cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 4G LTE signal problems - share your speedtest results (and comparative speedtests)

Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE signal problems - share your speedtest results (and comparative speedtests)

I don't care if it was 3G or 4G, and would have been happy with 3G speeds, but never saw that and barely could keep signal at all. Went without internet for 9 hrs one day on that EVO LTE. I paid for a top of the line phone with Sprint and was getting dialup speeds (actually, have been for all my years with Sprint) and constant problems. Bottomline is that I told Sprint "I want a great phone that is reliable and works well." They couldn't deliver. Verizon did.

Last Saturday I took the LTEs into the service center on Sprint's campus at their national headquarters in Kansas City. They ran tests, confirmed it was performing poorly and may have hardware issues, said there's no capability to test the RF antenna on those yet, said that it would revert to 3G automatically when not in 4G areas, and that there are just areas that do not get good signal. (Well, I didn't have this amount of signal issues on my old phone in the same places.) Then they gave me a new EVO LTE which had all the same problems. So anyway, there's no need to run speedtest again - speedtest ran the tests based on the signal the phone was receiving. Based on the huge amount of feedback and test results I've read about the EVO LTE, I'm sure there's a hardware issue with the signal receiver, which reduces whatever Sprint signal is available. I'm also sure they just can't compete with what Verizon offers in my neighborhood.

Best of luck to all of you who are dealing with issues on the EVO LTE. If you still have time to return it, I'd vote for that. Time for me to get back to productivity.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE signal problems - share your speedtest results (and comparative speedtests)

Yes, I updated PRLs and every other system update immediately after purchase. Advanced tech support at service center examined logs and said the phone was not performing well. I have lots of screenshots from EVO LTE showing under 100k. And lots of work to catch up on after wasting days on finding a replacement for the EVO LTE. Hope it works out well for others. But if it's not working, take it back before the return window closes!

Master

First off, all runs were taken at either my house or my office. House is a two story with lots of insulation up against a mountain. Office is a two story industrial concrete building with lots of concrete internal walls, my office is in the middle of all that.

Runs 1 & 2 were at my house when I first did it. Runs 3 & 4 were sitting at my desk in my office. Runs 5 & 6 were with my home WiFi turned on. Decided to run it again when I saw this thread again so 7 & 8 were just now sitting at my desk in my office.

7543853094_33fd89b6f7.jpg

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

I can imagine you have plenty of work to catch up on after taking so many screen shots.  I apologize asking for one more so people could make an "unbiased" comparison of different providers 3G networks, I understand that everyone's time is valuable.

Journeyman

I compared my friend's Evo 4G LTE next to my og Evo in the same room on the same network, and test, after test, after test, results were similarly bad.  I think what we are seeing is a reflection of the network, not the phone.  And don't forget that Sprint is doing a lot of work on the network right now, so saying "my old Evo got better reception" does not hold because of all of the network upgrades going on. When you are having a particularly bad day with speeds, call Sprint and I bet they'll tell you there is tower work in your area that day.

Did you see the latest consumer reports?  They said that Sprint is the cheapest and has the happiest customers and that Verizon has the fastest network.  Supposedly, in 2014 when Sprint's new network is complete, it will blow Verizon out of the water.  Doesn't help us right now though!

Journeyman

So what Verizon plan are you using that is the same print as Sprints? I could not get a striped verizon plan within $25 of my sprints Family plan.

Journeyman

I agree that sprints data is nothing compared to Verizon or AT&T. But I knew when I switched a couple if years ago after having to pay an extra $300 on one of my monthly bills do to overages. I got tired of having to continually watching how I was call, texting and what I was using in data. I am hoping that Sprint does live up to it hype about the LTE service. I should know in about a year when LTE is suppose to be in my area. The sprint rep did mention that we are suppose to be able to roam on Verizons LTE when it come active at the end of the Summer. Not sure that is true or not. Do not see how verizon would let a competitor use their system.

Master

I don't think the Sprint Rep had that right. I believe what they may have been referring to is something along the lines of the following,

http://androidcommunity.com/verizon-may-enable-global-roaming-on-lte-phones-soon-20120518/

Also keep in mind, the LTE network Verizon uses (700MHz) is different then the one that Sprint uses (1900MHz). So physically, we shouldn't be able to use their network with our phones.

Then factor in the following article,

http://gigaom.com/mobile/how-verizon-might-kill-any-hope-for-lte-interoperability/

And there's little chance of it ever happening. However, I would love to be proven wrong.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Thanks for the information. I was pretty sure they did not have it right. Glad that was not a factor in my decsion to buy and LTE phone. I wonder who sprint is planning on contracting for their roaming?

Journeyman

I'm one of the very lucky few that has had 4g LTE for over a month now.  It started off and on all the time, on mostly at night and week-ends and for the last couple weeks has been on most of the time.  At first it was about 11mb down and some days was 34mb down!!!!  But now it's tapered off to about 5mb down all the time.   My 3g is good at about 1.8mb down to over 2mb down but only 700 up.  When I travel it is very frustrating because I'm spoiled at home with these speeds and only get 100kps like alot of you guys, have a horrible time sending text pictures, etc.  So I am totally sympathetic, it's horrible.   Hopefully they get these speeds turned on for everyone soon, it will sure make traveling less hell. Screenshot_2012-07-10-18-58-16.pngScreenshot_2012-07-10-21-32-47.pngScreenshot_2012-07-11-03-18-06.pngScreenshot_2012-07-11-02-55-36.pngScreenshot_2012-07-11-03-18-39.png

Master

Holy Hell Batman, those are awesome speeds.

--

Journeyman

See my post here for a lot of speed test data: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/452919#452919

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat