cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 4G LTE display is shot....

Journeyman

HTC EVO 4G LTE display is shot....

I normally am not one to post in forums because I believe problems can be solved in-person a lot better, but I seem to have a unique issue happening with my phone. About one and a half weeks ago my display began to act funny. First, my email started fuzzing out. It sort of reminded me of the static you receive when you are looking at a TV channel on a TV with a physical antenna. I thought it was a glitch that just happened as I have had some with this phone before.But it began to show in all apps and even on the home screen. Then, finally, about two days ago the screen was completely fuzzed out. Again, like the static that comes in when a TV channel is completely unable to receive reception. It would occasionally do this after charging, then return to normal after some time off of the charger. Upon taking it to the Sprint store in Lenox Mall, Atlanta, GA yesterday (repair center is there) they performed a factory reset (because they thought it was software related) and it returned with a vengeance. Now it is completely useless as the screen is unable to respond due to the "static display" and I cannot interact with the touchscreen. I am also unable to see the screen, but I can receive calls, alerts, notifications, etc and I can even adjust volume. It seems to be a display issue. The Sprint repair representative stated he would order a new replacement phone and it would be in by Monday or Tuesday, but I am basically without a fully functioning phone until then. The Sprint repair representative never saw this problem before and could not identify the issue, although I was told that they have equipment that could test to see what the problem could be. A couple of questions I have:

1) Has anyone else ever encountered this display problem?

2) Has anyone trained the Sprint repair representatives to triage a phone (besides resetting my phone)? If they have equipment that could diagnose screen issues they sure did not use it.

3) Can Sprint offer replacement phones directly in the store, so that I do not have to wait for a replacement in a case like mine? My phone is 85% useless without the display (I literally have to answer and end calls with a headset due to the inability to interact with the touchscreen) and I have to wait until Monday or Tuesday to get a replacement and they will call me (on my phone that has no display, mind you) when it comes in.

Thanks,

Attached is a picture of the phone with the "static display".

39 REPLIES 39

Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE display is shot....

BLESSED1BE,

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry to see the issues you're having with the display. This is not something I've come across when going through the device issues we see on here and other social forums. When it comes to screen issues, repair technicians may be able to diagnose in certain cases, dependant on the issue. Generally they will look for a physical defect that may cause this after making certain the software is not the issue. Any replacement phone has to be ordered and is not readily available in the store. The replacement phones would come from our warehouse.

Did this issue start after any phone update, app download or any physical problem (drop, etc.) of the phone?

I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience!

Dan

Sprint Social Care Team

Master

If you have TEP and they can't fix it in the store. If you goto the store they will order you one and call when it comes in. Usually in a day or two.

Last I've heard, they don't have in store parts or training yet. Possible that's changed, but I haven't heard in the contrary.

Also, first I've heard of that issue. Definitely sounds like a display issue.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
GrandMaster

ditto...and im all OVER these forums lol..

smotrs wrote:

If you have TEP and they can't fix it in the store. If you goto the store they will order you one and call when it comes in. Usually in a day or two.

Last I've heard, they don't have in store parts or training yet. Possible that's changed, but I haven't heard in the contrary.

Also, first I've heard of that issue. Definitely sounds like a display issue.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I have the EVO 4G LTE as well, just this evening I went to make a call and my phone had the same issue. However, with mine there were no warning signs the phone was working fine, it just came on with static display just like the photo attached to your post. I called Sprint, as it was too late to go to the Store and they advised they had never heard of this. The rep I spoke to suggested that I take to the Sprint Store, because I was unable to access the touchscreen to power down the device completely for them to run a test on it. I am taking to the Sprint Store here in Des Moines, IA and hopefully they are able to assist me without me having to wait for replacement. If they are able to fix the issue, I will repost what took place. As far as recent updates, I checked for a software update approx 3-4 days ago, but received notice my software is up to date; therefore, no update was completed.

GrandMaster

i have now heard of this issue 4 times..2 of which was resolved by power cycling the phone...in yalls case doing a sim pull...which you will not need the screen to do..not saying this will fix your issue..but if it hasnt been attempted then its worth a shot

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for your repsonse SprintIronman,

Just as Lunac74 mentioned, there were no updates or apps downloaded before this issue began. I have also never dropped or damaged my phone, as I am pretty careful with it (if you can tell by the picture). I have a Sprint store-bought Body Glove case and Beats by Dre headphones, but no other accessories. The last major update was a software release a couple of weeks ago. The screen still intermittenly comes back at times, but it is dead most of the time for right now. I hope they call soon today, as I need a functioning phone for personal and work purposes.

Looks like this has happened before to someone in the past after dropping it, although I never damaged mine. It seems like the screen has become disconnected from the motherboard. I hope this doesn't become a common problem for the EVO LTE. Please see the link below:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/214380-screen-static-screen-unresponsive.html

Thanks,

Journeyman

fireguy_6364 wrote:

i have now heard of this issue 4 times..2 of which was resolved by power cycling the phone...in yalls case doing a sim pull...which you will not need the screen to do..not saying this will fix your issue..but if it hasnt been attempted then its worth a shot

Sorry, fireguy_6364, did this about 5 times just today and no dice. Not to mention the other 50 times that I've reset (simulated battery pull, power down - when screen is functional) over the last week. It seems to be a hardware issue, as I have tried most of the common software solutions.

Thanks,

GrandMaster

that pretty much puts me out to pasture...i have no other ideas other than a replacement..im not sure if they are able to do in store repairs on such parts as of yet...or if they ever will be..what theyre able to repair has been dwindling quite a bit over the years now

Master

How about a long press of the Power Button? Anything when you do that? Press and hold for about 30 secons. You should see the capacitive buttons start flashing. When they stop flashing, wait about 5+ seconds then release the button.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Did that, as I said. Even went through a full factory reset at the store. Still no luck. Now I am just waiting. Waiting for the replacement.

It seems like Lean Six Sigma service-orientation is not taken into account for this aspect of Sprint's business processes. Just-in-time inventory of replacement (refurbished) phones at certain repair centers would be fantastic, so that customers like myself will not have to wait almost a full week to replace a phone (fully broke or semi-functional). Especially with phones that have high rates of incidents. It would save on time with both ends.... the customer and the company. I am sure there can be a way to keep track of information about phones that were relinquished to in-store customers through TEP. Heck, just hire a rep for Asurion (or whoever does the TEP nowadays) to work in-store and utilize the Asurion processes for ordering a replacement (but just in-person). It would satisfy more customers immediately that experience issues with their phones and can potentially raise the bar for customer service excellence with Sprint. Just thinking outside the box here....

Thanks,

Master

My GF had to do this with Asurion a while back. What a nightmare. It used to be easy, now they make you jump through hoops.

--

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat