Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is that hideous bottom menu bar permanent?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is that hideous bottom menu bar permanent?

Or if I switch to another launcher, will it go away?l

Dolphin Browser won't let me get rid of it, even if I select to. The stock browser let's me browser full screen thankfully, but i'd be nice to use whichever browser I want without that horrid black bar. Official Twitter app uses it too. Why didn't they incorporate a menu soft key?? Or is it just ICS related?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Wizard

mikeatsprint,

You can try a different launcher and see if that will work for your needs.While we cannot support the launchers other than what is stock on the device, we have heard of success with these other applications.

Markie_B

Highlighted
Journeyman

You are getting the menu bar because the app doesnt fully support ICS.  Some older launchers, launcher pro, adw, GO launcher, all have the menu bar in the launcher.  Newer launchers, made specifically for ICS do not have this bar, Apex and Nova off the top of my head.  As more and more apps get the 4.0 treatment, you will see the menu bar at the bottom go away.  Unfortunately we have to live with it while the apps catch up.

Edit for browser---  Try using Chrome Beta great full screen, no menu bar.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you for the reply. Do you know how to get Chrome to go full screen? I don't see a way to hide the menu or status bar at the top.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, that menu bar is super annoying!  I am surprised that the menu bar has to do with an app. not fully supporting ICS.  I don't think that's it.  Could be an HTC Sense thing?  I was running 4.0.4 ICS on my old NS4G and had the same apps. and I did not see that menu bar, ever.  The menu bar is there with Google Maps so that would mean that Maps is not fully supported by ICS?  Play Store doesn't have it and neither does Pulse.  So many apps do have it though, IMDB, Flixster, Quadrant, the Weather Channel, Engadget, Kindle, Flipboard, Amazon, Handcent SMS.  I would love to be able to get rid of it.  If anyone knows how to get rid of it, please let us all know.  Thank you!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, it is! That big beautiful screen and that bar is a real eyesore. I'll learn how to root and go with a custom rom down the road if it will get rid of it. If somehow it is just a matter of devs complying with ICS, then I'll wait, otherwise, gotta go! WWF, Instagram, those are just fine so something is up. Twitter's offical app isn't? Very strange.

This article from yesterday said that ICS accounts for 7.1% of Android OS. Might be a while to everybody is on board!

http://mashable.com/2012/06/02/ice-cream-sandwich-slow/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&ut...

Highlighted
Journeyman

My wife was using an app last night that had the menu bar, on my phone it did not.  We are both using EVO LTE's.  However we learned that she did not format and clear the date on her memory card before using it in her new phone, and i did.  She cleared the prorgams data.  Uninstalled and reinstalled from the play store....no more menu bar.  Maybe an idea?  did you clear the previous app data from your old phone?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm not using any sd card in this current phone. Just internal space for now. That's really strange though.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Kmoore7580, Can you please tell me what apps that you and your wife were both using?  I am going to see what happens on my phone with these same apps.  As far as I can tell, the issue is that the EVO LTE has no menu button built into the bottom.  The NS4G, GS2, GNEX, all have a menu button.  The only time that we don't see the menu bar on this phone is when the app. itself has a menu button in it.  There may be no way to remedy this situation, which would be a real pain.  I don't have a MicroSD card in the phone at all and never have and I have the menu bar coming up for a ton of apps.  It's frustrating, for sure.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Certainly, the app that comes to mind is Zedge, its a wallpaper and ringtone app.  She had it on her evo, moved her sd card to the LTE installed it from the market and had the black menu bar.  I did not have it on my sd card, installed it, and did not have the menu bar.  She uninstalled hers, this removing the "installed files" on the sd card, then after reinstallingit, her menu bar was gone. 

I am pretty sure that apps made for ICS+ are required to have a menu soft key built in to the app, thus eliminating the need for the hard key on the phone.  I think that ICS see's that the app doesnt have a menu soft key and this requires the black bar so that you can access the menu on the app.

I also refer to a couple of launchers that I use.

1. GO Launcher, when installed (as of last week) looks like crap as a launcher becasue it has that black bar and is not ICS ready.

2. Apex Launcher, when installed, does not have a menu bar because it is specifically designed to run on ICS.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat