cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO™ 4G LTE - Sprint Announcement

I still just don't get it at all lol! If it's a sofware patent violation why would the devices be held up in customs, why wouldn't this all be dealt with after we recieve our phones with an ota update. The devices themselves break no patents, it's the software. I feel this issue proves the shady practices of Apple, trying to thwart competition. The phone should be released with an agreement that any patent violations in the Android os will be rectified or removed as soon as possible or by a certain date. Even if HTC decided to fight the patent violation they could at least remove the issue for the time being while the court procedures continue thus allowing us to recieve our hardware. Seems to me like Apple waited to jump on this at the worst time, after pre-order and right when shipment was occurring to screw over as many competitors and customers as possible in the hopes that we would all blame Sprint / AT&T / Verizon / HTC and quickly order an Iphone instead. I'm not going to be a doosh and blame Sprint, HTC might have seen this coming but really it's all just Apple to blame. I'm not even going to get into the fact that Apple patents things that aren't even thier own creation...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not likely until:

1. HTC & the Taiwanese gov't convinces the ITC panel (acting on Apple's behalf) that they aren't infringing any longer.
  2. ITC (who definitely doesn't work on weekends) certifies (probably by signing some official piece of paper) that the HTC phones don't infringe, then instructs the US CBP (probably through some official piece of paper) that they can release the held shipment.
  3. The shipper (HTC) and the receiver (Sprint) will most likely be notified that the goods can pass through customs, and we'll likely get an official announcement from Sprint at that point (or see it in the news), but without any timing estimate yet.  That's because Sprint might get an invoice for payment of storage charges due because of the delay and if so, it's entirely possible that CBP won't release the goods until the invoice is paid.
  4. Sprint will cut a check and overnight it, or wire funds that day, in the hopes that as soon as CBP gets payment, the goods can move into Sprint's hands.
  5. From there, Sprint will finally have some timing certainty about when the phones will be shipped out to us, and will likely make an official announcement about it.
  6. Once the phones arrive at Sprint's distribution hub, the bulk packs will be broken down, phones stocked in bins, then picked and packed hopefully the same day they arrive, and our pre-orders will finally be fulfilled, at which point we'll get a shipment notification.
  7. Another 5-7 business days later, we will finally have the phones in our hands.
  8. Activate and enjoy!
Highlighted
Journeyman

Based on information we have received already, #6 should not be required.  The phones are already packed for direct shipment to customers.  Sprint outsources the distribution, and the phones are sitting in a UPS warehouse awaiting direct shipment.

Admanb1nyc wrote:

Not likely until:

1. HTC & the Taiwanese gov't convinces the ITC panel (acting on Apple's behalf) that they aren't infringing any longer.
  2. ITC (who definitely doesn't work on weekends) certifies (probably by signing some official piece of paper) that the HTC phones don't infringe, then instructs the US CBP (probably through some official piece of paper) that they can release the held shipment.
  3. The shipper (HTC) and the receiver (Sprint) will most likely be notified that the goods can pass through customs, and we'll likely get an official announcement from Sprint at that point (or see it in the news), but without any timing estimate yet.  That's because Sprint might get an invoice for payment of storage charges due because of the delay and if so, it's entirely possible that CBP won't release the goods until the invoice is paid.
  4. Sprint will cut a check and overnight it, or wire funds that day, in the hopes that as soon as CBP gets payment, the goods can move into Sprint's hands.
  5. From there, Sprint will finally have some timing certainty about when the phones will be shipped out to us, and will likely make an official announcement about it.
  6. Once the phones arrive at Sprint's distribution hub, the bulk packs will be broken down, phones stocked in bins, then picked and packed hopefully the same day they arrive, and our pre-orders will finally be fulfilled, at which point we'll get a shipment notification.
  7. Another 5-7 business days later, we will finally have the phones in our hands.
  8. Activate and enjoy!
Highlighted
Journeyman

cer03 wrote:

Have been reading a bit into this post and a few online articles about the phone. While I am a bit unhappy as the rest of those that have pre-ordered this phone, or for those that are looking forward to the HTC EVO either from Sprint or AT&T, I cannot put the blame on the carriers for this delay. While the communication could have been a bit better, as I got the updates on this from news articles on the web and not from Sprint. Some people said that they would like to be compensated for this delay, even though it was not Sprint's fault. I think that rather than giving everyone a free activation or some sort of compensation, I would like to see Sprint and AT&T drop Apple. Both companies have spent a lot of money in advertising this new phone, training and what not all to have it thrown back into their faces because Apple does not want any competition, or what ever thier issue is. This whole deal is upsetting to the consumers who want the phone and are awaiting it, and it also is putting pressure on the carries as I am sure that they are getting a lot of greif from all over about this whole deal. Sprint and AT&T should take this whole issue, wrap it up and shove it into Apple's pie hole and tell them to smoke it.

THERE YOU GO! TOTALLY AGREE.

Yes, the iphone brings in money, but I would not tolerate Apple interfering with my company's ability to profit off of other phones, just so the iphone can be the only big dog in town.  Sprint actually had it sweet with both the Iphone and Evo, but If I ran sprint, I would not tolerate Apple ruining my ability to market and sell other options to my customers and putting my relationship with my consumers in the position it is in now, as far as, public relations and the cancellations of orders and people wanting discounts for the inconvenience and wait. Sprint may be losing money, or in the end the controversy may bring more attention to the EVO, but APPLE put you in this position sprint!!!

Apple is a big boy, they can create their own service and fee people to death if they really want to. But they would rather eat service providers alive from the inside out, until they're the only option.

Highlighted
Journeyman

seriously your complaining on how long youve been a customer and the date they have. Cry more.

Highlighted
Journeyman

As far as I'm concerned Apple are bunch dirty nasty scumbags! Threatened by a superior device and will stop at nothing to ruin their competitors. Sprint and HTC need to get their lawyers on this and get this bullshit bypassed. This is clearly low down dirty business tactics. Now you see how insecure Apple feels about their piece of the electronics market. This is outrageous. The fact that Sprint is saying indefinite as a time frame is also unacceptable. I can't even believe this is happening!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint has just announced a huge Apple promotion in order to attract disgruntled Verizon customers. I cannot hold them against this as a corporate decision, however, it leaves a really nasty taste in my mouth to know that Sprint is offering $100 for any old iPhone whether it works or not. Meanwhile, us old timers paid a minimum of $50 more for our preorders than those that pre ordered anywhere else. There is also a new review from CNET stating the phone is less than spectacular without 4G. If my EVOLTE does not arrive with substantial incentives(note PLURAL), I will return it and save significant money by not signing a new 2 year agreement with higher rates. If/when Sprint rolls out their LTE network I will consider what phones are available at that time. At this juncture, I cannot believe what the Sprint corporate minions say. Business 101 tells you that people buy things because of emotions. It seems the Suits in the Board Room at Sprint have forgotten this.

Highlighted
Wizard

I believe Apple is doing this to make a point. A warning so to speak. If there is a copy infringment and we catch it, we will do damage when it hurts the most, like in having Sprint's flagship device held in customs.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint doesn't care. They are selling the bejeezus out of iPhones/contracts right now. We are old news to the suits.

Highlighted
Journeyman

They have you as posting since April 2008...not a customer since then.  I just can't understand why people in this country are so quick to post when something doesn't go their way.  Things happen, timelines are sometimes not met, companies drop the ball.  I do not work for Sprint nor have I ever, but I am a long time loyal customer who has been treated as such.  Sprint dropped the ball, they were probably just as blind sided as everyone outside the company.  I am quite sure there was no malice intended.  No forethought of we want your money and who cares about our customer's feelings.  They knowingly did not have all of us preorder the new HTC EVO LTE with facts that this unit will be involved in a patent pending court case that may or may not delay the shipment.  It is absurd to think otherwise.  Sprint has been around for going on two decades now.  I am fairly certain they haven't been around this long because of shady business dealings as a lot of this forum is suspecting in this case.  Sprint has absolutely nothing to do with our phones being unavailable.  Think about it for just a moment people and you would realize Sprint is hurting just as bad as we are during this unique circumstance.  Think about how many of these units from new customers, upgrade customers and even those people who out right are paying full price for this unit, has caused Sprint money.  I know it is not our problem this is causing lost business for our Phone provider, but we should be backing our provider during times like these not bashing them for not sending emails the very second they found out.  Most of us found out through the grapevine anyway so what is the big deal???  We already knew this was happening.  No matter how many complaints we send, not matter how many post, no matter what we think... this is happening.  It is a phone we are talking about here not our last chance to eat. 

With that said, yes it is true Sprint should have responded in a timely matter...which didn't happen.  Some feel like their provider has let them down, and they did somewhat.  This entire debacle could have and should have been handled with a more speedy response.  Sprint still could not have controlled what is going on as much as the man in the moon could have.  Yes, they may owe their customers an apology for their seemingly lack of care.  It was not handled at all the way we customers think it should have been.  Sprint does not owe us anything but an apology for the way things have been handled.  Sprint has a LOT at stake here.  We have nothing at stake except our new phone not in our hands.  If you want to be upset with somebody, get upset with Apple.  After all they are the company who thinks anything that has anything to do with a mobile phone is their proprietary property.  Apple didn't invent the mobile phone they just revolutionized it several years ago. 

How many of us have gone onto Apple's website and pounded them with all of these thoughts and opinions?  Probably not many.   This has happened in many other countries prior to this week and will continue to take place in the future.  We Americans have been fairly lucky up to this point.  If you really are hurting as bad as you act then do something about it.  Post your comments on the Apple site.  Bombard their system with how you are feeling.  Let them know the American people will not accept what they are putting down.  This should not be just negative publicity for Sprint or At&t, but Apple should take the same heat we are giving to the respective companies.   

By the way Sprint has said they will allow refunds for those people wanting one...without any problems.  They are trying to correct their missteps taken in this matter so give thme some slack people.  Maybe they will offer a rebate, or free otter case, or screen protector...who knows???but they don't owe it to us so quit thinking otherwise.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well said...we should all be upset wiyt apple. I will NEVER purchace another applre product and will go out of my way to convince others to do the same.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why do people keep complaining about paying $50 more for the preorder from sprint? Please I really would like an answer in the face that the Sprint Pre-Orders will arive before the Retailers Pre-Orders arrive. Also, the Retailer DOES eat that $50, usually it is a gift card which makes you go back to the store and give them that same $50 they gave you and usually you pick up something more than $50 worth...that is a retailer trick to get you back in the store (Customer Loyalty). Also, you could have gotten it from a retailer...then why didn't you?

Still anxiously waiting for my new EVO 4g LTE

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat