cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 4G capability and no current LTE. Why buy it?

Journeyman

No 4G capability and no current LTE. Why buy it?

I'm just curious as to why people want this phone enough to preorder?  Is it because you like the screen or hardware specs to it?  Software? It just seems kind of dumb to preorder a Sprint 3G phone especially with the current issues Sprint has with their 3G network.  Because until you get LTE in your area then all this phone is will be 3G capable because it only supports 3G and LTE right?  No wimax support. 

Looks like we will have another long thread like with the iphone owners talking about how data is to slow to be usable on the device.

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Journeyman

Exactly why buy this?

I have an EVO 4G now and while it has been serviceable overall Sprint's data just plain sucks. 

When I can get WiMax its speeds are usually the same as AT&T or TMoble's faux 4G (aka fast 3G). 

When I am on 3G the speeds are unbearable slow. I just did 5 consecutive speedtests on 3G and never was able to break 200kbps (that is 1/5 of a megabit, pathetic).

Until LTE us up and running, confirmed to have good coverage, good speeds, and good structure penetration I wont be upgrading squat on my account.

For everyone that thinks having this new phone will be nice and you can live without LTE go take a look at all the thousands of complaint threads spread throught this forum. Anyone stuck on 3G is unhappy and pissed at Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have an original EVO 4G, I run 3G all the time, and when I hit a larger city during any traveling I can use 4G.  I have no issues with my 3G service, it works fine for me, and has for the past 2 years. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Agreed. This phone is definitely hot. BUT.... I don't see the point in getting it right now. There is no LTE network yet. I have an Epic 4G Touch and I get a great 4G signal. Give this up for a 3G phone? I don't think so. Doesn't seem smart to me. I don't even think trading in your OG EVO is an option unless you don't get 4G to begin with. Then by all means go for it do it now! But if you do have a 4G WIMAX signal, I can't see the logic and getting a phone that is slower. When LTE is up and running in my area, I'll consider an LTE phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I completely understand your view, if I had a 4G signal where I'm at, then I would look at other options.  I'm going to be running the same basic 3G speed with either phone, but at least the LTE will look better then my OG EVO .. haha

Highlighted
GrandMaster

alk1122 wrote:

I'm just curious as to why people want this phone enough to preorder?  Is it because you like the screen or hardware specs to it?  Software? It just seems kind of dumb to preorder a Sprint 3G phone especially with the current issues Sprint has with their 3G network.  Because until you get LTE in your area then all this phone is will be 3G capable because it only supports 3G and LTE right?  No wimax support. 

Looks like we will have another long thread like with the iphone owners talking about how data is to slow to be usable on the device.

if you currently have 4G in your area or travel often to areas that have 4G then i would hold off..if not then at least you'll be upgrading to a phone that CAN use the new LTE once its fully released to all areas. the majority of it is supposed to be released by 2013. no rumors on when it will be FULLY released to all areas yet though. i dont have 4G in my area and i rarley use it while im in a city that does have it...so i'll be upgrading to one of the newer LTE ready phones once i figure out which im going with...so far its the evo..but i'll wait until i see how its holding up first.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Wizard

this device on its own sans 4g is a major upgrade over the EVO line. it has many features (NFC, latest ICS and sense 4, etc) that are delicious. the HD media device which allos one to mirror the phones screen and allows transmits of files (movies, music, etc) wirelessly to a display is also wonderful.

the original evo was launched with minimal wimax coverage and yet it was sprints best selling device at that time.

this phone is worth getting now rather than later. my opinion i know but just my thoughts...

Highlighted
Journeyman

ditto.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm getting it because my current phone is an ancient HTC touch pro 2 w/ windows mobile which is horrible .Terrible camera, even worse OS, freezes frequently.  I'm getting the EVO LTE just for the phone hardware. I'm well aware I won't see LTE speeds until sometime in 2013.

This phone will be on WIiFi 90% of the time anyway.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey Allk1122,yes you are correct. If LTE wont be up and running in your market it doesn't make sense.That is if all you want is to start using LTE and if that is the case Verizon has LTE up already.But if you want the hottest spec'd phone on the truly unlimited planned carrier,that is working deligently on getting LTE up an running.Bigger market areas will have it sooner and you have the money.Then pre order it now.Cause it's a sweet a$$ phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the original EVO 4G and got it the day it came out. I LOVE my phone and havent had any problems. However this phone only came out with 512mb of internal memory. Ive only loaded a few apps but constantly get the low space warning. Its a pain to constantly have to "clean" them out. The new LTE has 16GB of internal memory. Android market was relatively small 2 years ago so didnt really matter at the time. Of course with technology we all understand how much the android market has grown and how obsolete 512mb is. Not all apps are transferable to the sd card. 4g is available in my area. I turned it off to see how much of a difference it would be from 3g before I preordered. Cant tell the difference. Also, Sprint is buying back my EVO for $70. That price will go down with time. I think its worth the switch now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

lots of people ordering this phone lots of different reasons why. I am looking for a hardware upgrade from my evo shift which is having issues. Its a good time for anyone who wants a hardware upgrade regardless if your going to get lte, except in cases were you get reliable wimax service. Buy the new phone now and upgrade your hardware and waiting for lte is good for me and alot of other people. I can enjoy a better phone and be happy with the lte when it comes my way, or keep using a old phone which is lacking in a lot of ways and wait.

Its a smart choice for me upgrade now, and I will be happy until my next upgrade.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat