cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mic stopped working or sounds far away on HTC EVO 4G LTE, no one can hear me

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mic stopped working or sounds far away on HTC EVO 4G LTE, no one can hear me

Has anyone else had this issue and can anyone lend me a hand or give me info as to what can be done?  It started about a month ago and everyone told me I was sounding really far away.  I kept thinking it was network issues and maybe they were updating in my are (cleveland heights, oh). Then, I eventually realized if I put on speakerphone they could hear me just fine, but without speakerphone and talking into the handset they couldn't hear me.  I then this week found that it started being difficult for them to hear me on speaker.  And now, I can't be heard at all on speaker or talking directly into the handset.  At first I thought it was network issues, then maybe hardware with the mic. But then, after I found out that while talking into the handset didn't work, but speakerphone was perfectly clear (and they use the same mic) i thought it had to be a software/firmware issue (even though now speaker doesn't work either).  Even now, if I use voice recorder, its not static, it's just dead air and if I yell as loud as I can into it, I still can faintly hear my yell, just barely audible.

I know I'm not covering either the top or the bottom mic holes
I've tried the diagnostics and gone through the steps, that's no help because it just asks you to talk at certain times and see if you can play it back.  I can't, because it doesn't pick up anything I'm saying.

I've tried voice recorder and other apps and they don't work anymore.

I've done a factory reset to cut clear the memory/ram in case it was too full and slowing it down (and lost my contacts in the process).

I can't call and talk to anyone to help on the website since it's my only phone and the Chat Icon hasn't been there on the sprint website, so I can't talk to a representative there.

I lost my phone/had it stolen once, and even with the insurance, I had to pay $150 to get it replaced...I pay the insurance monthly, but can't afford to pay $150 for another one because the phone is defective.

6 REPLIES 6
Wizard

Re: Mic stopped working or sounds far away on HTC EVO 4G LTE, no one can hear me

Ryfor,

Thank you for reporting this. It sounds like you tried everything possible and i apologize for the frustration of it still not working properly. My recommendation at this point is to bring it into a Sprint repair center. There are many variables that may involved here and store technicians are the experts at resolving device issues. There's a good chance it may be fixed without requiring a replacement. You'll be able to find a repair center here: www.Sprint.com/storelocator.

Thank you,

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Re: Mic stopped working or sounds far away on HTC EVO 4G LTE, no one can hear me

My HTC Evo 4g LTE has been experiencing the same exact problems (No one can hear me, Voice to Text, and Voice Apps not working).  I took my phone in for repair to a Sprint Service Center on three separate occasions within in a two week period.  The first time, they replaced the microphone.  Two days later I was returned with the same exact problem, this time they told me the phone had two microphones so they replaced them both.  Once again, two days later I started having the same problem where no one could me hear me and none of my voice apps worked.  I took it back again and this time I was told that the electrical contacts for the microphone were corroded and all it needed was a cleaning.  This actually worked for about a week and then it was back to square one.  On the forth visit to the service center, they just replaced my phone with another HTC Evo 4g.  The new one arrived within a couple of days and things seemed to working out for a while.  However, after using the phone everyday for about two months I received a message from Sprint telling me my phone needed a system update.  I installed it this past Sunday and now my phone is having the same exact issue, no one can hear me.  I took it back to the same service center and they told me that I was the fourth person that day to bring in a HTC with the same problem.  The technicians could not fix it nor could they reload the old software.  I was told that they would have to replace the phone for a third time.  I asked for a different model since the HTC Evo seemed problematic.  I was told that my insurance would only replace the phone with the same exact model and if I wanted a different one I would have to pay for it.  I am not due for an upgrade till August of next year so I will have to pay full price ($500 to $600) for something equivalent to what I already own.  This is just ridiculous.  I just got a flyer in the mail from Verizon saying I can upgrade when ever I want.  If this is not resolved soon, I might consider changing providers even after being with Sprint for almost 10 years.

Journeyman

I also have the same problem with my microphone not working when I try to talk on speaker phone no one can hear me but I hear them fine.I used the speaker phone function with every call cause it was so much easier to talk to someone and have my hands free from holding it to my ear. It hasnt worked now for about 7 moths and Im not sure what to do about it. I have just learned to live without it even though it was a feature I liked about the phone.

Master

nycell210,

7 months is a long time to be without speakerphone! Have you tried taking your phone into a service and repair center?

Toya

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

I am also experiencing the same problem.  Coincidentally, MY problem started within 2 days after I received a Sprint email giving me a "Last Chance to get a warranty on your HTC phone."  If I talk normally the microphone picks nothing up. If I talk into the bottom of the phone where the little hole is drilled through the silver aluminum framing it picks up about 3/4 of what I say.  (I do practically have to yell.)

Very very curious that the microphone crapped out in less than two years and nearly on the day I receive an email offering a last chance warranty.  It's bad enough I've dealt with crappy 3G and 4G connectivity.  Now this.  For the record, 4G is still crappy and I didn't have ANY 4G for the first year of my contract.  I feel I was falsely advertised to both through the premium data system and the name of the phone.

(If I have to take this for repair and pay for such a repair after being scammed for my first year of service I'll probably jump ship to another service provider. Sprint still hasn't lived up to it's promises, hell I can't even get data inside the building at work but all my co-workers can.  EVEN THE DAMN T-MOBILE PEOPLE!)

Master

nichols_lax

We definitely don't want to lose you as a valuable customer. It's recommended to visit one of our repair centers to have a diagnostic ran on your device to see if there is an issue with the microphone. You can find the nearest one by visiting sprint.com/storelocator. Let us know how it goes.

Leo
Sprint Social Care Team
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat