ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had an LTE signal... no more. Is it the phone, or the tower?

Journeyman

Had an LTE signal... no more. Is it the phone, or the tower?

I'm in Kansas City, and I upgraded from an OG Evo 4g, to the LTE version after I read that the LTE rollout in KC was official 'switched on'. Unfortunately for the first week or two that I owned it the phone would not connect to LTE. I was initially furious... not only had I downgraded (my old Evo 4g got a very steady WIMAX signal), but the 3g service on the phone was considerably worse than the old Evo 4g.

I read around a bit, and started trying out the tricks listed in various forums. Turned out that if I toggled airplane mode enough, the phone would latch onto a cruddy LTE signal, but it would typically hold it pretty well. The performance was way better than the 3g... nothing spectacular (not even as good as the older WIMAX), but actually functional.

The weird thing is, two weeks ago it simply stopped being able to pick up the LTE signal. Since then I have rebooted the phone and toggled airplane mode over and over, every single day, and not once has it latched on like it used to. I know that the 4g antenna works, because I've seen sporadic connections to other LTE towers while driving around or visiting other areas in the city (including one in the boonies between KC and Lawrence that speed test reported was giving 20Mbps down and up, and sub 50ms ping!). It seems to just be the tower next to my home (Westport area in KC) that doesn't broadcast LTE anymore... or perhaps my phone that can not get LTE from that specific tower. I have updated PRL/Profile many times, andI even just tried a factory reset. Nothing works. It refuses to pick up LTE. This is a huge problem, as the phone's 3g performance is so bad that the phone effectively has no data connection. It can't make it through a song on pandora without excess skipping, it takes three times as long to load a video on youtube as it does to watch it (after automatically downgrading the quality to the point where I think I've developed glaucoma). Forget surfing the internet on the phone.

So has anyone else had this problem? Do you think something is wrong with my phone? Or is there some way to report a problem with the local tower?

3 REPLIES 3
Master

Re: Had an LTE signal... no more. Is it the phone, or the tower?

Depends, any other phones accessing it? If so, then it's probably the phone if not then probably the tower.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

I wish I had another 4g phone in order to test this out, but I am the only adopter that I know. I'm more curious if anyone has had a similar experience, with an LTE connection that lasted for a few days/weeks/months then suddenly disappeared.

Master

When they are first setting it up I've heard it happens quite a bit. It can be on for several days and off for several days while testing. Eventually it will stay on and then they will announce the market or city available.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat