cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC frustration. (Sorry, it's long.)

HTC frustration. (Sorry, it's long.)

This is just about me being tired of HTC devices. I'm on my third (and final) HTC smartphone, an EVO 4G LTE, and it's finally starting to go the way of my previous ones. First was the Hero, which turned into a Zero after being upgraded to Gingerbread from Eclair. Then was the EVO Design 4G, which lost all of its luster after being upgraded to ICS from Gingerbread. And now, my 4G LTE is going batcrap crazy. Difference is, I purposely avoided upgrading this one after spending some time in the forums and reading about the problems people have been writing about with this phone and Jelly Bean. I thought I would be okay until a week ago. I began missing calls and having network problems. Sounds (ringtones, notifications, etc.) are incorrect sometimes now, and Beats seems to turn itself on or off regardless of the button being on or off. I noticed this while listening to music on Pandora. I can definitely tell the difference in music sound when it's on, and after turning it off, the music still sounded exactly like when it's on. But, it cuts out intermittently. The network problems are getting worse now. One day this week, I was unable to do anything with it as it reported network errors all that day, even though the wi-fi symbol was shown atop its screen and it showed being connected in Settings. When I turned it off, it showed being connected to the mobile network, but still wouldn't let me do anything that required a network connection. And it's sadly ironic that, after getting a few messages, mails, and notifications from Sprint about it "New and improved 4G network" that's supposed to be up to 10x faster... I can't even use it. That was a great disappointment with my Design 4G. See, WiMax never made it to this area, so I was really let down when I saw all the advertisements for 4G and then couldn't even use it. Especially since Sprint's 3G is so slow here. So imagine my surprise (I've posted about this on this site before) when I noticed the '4G' icon on my 4G LTE while at work one day some months ago. I was overjoyed. Until I got home. No 4G here. Then some time later, I found 4G at the end of my street. Its speed tested averages of 12 to 15 Mbps, and peaked at (get this) 23.4 Mbps. I was floored. Even right outside of my house, I can attain (most of the time) reliable 4G, but the minute I step inside, it goes away. I know about this phone and its antenna issues, but that really ****. Especially now that I have problems getting 4G anywhere sometimes. Combine that with the other issues it's exhibiting, and you've got an ex-HTC customer. It lags, its battery is determined not to hold a charge now, it has problems connecting to bluetooth devices now, and the keyboards have gone batcrap crazy. Swype frequently fails, closes, or just disappears. The standard keyboard rarely inputs the correct words and cannot seem to recognize what word I am trying to input, no matter how precisely I slide my finger or stylus. Example: I was trying to put in "now" and it corrected it to "around". It also disappears randomly. So, to sum it all up, I think I'm done with HTC now. I've been trying to hold on to my 4G LTE since it's not even a year old yet ( I think I got it 5 or 6 months ago) and I really love the screen and metal accents. Great screen. And I think that even if I get a replacement, it'd probably have Jelly Bean. I was trying to avoid that, as I've had so much misfortune with upgrading my previous devices (all HTC as I said up there ^). So, I'll try to hold on to this one and hope for the best. I've an upgrade coming in April, and I'm thinking Galaxy S4 if the next iPhone isn't out yet. Any thoughts?

Message was edited by: TheModerator - This is a public forum. Please remember that all messages must abide by the Community Guidelines.

12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

Re: HTC frustration. (Sorry, it's long.)

I'm thinking the S4 as well. I'm two bios upgrades behind so I never dealt with the new "enhancements" sprint offered. the phone is starting to act weird. this week it dropped the blutooth profiles and the network stuff is all over the place. they did just start turning up LTE here in Vegas this month but it's not stable enough to get excited about.

Journeyman

Aw man if Vegas doesn't have a stable 4g lte connection, then I am screwed here in Louisville, who still does not have 4g.

Yeah, the S4 is looking really good right about now. I'm having a few other problems, too. And actually, I'll be screwed for sure soon. I'm moving to San Francisco soon... No 4G whatsoever. I looked at some coverage maps for other carriers and it doesn't seem like anybody has 4G out there. What's the deal? Or, am I incorrect?

Journeyman

Oh, I see. I thought about Verizon, but I'd be paying something like 50 bucks more than I am now. And then there's that data cap thing... I saw a few posts and articles about Sprint rolling out 4G in a few spots, but nowhere near where I'll be. Only AT&T had a little 4G near that neighborhood on the Sensorly maps. I'd rather stick with Sprint, but this phone has to go.

Journeyman

Word of advice, don't wait for an upgrade. Sell your phone and use that money to help you get what you want on eBay (preferred) or local, Craigslist. Reason is to avoid an extension on your contract.

Let me tell you that I have had Sprint since 2010 and 2010 when I had the OG Evo, 4G was promised rather soon. Well it's nearly 2014 and I am the 16th largest city in the U.S., Louisville, and we have spotty 4G signals. Meaning we have 4G in 2 areas that no one lives in and when you connect, the data **** and does not even work. So I would just call up local stores of the zip you are moving to and seeing what carriers have 4G in your area. I am surprised that SF wouldn't have 4G.

To make your bill cheaper, most of the times you can get a discount by your employer. Google your phone carriers and add in employee discount and it should bring a link of their page requesting you provide a work email and it will confirm or deny it. Also if you are a student, they offer small discounts that help the bill too. This is Sprint's. http://mysprint.sprint.com/verify/?ECID=vanity:verify

Good luck!

Message was edited by: TheModerator - This is a public forum. Please remember that all messages must abide by the Community Guidelines.

GrandMaster

actually Louisville started the new LTE deployment before or right around when LV did.

i'll see if i can locate the thread of people posting their LTE sightings and locations.

biracialme wrote:

Aw man if Vegas doesn't have a stable 4g lte connection, then I am screwed here in Louisville, who still does not have 4g.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Interesting, when you try to register at the link http://mysprint.sprint.com/verify/?ECID=vanity:verify and then fill in all the information and hit the submit button it gives a full page error saying "Link does not exist. Did you mean sprint.com?"

Then if you go back and fill in your number and hit the continue button it tells you "We’ve already received your email address. Please watch for an email to the address issued to you by your company, university or organization and click the link within it to complete the proof of eligibility.".

GrandMaster

a tower off Preston Hwy has had the NV upgrades done to it..its still in the test and tune phase..but its been worked on..

Re: SPRINT I WANT ANSWERS!!!   LTE LOUISVILLE KY

flip to say the last 3 or so pages...if you start at the front all you will hear is a whole bunch of screaming..actually it might be a bit entertaining to see how much their attitudes change up as they go through and start getting a signal lol.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************

That's actually how I got my LTEVO. I was pushed to get a replacement for my D4G since it was all screwed up after the ICS upgrade, and found a new one on ebay. And I've found out that two carriers have verified 4G in San Fran, but no one has it anywhere near where I'll be living. Guess I better get some good wi-fi service when I get there. I had no idea about an employee discount, and it just so happens I'll be a student at that time...

Highlighted

I got some error pages while trying to check out the site last night, myself. I couldn't sign in. It must have fixed itself or something because I'm having no problems now.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat