cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 4G capability and no current LTE. Why buy it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

No 4G capability and no current LTE. Why buy it?

I'm just curious as to why people want this phone enough to preorder?  Is it because you like the screen or hardware specs to it?  Software? It just seems kind of dumb to preorder a Sprint 3G phone especially with the current issues Sprint has with their 3G network.  Because until you get LTE in your area then all this phone is will be 3G capable because it only supports 3G and LTE right?  No wimax support. 

Looks like we will have another long thread like with the iphone owners talking about how data is to slow to be usable on the device.

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Journeyman

I feel it's definitely time to upgrade from my old EVO 4G. Like some have said for me it's mainly a hardware and software upgrade , I also like the camera which looks impressive from what I've seen so far. My city is in the second rollout for LTE and if all goes according to plan I should have it soon so I'm not particularly worried about that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the original Evo 4g, and I have 4G coverage. I think I have turned 4g on MAYBE 20 times since the phone came out. The battery drain of 4G is just not worth it. Surfing the interwebz is pretty damn fast. 3G is more than enough for me.... LTE will just be a nice perk that I really don't care about. I just download my large games via wifi and/or data transfer.

I am getting this phone for it's hardware and it is time for me to get a new phone. I refuse to leave Sprint, I will not go to a limited data plan. Sprint is the cheapest of the big companies, and I get just as good of service as anyone else.

Highlighted
Journeyman

There are plenty of reasons to buy this phone.  Twice the processing power of the original EVO, twice the screen resolution, twice the RAM, huge battery (which should make those 4G drainage woes a thing of the past), not to mention 4G is handled on the processor which will save battery life even more.  Much thinner.  Beats Audio.  None of the things I've mentioned have anything to do with LTE service but are all valid reasons for upgrading, especially if you are a technology who-re like myself.  Also, I'm in the first round of the LTE rollout, so according to Sprint (which of course isn't saying much these days) I should be in business this summer.  That said I'm not buying this phone just yet... 

Because I'm not an early adopter of any electronic equipment.  I'll wait a month or two to see what the reviews say about the device, as well as how the reviews of the Galaxy S3 pan out.  Find out what people dislike about these phones and decide if that will affect me in any way.  There are plenty of great reasons to get the phone though.

Journeyman

Ya, I was going to wait for S3 reviews as well. However, I was one of the unlucky few that stopped recieving texts on the 24th because of some over the air update that messed up some of the rooted Evo 4G's. So... I preordered. Probably some conspiracy!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I preordered and I can't wait to get my new Evo 4G LTE. Why? I guess a lot of people say that Sprint's 3G network is slow... well I'm dieing to UPGRADE to Sprint 3G lol, because I'm currently (for one more week) a T-Mo subscriber and I'm paying a small ETF just to get off this sorry excuse of an EDGE data connection that I've dealt with over the past 5 years when all I hear is 4G this and 4G that. The big 2 have 4G LTE and 4G HSPA+ respectively and Sprint offers 3G (but with cheaper rate plans and unlimited data of course) in my area and magenta can only tell me "I don't see any plans on upgrading data speeds in your area..." I'll gladly take 200 kbs right now because at work I've had plenty speedtest results of 4 - 10 kbs...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Correction: Att does not have 4g. They have 3g HSPA+ that they are trying to pass off as 4g.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had my EVO 4G for a little over 2 years now, and I don't ever turn the 4G on unless I can't pick up a 3G signal or WiFi. 4G is really no big deal at all, though I was kinda perturbed that I was paying for something that I didn't even have in my area in the beginning (Wait!...that's what I'll be doing again). The only people that really care about 4G...are the ones that don't or have never had it. Actually...if you think about it...if the 4G market is so phenomonal...then why are so many manufacturers and carriers going to LTE???

Personally...I'm picking up the 4G LTE out of the chute, because I don't have the money to get into another laptop right now, and find I'm more content to be able to do what I want and where with a very capable smartphone. I'm just glad that I waited two more days and saw the new HTC for Sprint, because I was ready to pull the trigger on the Epic Touch when my contract ran out on the first. Wait...that never would have happened in reality, now that I know that Sprint doesn't let you put the phone costs on your bill anymore...because I wouldn't have laid out the cash. But I've had absolutely no problems with my EVO 4G...and I'm excited to get into another HTC phone based on that experience. There will always be a bigger, better, faster phone...and I unfortunately will continue to deal with buyers remorse everytime it happens...lol 

LATE EDIT: Looks like I've got coverage in the Boston & Providence area already  

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat