cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm Able to Reproduce Reboot Issue on Command

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm Able to Reproduce Reboot Issue on Command

Second Update: I've discovered the issue was with my microSD card. For a brief second while doing a factory reset, a message scrolled in the notification bar that the SD card was "damaged" and then quickly vanished. I was lucky enough to catch it. After reformatting my SD card using SDFormatter, my device operates normally once more.

Updated: Third scenario added. It is my opinion that the reboots are caused by corrupted memory on the device, as each scenario involves direct access to the memory in some fashion.

I have the new HTC EVO 4G. Everything has been working great the past two weeks. Suddenly today, it began rebooting itself after 3-10 minutes of usage. I should note that if I leave the phone alone, it doesn't crash.

Here are two three scenarios in which I am able to reproduce the reboots 100% of the time:

Defect #1

Summary:

The phone reboots when navigating the Apps > All screen in the Settings menu.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Turn on device and navigate to the Settings menu.

2. Select "Apps" and then select the "All" tab.

3. Begin scrolling down the list of all apps.

Actual Result:

The phone reboots.

Expected Result:

The phone should continue operating as normal, displaying the list of all apps.

Defect #2

Summary:

The phone reboots when pressing the Back button while in the Facebook app.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Turn on device and open the Facebook app.

2. Allow the app to load the news feed.

3. Press the Back button below the screen.

Actual Result:

The phone reboots.

Expected Result:

The phone should continue operating as normal, navigating back to the Home screen.

Note:

I have observed that the phone will reboot while loading the News Feed without having to press the Back button.

Defect #3

Summary:

The phone reboots when viewing the Storage screen in the Settings menu.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Turn on device and navigate to the Settings menu.

2. Select "Storage" and view the screen.

Actual Result:

The phone reboots.

Expected Result:

The phone should continue operating as normal, displaying the storage information.

Changes to Device:

Before issue began:

1. Today after work, I installed the Sprint certified car dock sold in the Sprint retail stores. It operated normally while docked. Problem began occurring approximately an hour later.

Hope this info helps the developers find a resolution. Feel free to contact me for additional information if needed.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Wizard

the above sounds like a local issue and not a general bug in the OS.

without having your handset readily avail to smoke over, it maybe in your  best interest to take it into a sprint corp. service center and have them diagnose. could be something under the hood but more than likely sounds like either a corrupted app install or UN install and/or a corrupt database within the handset that may require a factory reset.

ive had no memory issues with this device and I have had it since the first pre release. the unit i have is stock and un rooted with a 64GB SD card installed and a plethora of apps.

Highlighted
Master

I've seen one other issue of corrupted memory on this board. The user took the phone into a Sprint Repair center and was able to get a device swap by demoing the issue for the rep. I would suggest you attempt the same.

I'm also assuming you have tried a Hard Reset and the issues are still present, if so, be sure to mention that to the rep as well. Hard reset didn't resolve the issue for the other user as well.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
GrandMaster

by reboot are you saying it completley restarts itself or does it have the HTC splash screen pop up and then go away?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat