cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is "Navigation Beta" a replacement for Sprint Navigation?

Journeyman

Is "Navigation Beta" a replacement for Sprint Navigation?

I've got a new HTC EVO 4G LTE and discovered that it doesn't have Sprint Navigation but something called NAV or Navigation (Beta).  Is it possible to somehow download Sprint Navigation, which I had on my old phone and loved, or do I have to buy a GPS device?  NAV sucks....it's frankly a piece of **** (fill in your own word!).  I used to type in an address in my old phone and be on my way in less than two minutes.  It takes forever (and I mean more than 15 minutes!!!!)  to enter a destination and god forbid that you make a mistake because there is no edit capability....you delete (which also isn't intuitive) and start all over.  It's the most un-intuitive app I've ever encountered among a host of bad apps by Sprint, most of which are at least tolerable.  Sprint really blew this one.  And the Speak Destination feature can't tell the difference between Colorado and Michigan no matter how many ways you try.  They got me for another two years but after that it's Verizon or ATT.

Tags (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Wizard

Re: Is "Navigation Beta" a replacement for Sprint Navigation?

Relax, chill.  Just because you don't know what you're doing doesn't make it someone else's fault.

From this site (see top of page) under Phones, here is a download link to your User Guide. If it takes you a year in pieces, read it:

http://shop.sprint.com/global/pdf/user_guides/htc/evo_4g_lte/htc_evo_4g_lte_ug.pdf

Go to page 95, Navigation and start there.  AFAICT, you have Google Maps preinstalled (see page 98 and start reading).  It also appears that you have Telenav GPS Navigation pre-installed (page 102).  This is what was formerly called Sprint Navigation (by Telenav).  This version may not be as full featured as your former version (IDK) but Telenav offer a paid version in the Play Store.

GPS services are provided by a chip in your phone.  It's useless without the software program to run it.  Either use one of the programs provided on your device or go get another from the Play Store (there are at least a hundred, some free, some paid).

I don't have this phone or an Android phone and I got this far!  Good luck!

Journeyman

First of all your response is offensive.  I do know what I'm doing.  And Sprint info doesn't refer to the HTC version which is Google Navigation (Beta) and the beta designation says it all.  It's not ready for prime time.  A quick search of HTC EVO owners confirms there is no way to edit or delete information, at least with the version loaded on my phone, and the Speak Destination feature sort of works....but not when I needed it to.  I might be frustrated but when you step off a plane with a new top-of-the-line phone with a very pricey service (I have family data unlimited!) you expect more than what I got.  And when you have to go back to the car rental agency to rent a GPS unit because this piece of crappy Google software doesn't work I tend not to "chill".  And to boot I found out that I can download the original Sprint Navigation......for another $3 a month!  I'm sure all the carriers have ways of nickle-and-diming you to death but you'd think that being a faithful client for over ten years they'd cut me some slack!  End of contract I'm out of here!

Master

Phone should come with Google Navigation by default and you can add others like Telenav. The Navigation app under the App Drawer is actually the Google Navigation and it's actually very easy to use. It allows you to Type your destinaion, Speak your destination or choose it on Google Maps. If you have the address added to your contacts, you can even choose it there and it will launch the Navigation and give you directions from your current location to that destination.

If you still don't like it, you can download the Telenav app via the Play Store. This is the one Sprint used.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
GrandMaster

not sure about the beta part though..is yours popping up as beta? i wonder if theyre debating adding some new options to it and are using the mighty phone owners as test dumbies lol. i dont see any beta on my older than old phone here so it must be a you guys only deal

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Master

It actually says Google Navigation with an itty bitty Beta just after Navigation.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

SPRINT HAS CERTAINLY PISSED OFF COUNTLESS CUSTOMERS BY DROPPING NAVIGATION. I THINK I'LL BE DROPPING SPRINT WHEN MY CONTRACT IS UP. IT TAKES BALLS TO JUST DROP A SERVICE THAT SO MANY CUSTOMERS RELY ON. ANOTHER DUMB MANAGEMENT TEAM STRIKES AGAIN!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat