cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO LTE Screen problem!

31 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO LTE Screen problem!

Gave it a shot but nothing seems to happen, thanks anyway. I hope they roll out a fix soon.

I'm getting real tired of the problems with this phone. Just got a random dead pixel, had to run a pixel fixer then restart the phone, seems to have fixed that problem for now. Also, I stupidly didn't look into the LTE network before buying the phone, so it seems I'm stuck with a 3G phone until they get around to putting up the network in my area. By that time, I'll be eligible for an upgrade/near the end of my contract and switch to a provider with 4G and at very least better 3G speeds. Paying premium prices for a slow 3G phone and I can't even get premium speeds...what a scam.

Master

Try placing your finger over the Proximity sensor to block all ambient light then remove your finger, see if the screen lights up. Usually does the trick. Not a permanent fix but better then pressing the power button.

Hopefully the next update will correct the issue for those having it.

Journeyman

Before the Jellybean update I didn't experience any problems with my proximity sensor and I've had a screen protector on since day one. My brother and I both have the LTEVO yet I am the only one encountering this problem.

I recalled a problem with my previous phone-- HTC EVO 4G-- where the screen wasn't completely adhered on the bottom next to the search button (note, I was a clumsy smartphone user so I went through a total of 3 EVO 4G's, and they ALL had this problem with the screen not being completely adhered in the same area), so I started to wonder if this might play a role in the proximity sensor issue on my current LTEVO, different phone, but same manufacturer so I just went from there.

In regular lighting when I place a phone call the screen IMMEDIATELY goes blank, without any interaction with the sensor.

In extreme lighting, like outside in bright, bright light, or below a bright lamp, the screen stays on and interactions with it cause it to react as it should-- screen goes blank when the sensor is covered, returns when unconvered. 

In regular lighting, if I place a call, the screen blacks out, BUT, if I press rather hard on the upper left section of the phone, near the sensor, the screen comes back on, and further interactions with it cause it to react as it should, and as it does in bright lighting conditions.

Journeyman

I also am having the proximity sensor issue with my screen remaining black after removing it from my ear.  The phone becomes useless because I cannot do any task that requires keypad entry (ie. credit card entry, my work voicemail, etc).  I cannot even hang up a call - the other person has to do this first.  And the comments that this is due to "cheap screen protectors" are completely idiotic.  I have NO screen protector on my phone.  I have NO case on my phone.  I had ZERO issues with the proximity sensor before JB.  EVERY call since the update - incoming or outgoing - has had this problem.  It IS a software issue.

I am about ready to give up on this and every other HTC phone, but the comment above about HTC working on a fix gives me some hope and I'll hold on a few more days.  Halcyoncmdr123 - what is the source of your statement that a fix is in the works?  HTC?  Sprint?  Other?

Master

NP, didn't take it as rude. 

Hopefully the update comes soon and it will address the issue for everyone without breaking something else.

Journeyman

I didn't mean to sound rude. Just trying to point out that my problem started with the new update and I never had the problem before. The new screen protectors have the cut outs. And I have only been using the Zagg since November.

Master

Actually, if you want to get technical. When the phone first came out it DID have a problem with the Zagg protectors because there was no cutout for the proximity sensor. It's just more pronounced now after the update because they made it more sensitive.

Take a look back, there's allot of posts about the screen protectors and phone cases causing issues with the proximity sensor from day one. Long before the JB update was available.

Journeyman

Jay, This has nothing to do with Zagg screen proctector I have. It is an update issue. Started the day I installed the update..

Journeyman

Lol this phone has always had this problem with cheap screen protectors either cut the protector under the sensor or get a zagg issue solved. I had the same issue with ics on the phone and my wife to we both got zagg invisible sheild ( which has a cut out for the sensor ) issue gone. But this issue has nothing to do with Jellybean and everything to do with not covering the sensor with cheap screen protectors. Stop blaming Jellybean get a zagg don't be cheap and your phone will work fine cuz I have 2 and niether have issues but both have with a cheap protector on them and with ics. Its a known issue since the day the phone was released. Period.

Sprint and HTC are aware of the proximity sensor having issues after the Jelly Bean update. HTC is working on a fix currently. I do not havea current ETA for the update as they are still working on implementing a fix and testing.