I had no idea the damage this update would do to my phone. Everything seems to be moving in slow motion. It reached into google and resynched all of my G+ contacts (now I have hundreds and hundreds of contacts in my list). Everytime I try to use bluetooth to call a friend, it no longer understands me and the flaky Siri wannabe tries to call some stranger from G+. The volume of the Siri wannabe is at about 10% (can't seem to find a way to increase the volume so you can actually hear the flaky bot). I click the mic on the google search bar and it tells me it can't reach Google (after sitting there for like a minute). It deleted contact widgets from my screens and duplicated already used widgets onto other screens.
The worst part, though, is the speed. I was used to my EVO being fast.... and now it's like an old 1999 computer trying to run Windows 8. No....the worst part is when I say "Call Bill Smith" and it replies "Calling Sam Fredricks," "Calling Joe Montana," "Calling Susie Cue," "Calling Ozzie Osborne." This leaves me in a frantic rush to stop the call.
Can I just go back to pre-update???
Message was edited by: zx10
Edit: Most of these problems are present during bluetooth operation. Without bluetooth activated, there's a whole host of other issues. 30 min into this update and I'm still finding bugs -- too many to list.
Have you tried to power cycle the device by holding down the power button for 10 seconds turning the phone off waiting one minute and restarting
I feel your pain. zx10 I just posted some of the same issues. WARNING TO OTHER P I S S E D OFF HTC EVO LTE 4G LTE USERS DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR PHONE!!! The new jellybean upgrade is killing my phone. Save yourself the headache!
When trying to attach a file to the discussion only shows four options. Camera, camcorder, voice message, and music track. So I guess I never would want to attach a picture out of my gallery. This sucks the more I use this tied of a phone the more bull I find wrong with it after the jellybean upgrade.
Yep, rebooting was the first thing I attempted. In fact, I reboot several times to no avail.
Secondly, its interesting that I have to use this forum on my pc as my phone can't see the reply dialog box on my EVO browser lol
My suggestion, clean out the additional contacts, make sure everything is correctly synced to Google and then perform a Hard Reset. Allot of things are cured by performing a HR after an update.
I did. I cleaned out hundreds of G+ contacts and dozens of previously deleted contacts (how did they come back again??) and removed the defaulted Sync with G+ (really wish Google would quit trying to trick us into using G+...that's Bing's tactic). Finally, I'm down to my normal contacts. It only took an hour or so to repair the damage.
Now voice dial via bluetooth will dial most of my calls correctly because there aren't hundreds of possible matches for every name I utter. Oddly, though, there's a name that is refuses to recognize. I even deleted the name and added it in again -- and it's a simple name (John Hall). When I say "Call John Hall" is simply writes "recognizing" and then goes back to the home screen without doing anything at all.
I assume doing a hard reset is no more than pressing the power butter a few seconds and telling it to power off? That's what I've done.
More annoyances and funny bugs I found, btw...
- When you hit gallery, instead of going directly to your local gallery, you're now greeted with the option of going to facebook, dropbox, flickr, picasa, skydrive, and My Phone.... Grrr....so much for reducing button presses.
- New gallery default is to display by "events" which. It's funny because my photos seem to be sorted by shoot location. Apparently today I took photos in Shanghai, Bosnia, Shenyang, New York City, Suzhou, Sgujazhuang, and Nebraska. How did it get this GPS information?? lol.
- Looking back to previous photos, I see that I am just as well travelled in the past. Last week, according to EVO's new gallery, I was in a dozen different places. Such locations were not written in my EXIF info, so I don't know where EVO is getting this silly information. I manually changed the sorting back to the more sensible Album.
- Now, conducting a google search isn't very fast. It takes a moment or so to pop up the google screen.
- Keyboard layout is changed and my settings which displayed arrow keys were removed. It took me awhile to realize I could manually put it back to where I had it before the update screwed up all my settings.
- As mentioned earlier, it's VERY annoying that the Siri wannabe voice is terribly muted when listening on bluetooth. I can barely hear her ask who I want to call. I use a bluetooth system in my motorcycle helmet and a normal volume is very important. I hope it doesn't screw with my ability to use my helmet set.
- When I manually click the google mic button and say "Call blah blah blah" and it recognizes the command and takes about 10 seconds of a progress bar before it actually dials the number.
- Which I click the google mic and say "message to john," it doesn't actually message john...nor does it even go to a message dialog box (really??), instead, it pops up his name where you have to press yet another "Edit Message" option. This step often takes several seconds now though it used to be instant. I guess the delay now is due to the fact that it wants to include a google term search when you're trying to message your friend...how dumb. Then you have to press yet again the Add Text option just pop open the keyboard...then you have to long press the period key just to get the mic open again. That's insane. Do you really have to go through four steps just to send voice recognized sms?
....even more stuff. I can keep adding to this list of frustration.
Is there a way to unupgrade? The benefits of this upgrade do not warrant the problems. I REALLY want to go back.
Only way to downgrade would be to find the RUU file online. I posted it's location on another thread.
What you described was a shutdown, not a hard reset. To initiate the hard reset you would restart the phone, as soon as you see the screen go black, puss and hold the volume down button until it boots to the recovery screen. Use the volume keys to navigate and select Factory Reset with the Power Button.
Well so far I haven't seen any of the issues you guys are talking about.. I've had the update since the first day and everything have been smooth and fast on my EVO
Maybe I'm just a power user and more sensitive to speed and effeciency changes. My friend with the same phone is experiencing identical issues. I put the two together today and compared.
The real problem comes to the way google is attempting to coral us into using google services (which I already do). However, many of the changes are an attempt to dumb-down the process.....in the same way that MSIE keeps reinstalling Bing everytime you uninstall it hah. I keep finding more and more issues, but there's no point in continuing to list them. It's a terrible, poorly tested update and many of us aren't happy that our beloved (and under-contract) device just got trashed.
I'm a power user too.. And I've seen many improvements in the UI and performance and I'm a guy that just came from custom Roms like CM10 and meanrom
I liked the phone before the update and LOVE the phone after the update. I can now beam photos my Bluetooth works fine phone seems faster like the slowmotion feature for recording my sons at his basketball game.. I haven't had any of the problems people are having. Although late as he'll with update, thanks sprint.