cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No mic in text to speech to reply to Gmail emails? No mic in keyboards? Can anyone tell me if there is setting to get it back in gmail? Jelly Bean

Journeyman

No mic in text to speech to reply to Gmail emails? No mic in keyboards? Can anyone tell me if there is setting to get it back in gmail? Jelly Bean

Okay, so this is weird, I first noticed that the mic was missing in Swype as soon as I got the Jelly Bean update, so I started using the stock HTC swype type keyboard because it still had the mic.  Well today that dissappeared as well!!!   And the mic that has always shown in the gmail app at the top by the reply button is missing now too???  AND when I swipe down on the keyboard icon at the top of the screen to switch input methods there is no Googe voice typing option at all.  When I go to settings and language/keyboard.  The google voice typing is grayed out and underneath is grayed out automatic, so it is not pickable (is that a word, ha).   I've done the hard reset.  Is there a setting any of you have come across that I should look at again?  It is really weird the HTC keyboard had it all day yesterday and this morning, then suddenly now it's missing.   Being someone who uses the mic 50% or as much as I can this is a horrible update to me.   I don't see any improvement except the cool Google Now, my phone is not any faster, it lags when it wakes up, etc....   Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: No mic in text to speech to reply to Gmail emails? No mic in keyboards? Can anyone tell me if there is setting to get it back in gmail? Jelly Bean

That does suck. I know I would be lost without my speech to text. I want to look into this for you.

So I can point myself in the right direction, which device do you have?

- *Kitty

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Re: No mic in text to speech to reply to Gmail emails? No mic in keyboards? Can anyone tell me if there is setting to get it back in gmail? Jelly Bean

Okay, well I still see that it is  Gone from the reply from in the gmail email app, but for right this minute,  it returned on the HTC keyboard when I turned that power saver mode off.   So no power save mode from me, haa.   I can't for the life of me figure out why google took it off their reply in gmail, or for compose either for that matter.    I hope they update that back.  I always think updates are going to add more features and options not just take some away.

Journeyman

I have the HTC EVO LTE, thanks!  

Wizard

Thanks. Give me a few minutes and I will get back to you.

- *Kitty

Sprint Social Care

Master

The Mic icon should be on the Period key of the HTC Sense Input KB. It appears it was removed from the Swype keyboard. I have the Swype beta installed on mine which still has the voice icon.

Another user mentioned they didn't see the icon on the HTC KB, but when they got back a reply, it all of a sudden showed up. Not sure what that was about.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Wizard

Thank you Smotrs. That is a great suggestion.

Diamond, let me know if that helps. I am still looking for a resolution if it doesn't.

- *Kitty

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

It is missing in GMAIL and texting as well. I used to love this feature as texting wasn't always a best option while in car waiting for the light to turn green. I needed my eyes forward while talking, not texting. I swtiched to google search now sending texts, but would love to have it back in the actuall programs, as gmail and texting once did. however voice recognition did get better, but that option was removed from swype. Hopefully we dont have to wait to long. I was so amped for the Evo 4G LTE update, but my battery life has gotten worse and lost this feature. Im sure the battery has to do with incompatible apps for non optimized jellybean phones. Just sucks so much life now Im sure more updates are to come, i didnt expect this release to be perfect. However the voice to text on swype....that is a big miss

Journeyman

Please see my post above where I mention the HTC keyboard.  If you have the power saver turned on there is no mic in HTC keyboard either.  If you turn the power saver off the mic returns.  So as I said, no power saver mode for me, LOL.   And Swype has removed the Mic totally with the update (swype says at Sprint's request?, per swype forum).   And gmail mail app the Mic has also been taken away.  But again, with the power save OFF you can go through the hassel of going up to switch to google voice typing, but if that power save is on you will have no Google Voice typing as a choice, only the Swype or HTC keyboards.

I'm using the Beta version of Swiftkey Flow with a mic, but it's very limited in what place you can swipe your typing (cannot use in any Google app from Playstore, search, etc) but you can use it in text messaging and gmail responses etc, so I do have a Mic in gmail since I've found a temp way around it.  Touchpal also has a Mic, but it's horrible to me to use.  

Journeyman

Kitty, please keep looking to see if gmail is going to get the Mic back.  I doubt Swype will, they never update, just want you to download their beta.    Having to keep off the power saver and also having to download beta's for solutions, should not be the solution to a top of the line Sprint phone with Jelly Bean, should it?  I don't understand why this day and age they would restrict/take away all the Mics.

Journeyman

Kitty, When will you be responding to this question? Not having mic in speech to text replies in Gmail is absurd ! This Jelly Bean update should not take features away from my EVO just because I have the power saver on. According to Swpe's forum, they microphone speech to text has be removed at Sprint requests. Why would Sprint make such a ridiculous request when texting and driving is against the law in most states ? The speech to text feature is more important now than it has ever been. I don't understand why Sprint would make their customers choose between Swype or speech to text?  We should have both.  Will we be getting another update to fix these bugs? If so, when? Has anybody else used Swiftkey Flow with success besides diamondSranch?  I can't believe we are reduced to downloading outside swype type applications because Sprint requested the microphone speech to text feature be removed from Swype.  Maybe I should be looking for a new phone carrier instead of posting questions in this forum? So frustrating!

Master

Keep in mind, if the Mic was part of Gmail, then you have to ask Google what happened to it.

Swype is another story. The version installed is WAY different from what Swype is actually publishing.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat