Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Evo 4G Lte Sense 4.1/Jellybean Updates

Go to solution
Journeyman

HTC Evo 4G Lte Sense 4.1/Jellybean Updates

Does anyone happen to have any information as to when the HTC Evo 4g Lte will receive either Sense 4.1 or Jellybean?  I assume that this phone will be upgraded- as the international One X and One S have received Sense 4.1.  Also, the Evo 4g Lte is a flagship phone, and they were pretty good with updates on the original Evo.  Any insight would be helpful (insight from Sprint employees is also highly welcomed!).  Thanks!

482 REPLIES 482
Journeyman

You're absolutely right, brand3-16. Mine was doing the exact same thing with no screen protector or case. I called Tech Support, and we did two complete operating system reinstalls using the ## codes, and the problem was not resolved. Since it was my second one (On December 4, Sprint replaced my original phone. I'd had to take into the service center three times since I got it in June because of network connectivity issues—I would stop getting calls and emails, lose the ability to make calls and lose the ability to connect to 3G. Each time, they would wipe it and return it to me, which meant wasting two hours of my life setting it back up the way I'd had it. Finally, the fourth time, they were unable to repair it and replaced it with a factory refurbished one.), I finally gave up on the EVO and talked Sprint into replacing it with a Samsung Galaxy S 3. It's really a shame, because having had both, I  believe that the EVO is a superior phone with more features—when it works. HTC just doesn't seem to have the quality control that Samsung does. When I went in to pick up my Galaxy, the guys in the store finally admitted that they see a TON of EVOs come in with problems, while they hardly ever see a Galaxy S 3. I don't like the Galaxy as much, but at least it works.

Master

Actually, my Proximity Sensor does work fine. Which makes the whole thing confusing. Some phones aren't having the problem, others are. Although in some cases, they were the screen protectors and/or cases which is why allot of people are asking that question.

But I'm also seeing people having the problem even after verifying no scren protectors and/or cases. Why it worked before the update and now it doesn't is a mystery as we don't know what changed specifically. All we can do is get in touch with Sprint if our phones exhibit this problem.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Ok people, let's get this sorted out once and for all. If you are having the proximity sensor problem, IT IS NOT A SCREEN PROTECTOR /CASE ISSUE. This is a HTC code problem with JB. Your screen protectors worked fine before the update, they will work once HTC gets a fix out. (i am no expert, don't claim to be one, but trust me, HTC knows about this issue)

If you can't hold out until update comes, I guess you can either try cut out around sensor, or I believe it will work if you are in good lighting. (not positive on that though, YMMV)

If you don't want your phone connecting to wifi when you have it off, settings>wifi more settings>connections optimizer >un check this. Not positive on quite that sequence, I am on a GS3.

And just a fyi, my gs3 took a pretty good battery hit when it went to JB. It has gotten better over time, turn off what you don't need. Manually sync, don't use battery savers, keep display on auto brightness etc..

Journeyman

smotrs wrote:

Do the following which will revert your phone back to how it was basically configured on ICS.

• Disable Power Saver mode.
  • Disable Sprint Connections Optimizer.
  • Under Advance WiFi settings, change "Keep WiFi on during sleep" from Always to Never.
  • Manually turn off/on WiFi as you did with ICS.
  • Manually change your Screen timeout settings to what you had in ICS.
  • Check all your Sync Settings.

My battery issue is definitely fixed now.  For me, it was disabling "Power Saver Mode", the ultimate irony.  I already tried almost everything else, including the items you have there.  Thanks everyone who contributed to the power issue answer.

Journeyman

This whole thing is strange.

I had the proximity sensor problem, I took off my screen protector and the problem went away.

Also, my battery life has literally doubled since the update. Which I find strange that so many others seem to have issues.

I have the new battery saver feature ON.

I turned OFF the Wi-fi optimizer B.S.

The one thing I can think of that I have not seen mentioned is cdma/lte mode versus only cdma mode. I had this turned to cdma only with ICS because I have no LTE here. After the Jellybean update it defaulted back to cdma/lte mode.

So I switched it back to cdma only. If you are like me without LTE and had it turned off with ICS, the LTE radio is turned on again and could be a cause of your poor battery life if it's always searching for LTE.

Master

Keep in mind, Sprint Connections Optimizer doesn't stay off, it keeps restarting on it's own. Only way to truly stop it is the following,

• Settings > Apps > Allt Tab > Connection Optimizer

Press the Force Stop and Deisable buttons.

Then it won't restart anymore.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Dear smotrs,

Thanks for your suggestions to improve battery life.  I hope to see what I had before the update.

Doc

Journeyman

I completely gave up with this update. I like some of the improvements but overall the phone does not respond well, seems very sluggish among other things. They definitely need to work this update through some more testing before releasing it. I LOVED this phone before the update. I've gone through 2 factory resets and took it to a repair store where they told me the phone was fine. I refused the phone and they sent me a new one with ice cream on it. Thank God. I have my old phone back. I love it again.

Wizard

replying to original post via  Firefox.

rweb82 wrote:

Does anyone happen to have any information as to when the HTC Evo 4g Lte will receive either Sense 4.1 or Jellybean?  I assume that this phone will be upgraded- as the international One X and One S have received Sense 4.1.  Also, the Evo 4g Lte is a flagship phone, and they were pretty good with updates on the original Evo.  Any insight would be helpful (insight from Sprint employees is also highly welcomed!).  Thanks!.

Journeyman

I'm new to this forum and have some information for anyone going through the BATTERY LIFE issue after the update. I've read the suggestions regarding the Sprint Optimizer, reverting settings "back to ICS", as well as called HTC and all have failed. I used to get amazing battery life. I had an Evo 4g (wimax) before getting this phone and I had to do all of the battery saving tricks to get good (at least a day) battery life out of it. Since getting my LTE phone it's been solid for a day whether used heavily or not. No management (no live wallpaper or feeds either but still good). Since the update I'm looking at 6-10 hours depending on the use. Unacceptable. The above tricks have not helped. HTC would only give me the usual "turn off everything", "no live wallpaper" etc. but refused to admit that the update is broken. I am pretty close to going to the sprint store and asking for a phone with ICS on it. STAY AWAY FROM THE UPDATE.

As far as a diagnosis is concerned, here is what I have. Pre-update the phone seemed to do well with rogue apps and syncing. I could have email sync on and no huge battery drains. If I checked running processes I didn't get some weird app taking up 50% of the power that I hadn't even turned on. Similar bugs to the original Evo. Now all of those problems are there. I also have more issues with WIFI not connecting. The phone is also having issues syncing with google (for email, contacts etc.).

The guy at HTC said that 8-10 hours is average good battery life but what he refused to accept was that it was way better before the update. The fact that I can't revert back is mind-numbing and unacceptable. This post is somewhat of a rant to discourage people from the update as well as see if anyone has the same issues and finally if anyone is a genius and can fix it. My fear is that it can't be fixed and I will have to wait for a fix and be once again frustrated with a phone I pay $100 a month just to have and more to originally buy. I will say it again - an update should NOT require someone to figure out how to make it work. If I had rooted, yes, figure out how to make a third party system work, makes sense. An official update? Absolutely not. HTC, Sprint - get your acts together.

Journeyman

I totall agree. I am also really unhappy about the whole situation. First they release what seems like a beta version of jellybean and cripple my phone with bugs, glitches and interface changes that were not listed in the change notes. Then they tell me I cannot go back to the previous version of the software. I think that information alone should have been listed. I am a very unhappy customer as I depend on my phone daily and has become undependable and frustrating to use.

Journeyman

Maybe the only people that are taking the time to post are those that are having problems... All of my problems went away with the upgrade. I am in Jelly bean heaven... This upgrade saved my Evo. I was going to ditch this thing and go SIII no matter the cost and now it's great. No battery issues, no wifi issues, no contact issues. I'm sorry for those that are having issues. Truly. I just wanted to let everyone know that the problems are not universal.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat