cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 4G LTE needs lower LTE antenna threshold!

Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE needs lower LTE antenna threshold!

halcyoncmdr123 wrote:

As for an LTE preferred option, that is already the way it is. If there is a strong enough 4G LTE signal for the phone to use it will prefer that automatically if you have LTE enabled. Only if that signal is being lost or non-existent will it drop back to 3G CDMA. Setting it to CDMA only turns off LTE entirely on the phone so it won't do anything realated to LTE. There is no option for LTE only because then you would be unable to use the phone, as a phone or text either.

Pefect.  Somewhere on here I read that LTE selection is based entirely on 1x signal strength and that it why 3G towers were often selected even when LTE was available.  I'm glad that's not the case.  If the 4G signal is usable it should be selected.

Thanks for the clearification.

Journeyman

I was looking at the RSSI and RSRP values as well as the tower CID/lac/type using g-mon software.  I expect the tech rep I have been working with will be able to confirm this tomorrow.  Was showing -115db (which I understand is sort of equiv to -95db or so on g3)

So, I have to still have to politely disagree with halcyoncmdr123.  I will post a detailed log file tomorrow.

Journeyman

Forgot to note, all of my results are from outside with line of site to a tower I was told by sprint representative was complete and accepted.

Master

Correct, the LTE DB values are approximately 20 higher then what people are used to. Check out hte following article, really good read.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-308-rssi-vs-rsrp-a-brief-lte-signal-strength-primer/

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Master

If you perform another hard reset, try to refrain from installing any apps for a day or so if possible. See if it continues to work.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Looks like factory reset did improve things on my HTC Evo 4G LTE phone.  Have to toggle airplane mode to get a signal though standing 10-15 feet from an LTE tower.

Latitude 33.87186432, longitude -84.25038910

Serving cell 03A13E03, PLMN ID 310120

RSRP -85dBm, RSRQ -10dBm

Strangely, the TX Pwr jumped around between 0dBm, -10dBm and -3276dBm.....

Upload speed about 13k, download about 10k.

Phone still would not switch to LTE on it's own.  Signal loss at -135dBm about 1 mile from tower.

Master

Have you taken the phone into the Sprint Repair Center yet? Customer Service can only do so much over the phone, if that don't work, you may need to have a technician look at it. Sounds like this could be the case for you.

--

Journeyman

Indeed, I took it to the repair center, they checked it out and said they could find no problem, but poor LTE at the store.  Have yet to get anyone at sprint to say there is anything wrong, just one check after another......

Of course, they are getting my services as a field tech for free, checking all the towers in Atlanta.

Master

You may just have to either wait for LTE to have a stronger signal in your area or wait to see if the next update addresses the LTE signal strength threshold.

My guess is the former will happen before the later simply because there aren't enough case studies yet showing that the LTE threshold needs to be bumped the way the 3G and Voice threshold was on earlier updates. Doesn't mean it can't use some tweaking's, just means there hasn't been enough rumbling regarding it because there aren't enough markets and users yet.

--

Journeyman

Journeyman

At least you have some service check this here in Vegas:2012-09-26 11.38.26.png 

Master

Ouch.

--

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat