cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an EVO 4G LTE, and it's WiFi has made me depressed since I got it in June...

Journeyman

I have an EVO 4G LTE, and it's WiFi has made me depressed since I got it in June...

This post isn't really about asking a question, unfortunately I already know the answer... HTC needs to get their software fixed!  I just want to keep making angry noise since I've been inconvenienced by this since I got the phone in June, and I don't see any progress being made towards fixing it...

At first, I lived through all of the other EVO 4G LTE problems, the random wifi disconnects, the random 3g radio slowdowns, the murderous rage, the random reboots, etc.  Some of it was fixed with the software update, but much of what they claimed to fix didn't actually get fixed.  It seems that a lot of what wasn't fixed has sort of worked itself out in the last few weeks (or I've just had a really lucky few weeks) but the one problem that is possibly the most annoying of all has never gone away....

When I am connected to my home WiFi, the phone will go through little periodic spurts of losing packets.  Where this is the biggest problem is when I am trying to make phone calls with Talkatone or GrooveIP.  AT BEST it will go for 2-3 minutes without dropping any packets, but typically it will drop for 1-2 seconds every 30-60 seconds, which will manifest itself in the phone call as a spot of complete silence for both ends of the call.  For the past hour I have been pinging my phone, and the average loss was 3%.  That doesn't sound like much, but compared to the 10 other wireless devices on my network that report 0% loss, it is.  Plus like I said, it's not a nice even 3% loss, everything will happen at once, so it sounds great for a while, then nothing, great, then nothing, great, then nothing, then more nothing just because the phone is a jerk.  I have of course done everything I can to be sure it isn't interference, bad equipment, etc.  It's not.  Like I said, I have 10 other wireless devices in my home, and they all report a rock-solid connection, and behave accordingly.  That aside, I have STILL switched out access points, changed channels, tweaked fragmentation and RTS thresholds and DTIM intervals, switched frequencies from within the phone, got drunk out of anger, picked myself back up, and then kept trying to switch channels.  I have even opened the phone up (just kidding warranty police) and done the WiFi antenna fix, which did improve the signal, but did nothing to help the periodic drops.  Oh yeah and on top of that I've been through the customer service ringer several times and been to the store several times.  I've had my firmware flashed, my PRL updated and my OS reset to defaults more times than I've been to visit my Grandpa in his assissted living home (fortunately he does not use the internet or a cell phone, so he won't see this).  Oh and I've also had a replacement phone since I lost my first one on a rollie coaster, (http://youtu.be/p5Oi57fqdU0) which was indeed soul-shattering.  The problems have been present on both phones....

So hey, I am definitely open to any suggestions/ideas anyone may have, but I'm not holding my breath.  I mainly just want to hear as much angry noise as possible from people who are in the same boat as me, and who are desparately waiting for a fix... (No not THAT kind of fix...)

27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: I have an EVO 4G LTE, and it's WiFi has made me depressed since I got it in June...

Here's what the problem was with me BEFORE and AFTER the update: WiFi was on-off, hunting just like you say. I did not have that problem at work on the network that I administer. But at home at was the same old intermittent WiFi issue!

Here's what I found and did to fix my WiFi issue:  At work we have a G only network in one buillding and N in another.  At home I was setup A/B mixed. Changed it to G Only and I've been WiFi happy ever sinnce.

Hope this helps.

My 2 WiFi packets!

-Rod

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: I have an EVO 4G LTE, and it's WiFi has made me depressed since I got it in June...

Thanks for the advice, though unfortunately that was one of the things I already tried, I just forgot to mention it originally. 😞

My problem is not that it has any trouble connecting to or staying connected to a network, it's just a shaky connection. But as far as the phone says, I never lose connection, and I don't struggle to get connected. The only problem I have had regarding staying connected is actually kind of the opposite of everyone else. Sometimes when I leave the house and get out of range of my network, it will STAY connected, never falling back to 3G, which of course brings the whole connection to a halt, since it will obviously not get anything through my network once I'm more than a few houses away. Finally after the third firmware flash that particular issue seemed to work itself out. (or I've just had a lucky few weeks). The packet loss however is still a constant problem...

Highlighted
Master

The last update fixed several things with WiFi, unfortunately, it didn't fix all of them, there are still users having WiFi issues as you can attest. Supposedly, the next update should have even more WiFi issues addressed and will hopefully eliminate this problem for good for everyone.

Not sure when the update is coming, but it should be soon as it's been a month since the last the update.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Journeyman

What security are you using on router?  Try WPA2 if you are not.

Your application is pretty intensive, ill have to try something similar to see if I can duplicate.  My WiFi is fine as far as I can tell

Are you certain packet loss is problem and hiccups are nor caused by other devices accessing bandwidth or perhaps a sync on the device causing one app to drop while other takes priority?

Anyway good luck.  At least you are maintaining a good sense of humor...so far.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yep, I'm on WPA2 AES. Running wireless N, so I gotta to get the best speeds. Yeah it's definitely not related to interference or other devices. It will happen when nothing else is connected, and on the 5 GHz band that my phone uses we don't pick up any neighbors. I have also done ping tests with all our other devices we have on our wireless network and they can all go for hours and hours without dropping a single packet. (Even my old Samsung Intercept which is one of the worst phones ever made doesn't drop any)

My personal theory at this point is that there is just some background process or something that causes the WiFi to stop responding briefly. While running a ping test on my phone once I also turned on the CPU usage overlay in developer options, and it seemed that almost every drop in packets went along with a spike in the CPU usage....

Highlighted
GrandMaster

remember the issue back with the OEVO and a few other devices where they had to change up the refresh(or something like that) from infinite to every couple hours?..i wonder if this would be a work around in this case as well..for the life of me i cant find the threads that talked about it..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I do not remember the issues you're talking about.  Honestly this is my first "real" phone.  My first Android was a G1, but I was it's 3rd owner, and it was already 3 years old by that point.  My second one (the one right before this) was a Samsung Intercept, which was awful.  If you can find a thread about what you're talking about though I will gladly look into it.  I am open to try anything I haven't tried already.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Oh and after re-reading my original post I should mention that these issues are present on any wifi network I connect to, not just my home one, like it was sort of implied.  Of course when I'm out in public or at a friend's I can't do the extensive ping tests and experiments like I can at home, but the issues manifest themselves in the same way, so I'm sure if I could I'd see the same things...

Highlighted
GrandMaster

i was asking smotrs if he remembered the issue lol..either way it was the same type of deal as this here..which was why it popped into my head. are you fully up to date on the OS updates? if so then theres a good chance you'll end up having to do a dreaded FR..if THAT doesnt resolve it then most likely youre going to end up with another phone.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I've done a few factory resets at this point and I am all up to date.  The resets didn't help anything.  I have also already had a replacement phone (lost the original one on The Magnum at Cedar Point) and that didn't change anything...

Highlighted
GrandMaster

odd..2 phones doing the same thing..its not network related since youre trying to work off wifi and not the network itself..are there ANY locations that actually work?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat