cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's hear some more noise for all the EVO 4G LTE problems that STILL go unfixed!!!

Journeyman

Let's hear some more noise for all the EVO 4G LTE problems that STILL go unfixed!!!

I know from reading countless forum posts that many people are sick and tired of the shoddy connection on the EVO 4G LTE.  They said that last week's OTA update would fix it, but it didn't.  For me the issues WERE resolved for about 24 hours after taking the update.  But the first time I left the house the next day it went right back to doing that thing where it stays connected to your wifi network long after you've left it's range, and the only way to get it to drop back onto 3g is to disable wifi.  The rest of that car ride was more of the same crappy 3g connection.  This issue is absolutely infuriating when driving, since I am using my phone to stream internet radio.  Once it gets stuck in it's little loop of failure, the result is that the music plays for about 2-3 seconds, pauses for 5-10, plays for 2-3 more, pauses for another 5-10, repeat ad nauseam.  Even when I venture into areas that I KNOW have rock solid connections with good speeds it still can't get it together. 

So I'm getting really tired of this, and I am the most sympathetic to technical issues and big business of anyone you'll meet.  (I was one of about 5 people in the world who were actually on Netflix's side when they raised their prices, if that tells you anything about just how calm and logical I am)  But come on Sprint, this phone is all over your billboards and commercials, but everyone I know who has one regrets it.  So I'm not really bringing anything new to the table here, I'm just feeling like making some noise.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease, you know...

So to summarize, here's all the problems I have had so far, NONE of which were fixed by the recent update: (other than for the 24 hours after receiving it.  What a beautiful 24 hours it was.  For that one day I actually had a real working phone...)

-WiFi randomly disconnects anywhere from every few minutes to every few hours. 

-When the WiFi actually manages to stay connected for a while, it's still wildly inconsistent.  One single speed test will show it bottoming out to 0 kbps at least 2-3 times in the test and then quickly shooting back up to peak.  This extreme fluctuation makes watching Netflix horrible. It's barely ever able to get through an entire episode without stopping and needing reloaded

-Most of the time when leaving a WiFi hotspot the phone will not disconnect from it, even after you are FAR away from it.  Obviously this brings the entire data connection to a halt, and the only thing you can do is disable WiFi, which will force it to jump back to 3G.  Some times I have even had to completely reboot the phone.  This makes me cry, which is fine I guess, everyone can use a good cry, except I'm not sure if my replacement insurance covers water damage from tears of sorrow.

-Once you finally get away from a WiFi hotspot, you nightmare is only beginning.  Most of the time the 3g is just as inconsistent as the WiFi.  It seems like it's awfulness is triggered by a low-speed area.  From using my old phone on sprint to stream radio around town for the last two years, I pretty much know where all the good and bad spots are.  It will work until you hit a bad spot, but even once you get out of the bad spot, it still behaves as if you're in one. 

Now I have heard it said that the 3g issues can be helped by switching the network mode to CDMA only, but this is obviously not a proper fix.  I will definitely try it, since I know I don't have any LTE around me yet (Columbus, OH) but when I do, I don't want to have to turn it off to have a good phone! 

And before I hear the same old crap everyone tries to feed us EVO 4G LTE owners, this issue is NOT the tower.  At least not 100%.  First of all, something is clearly not right with it's handling of the data connection all together, as evidenced by all the WiFi issues.  But on top of that, in many of these cases where I am having serious issues, someone right next to me on a different phone can still be working just fine, pulling 2-3 Mbps.  A couple months ago we actually DID have some serious tower problems in our area, but Sprint gave us a free Airave and that immediately took care of those. 

So please please please Sprint throw your weight around and make HTC fix this phone!  Or maybe it's you guys who write your carrier specific code, I don't know.  Whoever it is, get it fixed!!  This is my first ever "real" phone (not my first Android by any means, but my first one that wasn't years behind the curve, or just painfully slow, like my Samsung Intercept) and yet I still feel like I'm using the piece of crap they give away for free!  You KNOW there's a problem if there's things that my old Samsung Intercept can do BETTER than this EVO 4G LTE.  (For those who are unaware, the Samsung Intercept was a phone released in 2010 that was a co-designed project between Samsung and a big talking pile of cow excrement. It's primary features were a disco-era processor, a screen taken from an old 1980s Casio watch and a pool of RAM that was too small to run a thermostat.  Hyperbole aside, I seriously think that the person who designed this phone was stuck on turn of the century tech.  From a cost standpoint I know that they could of definitely doubled the RAM and still offered it free, and that double RAM would of actually made it a halfway decent phone.  I guess they don't really want that.  They want you to buy $200 phones that also suck.)

Oh and one more excuse I hear a lot that I don't want to hear here... "It's your phone, go trade it in for another one!".  No.  It's not.  I already tried that with my first phone and it didn't help at all.  I then also lost my phone on "The Magnum" at Cedar Point (voted the greatest amusement park in the world for 14 years running) on 7/8, and got a replacement.  So I've had 3 of these phones so far, and they've all done the same crap.  

So to sum my VERY ANGRY rambling up briefly...

-Sprint/HTC, get this fixed as soon as you can, preferably yesterday

-Don't respond to this thread unless you have something to complain about or you have a GOOD suggestion (though like I've already said, at this point we know it's the phone's problem, so even the best suggestion is still just a temp workaround)

-DEFINITELY don't respond to this if you're just gonna spout the same old blowoff excuse of "it's the tower" or "it's your phone".  It's not.  As much as I hear the "it's the tower" excuse, it would seem to me that Sprint must not have a single working tower on the globe, and whenever they do fix them, there must be Gremlins that immediately destroy them again. 

Wait, oh my science, that's it... Gremlins... I didn't even stop to think about that.  I've allowed my phone to consume data after midnight plenty, it's quite often in bright light, and it did get wet once.  OK, sorry to bother you all, I guess I figured out the problem.  OK so all you EVO 4G LTE owners, all you should have to do to fix your problem is do a hard reset, and after that NEVER put your phone in bright light, get it wet or use data services after midnight.  Should be easy enough....

Shake My Head................

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: Let's hear some more noise for all the EVO 4G LTE problems that STILL go unfixed!!!

I had the WiFi and 3g connection issues too. even after the update. I was reading these forums last night and found an answer to the connection issue. go to settings, mobile network, then make sure that domestic voice is unchecked. for some reason I have not disconnected since then. I went back and turned domestic voice back on and have still not lost my WiFi or 3g connection. I have no idea why this works but it did for me. good luck!

Journeyman

Re: Let's hear some more noise for all the EVO 4G LTE problems that STILL go unfixed!!!

i too live in columbus ohio & have the same crappy service. i have made noise about it & still get nowhere. .sprint DOES NOT CARE that this effing phone do not work properly, i spent nearly an hour going back & forth esclating to managers at the sprint store, (actually yelling & clearly being irate) in easton & they had the nerve to tell me the phone has no known issues & works just fine, part of me was so heated i wanted to spit on the guy(assistant manager) after that comment, so to control myself i just walked out the store, however i'm still having the same issues..

1)roaming

2)terrible internet connection to no connection at all

3)not receiving phone/text messages unitl your in certain areas(literally if you have messages they all start coming in at the same time

4)dropped calls

5)unable to send text messages

everyone needs to just continue making these posts, because to my knowledge the only way to enjoy the phone as it was intended, you have to ROOT your phone, which is silly because then you are no longer getting any necessary updates the phone may need & this came directly from a best buy employee, plus i know someone who resulted to rooting their phone and have 0 issues. but i feel i pay sprint to provide me a service every month why should i go out my way to bypass that subpar ass service and have it rooted???? sprint in my  book is the WORST CELL PHONE CARRIER out here, just because they know it's an issue and REFUSE to rectify it, but wait, dont pay that bill & they blowing you up for payment or disrupting service. i honestly have had sprint for 14 years, same account & they have showed me no type of customer service with this wack ass phone, i am so tired of this phone !! oh & by the way when i was speaking with the easton store assistant manager he always told me we sign contracts that state regardless of any issues with the phone after the first 14days you are stuck with the phone. do not worry im continuing to escalate & hoping i will get to whoever the head honcho is over this area because im not stopping until i have some type of satisfaction with this phone, or they give me a new one! and when i say new one i mean OTHER THAN THIS 4G LTE.

Journeyman

Ditto every last problem you are having AMLister3Esq. And I am disgusted and enraged. I have been a Sprint/Nextel customer for about 15 years! I "upgraded" to this phone about a week ago from a Blackberry Curve. The Curve had better reception and no problems switching automatically from wifi + Sprint 3g network.

Have been reading countless posts in many different forums about the same thing. I was crossing my fingers for a fix bc when I am home, in my wifi range, the phone is lightning. When I leave my house, and am miles away, still connected to the house wifi....and then..must manually connect to the torturous 3g.

I am withing my 14 days of purchase from Best Buy, thinking the writing is on the wall and I need to swap this for something more reliable.

I feel you. I hear you all.

Master

New update released this morning, see if it fixes things. Update is about 171mb in size, so use a WiFi if you have it.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/97470?tstart=0

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Good to hear. I've been checking my phone every day to see if there's an update, but haven't done it yet today.  Will check that shortly.  Fingers crossed...  I'll definitely report how it goes...

Master

Has a new kernel and radios, also address more bluetooth and WiFi issues, not sure about hte multi tasking issue yet. But allot of the software issues weren't addressed from what I can tell.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat