cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No mic in text to speech to reply to Gmail emails? No mic in keyboards? Can anyone tell me if there is setting to get it back in gmail? Jelly Bean

Journeyman

Re: No mic in text to speech to reply to Gmail emails? No mic in keyboards? Can anyone tell me if there is setting to get it back in gmail? Jelly Bean

After looking around at some other forums, I found a tolerable solution through the HTC Sense keyboard.  The mic icon is only available by enabling Google Search, and adding the Google Search widget to one of your home screens.  I have an EVO 4G LTE, and this worked for me:

1. Enable Google Search - Settings > Apps > All > Google Search > Enable

2. Ensure the Google Search widget is present on at least one home screen

3. Open any text input app (Gmail, Text, Etc.)

4. Choose Input Method > HTC Sense Input

***With Google Search enabled and the widget active on a home screen, the Google voice typing option also becomes available again

Screenshot_2012-12-26-22-30-22.png

From what I could gather, it's a Google thing.  They've integrated the voice search with the Google Search app such that disabling the app and/or removing the search widget from your home screens also disables the voice-to-text functions.

I should also mention this works regardless of whether you have the Power Saver on or off.

Maybe someone will find this useful. 

-James

Journeyman

Re: No mic in text to speech to reply to Gmail emails? No mic in keyboards? Can anyone tell me if there is setting to get it back in gmail? Jelly Bean

A big fat microphone thank you James.

Thanks for the your time posting this workaround.  As a one handed user I find it better than nothing but the HTC Sense swiping does not compare to "Swyping" the real thing!

Happy New Year Every One!

-Rod

Journeyman

No problem Rod.  Glad you found it helpful.  After posting the work around, I've decided to go back to the Swype keyboard and just use the Google voice typing option when I need voice-to-text.  I've found the Sense keyboard swype just too laggy for my taste.  It works fine, but it is considerably slower than the actual Swype keyboard. 

-James

Journeyman

I had this issue and this helped immensely.  I did some experimentation with this and have a simpler procedure that I wish to share.  Before I go on I want to say that before I noticed this issue I had a service crash (sorry, I didn't catch the name of it other than it was one of the Google services).  The missing microphone on the keyboard seems to be the result of software failure.  As long as Google search is enabled, i.e. settings-->apps-->all-->Google search-->enable then just simply restart your phone.  No need to add any widgets to your home screen or anything like that.

Journeyman

Took all of the above and here is how I got my microphone back WITH swype option working too.

Went to Market and downloaded the Google Search update

Opened Handscent (my text messenger of preference, also available at the market)

touched in the text box  --> see mini keyboard in the upper left of your screen  --> Drag that down and select "HTC Sense Input"

If you don't have your swype any longer.  Go to Settings --> Language & Keyboard --> HTC Sense Input  -->  Enable "Trace keyboard"

You should now have your mic (hold for 2 secs to activate) and the swype ability.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat