cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I really dislike that the camera button activates when the screen is locked. Really. A lot.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I really dislike that the camera button activates when the screen is locked. Really. A lot.

Add me to the list of people who find their cameras taking pictures of their pockets. I'm shocked to find that the camera activates when the screen is locked by design without this being an option. Please, please, please change this.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Journeyman

Really, I just tried.  My phone does nothing when I press the camera button (half or full press) if the screen is off, or on the unlock screen-- or even if the screen is unlocked. 

My camera button only seems to work if I have the camera app open.

(EVO LTE latest version-- stock NOT rooted).

UPDATE: If I hold the button for a long time (on the home screen), the camera app will start. But not on the lock screen or if the screen is off.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree that if I have the phone locked and click the camera button, it doesn't start the camera app. But it's a fact that more than once the camera has gone off while in my pocket (with the screen locked). I didn't quite believe it when it first happened because I had a hard shell case that wouldn't let me click the button on purpose. So I tried putting a gesture lock on the screen to no avail. I've since removed the home shortcuts from the locked screen and removed the hard shell for a leather sheath in hopes that stops that stops the inadvertant activations.

Message was edited by: N5tyzAjw84

Highlighted
Journeyman

Really, I just tried. My phone does nothing when I press the camera button (half or full press) if the screen is off, or on the unlock screen-- or even if the screen is unlocked.

My camera button only seems to work if I have the camera app open.

(EVO LTE latest version-- stock NOT rooted).

UPDATE: If I hold the button for a long time (on the home screen), the camera app will start. But not on the lock screen or if the screen is off.

Same here no camera issues

Highlighted
Master

If your phone is really taking pictures in side your pocket while locked, I would do two different things. Add a screen lock of some sort, i.e. pattern trace, code, facial recognition, etc..

• Settings > Security > Screen Lock

Then I would also take it down to a Sprint repair center to be looked at. As mentioned above, the button should not allow activation unless the screen is completely unlocked.

Do you by chance have any third party apps that allow camera usage? Other camera apps, barcode scanners, etc.. Possibly one of them causing an override or bypass of the screen lock.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Sprint Employee

It sounds like you may have narrowed it down to the lock screen shortcuts. wou may want to consider facing the phone in your pocket the opposite way (screen out/in) you may be able to double check this by putting something like kids doodle as a lock screen shortcut this may show you a trace of where/how the camera had been activated before.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

1. Yes, it's really taking pictures in my pocket, when it's locked. I am not imagining it, and others have reported same.

2. I did set a pattern trace and facial recognition, without affect, as I mentioned.

3. Yes, I have third party apps that affect the camera, for example, the bar code app. Perhaps it's the culprit. I'll ask the creator. But surely many people have that app. I'm not, otherwise app-happy, and am careful of what I installed. However, most apps seem to take extreme liberties with access that it's not an unreasonable suggestion.

4. I would take it to the store if I could reproduce it reliably, which I can't, and they will likely be as disbelieving as many readers here are.

Meanwhile I've worked around the problem by changing to a case I can put in my pocket.

I also removed the screen short cuts from the locked screen (an option somewhere in settings). I don't know if that had any affect.

Mostly I wanted to add my voice to the others who've experienced it in hopes that folks will start to take the reports seriously.

smotrs wrote:

If your phone is really taking pictures in side your pocket while locked, I would do two different things. Add a screen lock of some sort, i.e. pattern trace, code, facial recognition, etc..

• Settings > Security > Screen Lock

Then I would also take it down to a Sprint repair center to be looked at. As mentioned above, the button should not allow activation unless the screen is completely unlocked.

Do you by chance have any third party apps that allow camera usage? Other camera apps, barcode scanners, etc.. Possibly one of them causing an override or bypass of the screen lock.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unfortunately I didn't test the lock screen shortcuts solo, so I don't really know if it did the trick. But, keeping the phone in a case in my pocket seems to avoid the problem. So far, anyway. I don't really want to spend a huge amount of time troubleshooting this. And as smotrs notes, it could be a ill-behaving app. I'll have to reexamine what apps I have with camera priviliges. But if time allows, it's an interesting problem, and it might be fun to try your suggestion of the shortcut.

ETA: It's likely the phone was front-facing and rear-facing, as well as upside-down and right-side up when it happened. I never look at how I'm stashing it. But it would also be an interesting idea to explore given time.

RC1024 wrote:

It sounds like you may have narrowed it down to the lock screen shortcuts. wou may want to consider facing the phone in your pocket the opposite way (screen out/in) you may be able to double check this by putting something like kids doodle as a lock screen shortcut this may show you a trace of where/how the camera had been activated before.

Highlighted
Master

Try booting to Safe Mode and use the phone like that for a while, see if it continues.

To boot to Safe Mode, Restart phone, at first white boot screen, press and hold Volume Down button until fully booted. You should see Safe Mode in the bottom left corner.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Mine doesn't either

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat