lay hands on the phones at all.  So yes, every time somebody cancels there order now some unlucky dude/dudette has to dig through a pallet of phones and remove that phone.

In regards to the court ordered mediation between Apple and HTC I literally just posted an article above your post that states that the mediation has no bearing on the devices being held up at customs.  It makes sense, as HTC has responded by claiming they are in compliance with the patent issue, and the fact that there are lawsuits pending from HTC, Apple, and Samsung.  I believe the judge is attempting to get all parties to quit acting like babies.  In other words the mediation is related to the war, not this battle.  But poor preorder folks still have to wait on customs, and this is the federal gov't we're talking about...so who knows how long it will take...

On a side note I did not preorder, and I sure hope that this phone is released in the next week or two and all these cancelled orders are sent to the stores as inventory.  Then I can simply walk in a grab one without waiting, all the while taking advantage of the impatient.

I've been following @InsideSprintNow on my Twitter and he is posting as things occur, before he posts to his blog. The latest and greatest he posted after the 2 PM conference call:

@InsideSprintNow wrote:

Hearing mixed reports as of 5 min ago on customs status EVOLTE. Early reports that today's promised insp hasn't happened yet.

...with all that said.. the fact that one was scheduled/promised is great news after 3 weeks.. hang tight.. weekend pipeline is out in 2hrs

So in summary...the Customs Inspection you speak of that was supposed to occur today, did not happen. However, he is thinking that the weekend inspection schedule will show something.

Short and sweet version: EVO 4G LTE still stuck in Customs and no schedule to move yet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

"So in summary...the Customs Inspection you speak of that was supposed to occur today, did not happen. However, he is thinking that the weekend inspection schedule will show something"

If Customs is part of the gov't then I wouldnt expect any inspection to occur over the weekend.  Us gov't employees do not work on the weekend.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Government employees work 365 days a year

Highlighted
Journeyman

The heck they do.  Maybe technically the military "works" 365.  But not gov't employees.  We are on salary for 40 hrs a week.  Most of us work Mon-Fri 8 hrs a day.  If we are not at work we must be taking leave or sick time.  We also get 10 federal holidays a year.  One is on Monday the 28th infact

http://www.opm.gov/operating_status_schedules/fedhol/2012.asp

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat