cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printers for EVO 4G LTE that print direct from phone with no app?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Printers for EVO 4G LTE that print direct from phone with no app?

I see that the EVO 4G has a printer menu now, (YAY), and I thought since I just bought a new HP e-print printer (HP 5510)  it would be new enough and should work with my new EVO LTE, but it comes up and says it's not compatible.

Is any body using a printer that is compatible and is it working well?   It's worth it for me to go buy a new printer so it will work really easy from the phone's print option in the drop down menu, just like Iphone's does with  airprint.

I've always been jealous of Apple's airprint to HP printers.    I have used on my old EVO the printershare app and such, but everyone of them will not let me print on a secure type page.  Like when I've made air or hotel reservations and I go to print my confirmaiton or e-tickets I can't because it tries to just put that in a new browser. 

Anyway if you are having direct print from phone menu will you let me know.  THANKS!!

18 REPLIES 18
Master

Re: Printers for EVO 4G LTE that print direct from phone with no app?

Is the printer showing up when you connect to the WiFi network and Scan For Printers? If not, what happens when you use the Add Printer option?

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Yes the printer shows up, my phone sees it and tells me it's not compatible. If I add printer I get a free choices of either canon, HP, or Epsom printer models and of course my printer model is not one to choose from.  Are you using one of those models and is it working well for you?

Master

Unfortunately, no. My printer is on the fritz and I'm looking for a printer as well. However, the method should be straight forward.

I'm wondering if the printer needs to be setup as a shared printer where it uses a PC as it's print server or have an independent print server. I'll have to try to connect it to my work system tomorrow and play around.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

On my Samsung galaxy tab 10.1 , I had to buy a Samsung printer, my Mac air 13.3 can print directly to this new HP 5510 I just bought.  I'm probably going to have 3 different printers for each device, lol.

Master

I connected to my work network and this is what I see,

Screenshot_2012-06-12-10-07-53.pngScreenshot_2012-06-12-10-08-28.pngScreenshot_2012-06-12-10-08-40.png

I'm assuming all the printers that say Ready are usable and will work. I only tried the HP Color LaserJet 2840 listed in the first image which is in my department. Printed fine.

--

GrandMaster

geeze...i dont think you guys have enough printers...if a zombie apocalypse DOES actually happen you guys can fling those at them...should hold them at bay for at least a month or 2

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Well good to know if I get one on the list they show on my phone that it will work.  Off to Best Buy to buy yet another printer just for my phone.

Master

Heh, yeah. These printers happen to be across 22 divisions from the East to the West coast, including TJ. The printers I only have 2 of them in my department. 

--

Journeyman

Hey I got it to work by lying what printer I really had.   When it says add printer I put in my printers IP address, then click HP and I selected a printer model B1110 series (even though mine is a 5510 series)  and it worked!   It warns you that if you pick a different printer that it may print wierd and stuff, but it's not on mine.  It's working perfect.  SO cool to just hit print from my phone and no App needed just like Airprint.  It has a print Preview,  you can choose black or white, how many copies, how many pages, fit to page, etc.... 

Journeyman

How do you get to the printer menu?  Also,  is it possible to print through the Gmail App???

Master

Gmail doesn't support the print option.

The Mail App and the Gallery seem to be the only apps that support Print.

Within either app, press Menu and look for the Print option. It will tell you that you need to be connected to a WiFi network to use. Any printer on the WiFi network is acessible at that point. Whether it will work or not depends on the printer. As DiamondSranch discovered, you can pick your printer and tell it it's a different printer so that it uses the drivers for the different printer. Sometimes results are successful, other times they are not. If the later, just hit Print again and select the printer and it will rediscover and allow you to tweak again until you get a print that looks correct.

--

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat