Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVP 4G LTE - Duplicate SMS Messages

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC EVP 4G LTE - Duplicate SMS Messages

Hi everyone,

I continue to get duplicate SMS messages. I just activated the new phone yesterday and last night and today i have been getting duplicate SMS messages from another Sprint User. I did a PRL and Profile Update. I also accepted the update Sprint pushed to the phone.

Call into Sprint and they did not fix the problem. Does anyone have any further advice? I am located in the long Island NY. Stock SMS application.

8 REPLIES 8
Master

Re: HTC EVP 4G LTE - Duplicate SMS Messages

There are actually two possibilities.

1. Problem with your connection to the network where it doesn't think you received the message.
  2. Problem with the senders network where it doesn't think you received the message.

Does it happen with EVERY message received or only a certain person? If every message, then the 1st one is probably the problem. If only from a particular person or persons on the same network then the 2nd one is probably the problem.

When it happens to me, it tends to be only with some of my Verizon contacts, people I know whom are on the Verizon network.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Thanks for the reply,

I don't really get SMS messages from many other people on the Sprint network. Before this I was using an HTC EVO and then on Saturday I swapped over to the HTC 4G LTE. The other user is also on Sprint and using the same htc phone he has always been using with no changes.

There were no problems with me getting repeat messages till I swapped to the new phone. He on the other hand text messages multiple people on Sprint phones and after asking all of them, none have told them that they received duplicate messages.

Logically we believe its my phone since the problems started after changing to a new EVO.

Master

Its possible its the way your particular phone is communicating with the network. Being that it's a brand new line. But things like that mnormally go away after a few days once it's been on the network for a little while. If it still continues to do it, they may beable to reconfigure it to the network, see if that fixes things.

Hopefully an Admin will be in here shortly and contact you by PM for additional information related to your acct.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Thanks for the reply.

Just wanted to update, today my friend on AT&T sent me a text, and it got repeated 5 times. I will keep everyone posted.

Master

Just so your aware. Everything could be looked at, reconfigured and given an OK, but you could still receive duplicates if you or the sender are in a spotty connection area at the time the message was received/sent. This happens across all network and all phones for some reason. It could be the case your having now, just coincided with getting a new phone. Not saying it is the case for your situation, just keep that in mind if after everyone looks at the phone and or the network and gives you a clean bill of health. 

Not sure why exactly it happens, near as we can tell it has to do with a weak signal on either the senders or the recipients phone. And the phones/networks didn't receive an aknowledgment from each other or something.

--

Journeyman

Exact same problem here, never had it on EVO 4g...just on the EVO 4g LTE.  Sometimes I get the same message up to 8 times, all with the same time stamp.  It also gets gets stuck trying to send messages. When that happens I have to delete the message, restart the phone and try again.  Having to do this multiple times a day gets old very fast!!!!

Master

I've had it happen on both the OEVO and the LTEVO. As a result, that's why I point more at the network(s) of the phones rather then the phones themselves. My parents SGII's have it happen occasionally as well. Even my brothers Rezound has it happen occasionaly, so it's not specific to Sprint as the Rezound is a Verizon phone.

--

Journeyman

Ok so I think the problem is finally fixed. Called up sprint they had me do a few things including ##33... something and an EPST reset I believe. Finally, they had me do a reset within the phone. This causes you to lose all your contacts and information. Not a big deal. Also wanted to add that I had used SMS Backup+ to restore my SMS and phone logs into the phone after getting it. So not sure if something happened while restoring that information and/or it was just a bad activation.

3 days now no repeat SMS from anyone.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat