cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nice Job Sprint, Cripple the new HTC Evo 4G LTE by NOT Making the BATTERY Removable

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nice Job Sprint, Cripple the new HTC Evo 4G LTE by NOT Making the BATTERY Removable

Sometimes I wonder how number 3 Sprint plans on leading the pack. Why would Sprint cripple the new HTC Evo 4g by not making the battery swapple? Must HTC follow the same path as Apple? One of the best features on NON-Apple phones is the ability for end users to put in a new battery when they run out of juice.

You can't ever be number 1 if all you do is follow trends started by Apple.

Very dissappointing.

111 REPLIES 111
Highlighted
Journeyman

Cloves,

[...]

I am not a fanboy, like I said I am waiting to see the Sprint variant of the S3, which will of course have a removable battery because Sprint put it in their required specs!  NOT!

I participated in this thread because of your flawed [..] premise for starting the thread.  [...]

[...] Go yell at HTC.

Please [...] why the AT&T and T Mobile variants don't have removable batteries either.

Message was edited by: mapesy

Highlighted
Wizard

Please read the forum rules. Name calling and trying to pick a fight will not be tolerated. If you persist you will warned by the Mods and if you still continue to violate forum rules you will be banned.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just wanted to say to both Cloves2012 and luvmyevo, that, to me at least, it seems the two of you have chosen to argue with each other over a point that you actually agree upon. You both would like the new EVO to have a removable, replaceable battery, or at least one with more power, right?? Instead of arguing about whose fault it is for this perceived problem, whether it is the design of HTC, or the specs of Sprint, why don't you band together and try to get both companies to make the changes, which you the consumer would to see. Stop calling each other names and channel that energy in the proper direction. It is beyond me how you could let this simple discussion degrade into the insults and name-calling as you have. My advice, if you don't want a phone that you cannot change the battery on, find one that you can. Then buy it instead. Companies will get THAT picture in a hurry.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks Joe, unfortunately it is too late for design changes since the phone is shipping.  As for how this conversation degraded to what it is, look only to Cloves response to my first post and the post of another person informing him[...] the Evo LTE was directed at the wrong company.

Highlighted
Journeyman

[...]

[...]

[...]HTC support is great and I have been dealing with them [...]. I stated my opinion on the phone and my thoughts on the battery. [...]You obviously know nothing about the development cycle of a cell phone. Sprint plays a major roll in what HTC manufactures in the hardware not just the software. [...] I'll bet in your mind Sprint doesn't stuff the phones with bloatware either. Sprint can do no wrong.

[...]

The new HTC EVO 4G LTE, is CRIPPLED because its battery is not removable. Now, that we have moved beyond that, what can we do (those who agree) about it?

HTC has a history of standing by the end user. Sprint not so much. If we petition HTC to make future EVO's have a swappable battery, they may listen. Case in point,  the boot unlocker tools they put up for developers and flashers, the community speaks and they tend to listen.

HTC has nothing to gain from making the battery non removable. Repairs for HTC phones are handled by a third company. Sprint on the other hand has much to gain from making the battery non removable. Either you get that part or you don't. 

Message was edited by: mapesy who removed inflammatory/trollish remarks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The battery in this phone is so awesome! Good job HTC!

Highlighted
Journeyman

the one major thing apple fans hate about the iphone is that they lock the battery in.  and there's a good reason for that.  glad you like it though militray10.  you're stuck with it.

Highlighted
Wizard

As an iPhone user, no, the non-removable battery is not an issue for us; at all. And I speak for many, many of my fellow iPhone users. Only on forums and the web do I rarely hear complaints; usually from non-users.

And it will not be an issue for you Evo users either.  If you think it is, or will be, then manage your device better; optimize/minimize your background processes; buy a battery case or external supply.

Just like removeable SD storage isn't an issue for most everyone, same deal for the battery.

Isn't it great, you'll never be told to "pull the battery" to fix an unknown problem!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Oh Cloves,

[...]

[...] I created that handle in 2010, when I first got my OG Evo 4G.  If either of us is a fanboy, it is you, since you have owned 4 HTC phones.  It seems that you are [...] blind as to who is responsible for the design decisions surrounding the fixed battery in the new Evo 4G LTE.  You seem to have a man crush on HTC and like to get angry at Sprint, so of course, you distort reality and blame Sprint for not putting a removable battery in the new HTC phones.  I guess Sprint is responsible for the unremovable batteries in AT&T's One X and T Mobile's One S as well.

[...]

[...]

What will you say when the Sprint S3 variant has a removable battery?  How will that fall into your construct of Sprint screwing the customers so they can add a new revenue stream replacing batteries?  I doubt very much you will be around to address that.

Please cite your credentials as they relate to cell phone development?  I think it consists of an email (if it exists) from an HTC support technician [...]  I am sure Sprint does have input into the phone, but that only goes so far, they are restricted to what HTC can deliver and their input is most certainly centererd around styling and bloatware.  That is why you get VARIANTS among the different carriers, but they all have pretty much the same hardware specs.

What can you do about the new EVO LTE not having a removable battery?

[...]

2.  You can buy a Zagg battery charger

3.  You could buy a different phone

4.  Stick with your current Evo with a removable battery

[...]

[...]

Oh yes, I "get" the calculation you believe Sprint made by making HTC put in a unremovable battery, not only for the new EVO but also for the AT&T and T Mobile variants.  They are counting on a huge revenue stream from replacing batteries 2-3 years from now on phones that will be obsolete and discarded for the latest and greatest phones when their contract is up for renewal 2 years from now.  [...]

It's been a pleasure.

P.S.  I wish it had a removable battery as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

it isnt an issue until it's an issue.  glad you and your many friends haven't had problems.  but many have.  and they have to send the phone in. it's much easier if you can just remove the battery if you have to. 

argue back if you want.  the point is moot.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I never had an issue at all with the battery or phone locking up with my EVO 4G, so I didn't think this could be an issue. Until I recently installed a new app, that's caused me to have to pull the battery to unlock the phone. Twice in one week...after never an issue for more than 2 years. I'm optimistic...but I can definitely see why some folks are concerned.

Highlighted
Journeyman

exactly the point kinolau.  that's why people don't like phones with locked batteries. things happen.  you can't just hope something won't.  people want to know that "IF" something happens..they can deal with it the easiest way possible. sometimes that calls for pulling out the battery. bad move htc evo.  bad move.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat