Switched to a backup phone because:
Unable to use Google Voice with voice-to-text function not beig available in swype kbd, anymore. For those of use that are dependant on one handed use I'd consider this ommision a crime.
(Unable to select from the key board, I should be able to SELECT from the kbd. which mode I'l like to use, not have it one way or the other...... is what I mean here)
Unable to use Otterbox case with screen protector. Puts proximity sensor into hyper mode when placing a call. (Yes I purged cache)
Am I missing something here, or is it just the JB on HTC?
Added: The battery life is much improved now, but there's no justification for these ommisions and issues when being one handed!
Message was edited by: 0118buggypilot
Here is a cursory glance at *some* of my issues...I'm finding more all the time. Sorry they've not been really well edited.
- New voicemail system does not activate in my Jeep. When you pressed voicemail in the old system, the voicemails would automatically play across my Jeep's UConnect bluetooth system. Now there is only silence. This is VERY bad.
- If camera is activated, you cannot push bluetooth-to-talk button to initiate new call. You must power on, turn off camera, and retry
- Siri wannabe lady is very, very muted on bluetooth. When you bluetooth-to-talk, you can barely hear her say "speak now." I accidentally once was able to increase her volume, but I can't get it to do it again. Can't you increase bluetooth volume somewhere??
- battery seems to have a 50% lifetime
- can't turn off camera clicking
- background wallpaper won't scroll left to right
- When you hit the google mic button to send msg (or to do anything, for that matter), it takes a full 3-4 seconds before you can begin speaking. Response time used to be near instant.
- VERY frequently, when using the google mic search functions, I get a "Can't reach Google at the moment. Retry" error. I have a great connection. This did not happen in the past.
- Response time on hitting the Home button is VERY slow. Sometimes it only takes 1/2 second, but frequently it takes 2-3 seconds to get back to the home screen.
- Upon upgrading initially, it automatically switched on all G+ services and synched all of my hundreds and hundreds of contacts. TERRIBLE! It took awhile to understand the problem remove these contacts.
- With the hundreds of G+ contacts synched *after* the upgrade, EVO was unable to use voice recognition most of the time and recognize who I was trying to call. With so many contacts, it could not distinguish which contact I actually wanted.
- It's a laborios and annoying process to use voice recognition to initiate an SMS to someone. When I say "text Marsha Brady," it takes about three seconds to recognize the name, then displays the name...THEN...I have to press Edit Message (why?? I already told it I wanted to send a message). Then it momentarily displays a Google search of the contact (why????). Then after yet a few more seconds, the text dialog box appears and I have to press the microphone again to begin dictating the message. Can you say complicated?
- How annoying it is to have to long press the period button just to activate the microphone. The mic button is a primary feature...not a secondary one. It needs it's own button like it has always had. Make the spacebar smaller or something to give us an extra button if you must.
- The Keyboard arrow keys are turned off. You have to manually go turn them on AGAIN after the upgrade.
- Why is there a google search performed everytime I try to "call Marsha Brady" "text Marsha Brady" or "Navigate to "Mousie, Kentucky"??
- In the past, when using the navigation features, it popped up a series of choices to determine it understood your navigation request correctly. For example, if I said "Navigate to 1000 Old Fox Road", it might ask if I meant "1000 Old Folks Rd" or "1000 Old Fox Rd" or "1000 Old Fax Rd".....now it just pops up whatever it thinks you meant (in this case, "Old Folks Rd" instead of the correct "Old Fox Rd").
- 4X1 Contact widget it missing....I loved that. I don't want 4x4, 4x3, or 4x2...is 4x1 really too much to ask??
- Today, unlike yesterday, I can say "Call John Hall" and it will actually attempt to call him, albeit slowly. When making such a voice request, it first pops up his name, pause for like 20 seconds while a progress bar slowly moves and then, right before it actually auto-calls him, it shows Google web results of his name. Why must it take the time and resources (and privacy) to do a google search on my friend when I simply just want to initiate a voice conversation??
- Sometimes, when I hit the mic button, it sits there saying "Initializing" for 20+ seconds....and then again I get the error "Can't reach Google at the Moment. Retry." Unacceptable.
- Using the mic button, I want to get the phone number of a business. I say "China King, Miami, FL". In the past, this would get me their phone number. Now, it only displays a map and gives their address....and gives me a long google search. I just want some friggin' sweet & sour chicken delivered to my house. I don't care to see their Google history. Address is fine....discussion of them in a 2004 newspaper article has nothing to do with getting their phone number quickly.
- *If* you are searching for a business and want their phone number, you can do the above action and also click on their address. This will make the screen momentarily flash to the map (why??) and then to their information page where their phone number is visible...........BUT NOT HOT LINKED??
Looks like Google Now has won my battle for Google Voice voice to text function. (microphone switch no longer supported via current keyboard version)
We'll just have to wait I guess, until then I'm stuck with my Sammy phone.
Oh, happy Holidays Everyone!
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h414/comments I don't think it passed but I guess they just changed it just in case .The same way electric cars have to make a engine sound... LOL
That, my friend, is one of the sillest things I have ever seen. You'd think they'd be working on ways to reduce laws and give us more freedom rather than spend time weighing us down in bureaucracy lol.
I am also having problem with phone screen turning off or on inappropriately when making a call, like if i want to dial a number, the screen wont turn back on... i though it was my sensor. but it seems like i'm not the only one...
Have you tried the master reset to restore the phone to original yet? I was having same issues as you posted wifi, bluetooth, battery, screen turning off on a call and not coming back on till i hit power key plus a but load of others I backed up everything did a master reset and restored it all and the phone works great. Even my voice to text in the tet messages works now.battery is back better then ever even better then when i first got it 3 months ago. I know no one is a big fan of the JB update but it is so much better now that its working.
Low volume wih incoming calls, also having trouble with the screen blanking out and then not being able to get the screen to came back during a call or after
the call has ended... Get we get a fix for these ??????
The latest software update 3.15.651.16.710RD was loaded into my HTC EVO 4G/LTE phone over the past couple days. Already, I am finding significant issues.
- The screen goes blank whenever I make a call. This is not only annoying, it is _unacceptable_. I often make calls where I am using the dial-pad after placing the call to navigate into a phone menu system. The keypad disappears, so I cannot enter the digits. If I press the power button to enable the screen, the screen only stays for a couple of seconds, then again goes blank right in the middle of my number entry. If I am actively pressing numbers on the screen, then the screen should not go blank!!! This was not an issue with the previous software. This must be fixed promptly.
- The screen goes blank whenever I listen to a message in visual voice mail. There is still the status bar at the top of screen, but the playback buttons are invisible, and no touch activity is allowed until the message finishes playing. Again, this is unacceptable. What is the point of visual voice mail, if I cannot access the buttons to control playback??
- My background image used to shift when I would page between the home screens. I specifically chose an image that I wanted as a background so that shifting would not obscure details of the image with icons. I was completely happy with that operation. Now, the image is static, and I cannot see all of the image. I want this back to they way it previously worked.
- This new software has new touch sensitivity features. I am finding it less responsive, and now have to tap slower, and tap again just to get something to work.
- WiFi connectivity now takes a bit longer to connect, and it sometimes fails to connect to networks that I have previously had no trouble getting access to. The onnection is lost at ramdom times. Nothing should have changed here.
- Whenever I plug into USB just to convenience charge, it wants to connect to the PC and synchronize. I prefer the dialog that came up with the previous software. I don't always want to synchronize, sometimes I just want to charge. Now, I have to eject the phone before I remove it. This is inconvenient, and not per my intentions. Please bring back the dialog for those users who wish to use it that way.
- Some time ago, a software update removed the call duration from the call history. I don't want to buy (or download) an app to track call history. It should be built into the phone. Why was this feature removed?? The data is useful to me, and I should at least have the option of showing or hiding that information.
The phone hardware is excellent. I have had only a few issues with this device since I purchased it about 1 year ago. But, now I am feeling like this software update has made the device nearly useless. Updates should show progress, not go back in time. I am about ready to take this device back to the store and demand a new unit. I may be forced to look at an Apple product if these issues cannot be resolved.