cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover messages lost in secure box

Wizard

Re: Recover messages lost in secure box

SCSMITH1984,

Thanks for the post. It seems like a bit of an odd problem but let’s do our best to get to the bottom of this issue for you.  What device are you using? Does the data from one user only become inaccessible after you delete something from them either in a secure or unsecured location?  If you try to access data from a contact that you have never deleted any data from are you able to access it with no problem? Provide the answers to these questions and we’ll see what we can do.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care

Michael C.

Journeyman

htc evo lte.

At first I thought deleting the persons messages in the secure box was the culprit but as i posted earlier

"I just tested it out by moving messages to the secure box then deleting the rest of the thread in the inbox and this time the messages still appear in my secure box  so maybe I was wrong.( Geesh, my bad)"

After I did the back up as the other poster suggested all the messages that i was trying to recover completely disappeared.  However it has happened again. Where my secure box will show no messages but when i do a search the messages will appear.

Wizard

scsmith1984,

Thanks for the reply. What device are you using?

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care

Michael C.

Journeyman

htc evo 4g lte

Highlighted
Wizard

SCSMITH1984,

Thanks for the reply.  I have tried to narrow down what was wrong with the device and I have a few fixes that should work.  It sounds like the glitch you are experiencing may be solved by addressing the memory and/or profile update.  It is always adviseable to back up anything before performing these troubleshooting steps (but it does seem as if most of the data on your phone has already been erased). 

Increase Memory (by freeing up space)

These steps will help identify and resolve the underlying cause. After completing each step, test to see if the issue is fixed. If not, continue to the next step.

Low memory issues arise when you have too many applications on your HTC EVO 4G LTE or when you need to clear your application cache.

1. 1.Verify you have available memory using Sprint Zone.

The Sprint Zone application can help identify the cause of low memory issues.

1. a.Access Sprint Zone.
  2. b.Tap Help.
  3. c.Tap Dashboard.
  4. d.Scroll to and tap Storage.
  5. e.Tap App Storage.
  6. f.Tap Running to view applications and processes that are currently consuming system memory and storage.
  7. g.Try closing an application, and if you no longer use an application, uninstall it.
  8. h.Test your device to see if the issue is resolved.
  9. 2.Uninstall unused applications.

Sprint recommends that you uninstall unused applications when possible. It helps free up internal memory and can improve device performance.

***Your HTC EVO 4G LTE comes with some pre-installed applications that you can't uninstall.

1. 3.Move applications to the memory card.

By default, your HTC EVO 4G LTE saves all applications to internal memory. To free up internal memory, you can move some applications to the memory card.

*** Be sure your memory card has enough space to handle the transfer. You can also consider switching to a higher capacity memory card.

Move an application to the memory card.

***Some applications must remain on internal memory. If an application on the memory card malfunctions, move it back to your HTC EVO 4G LTE internal memory.

1. 4.Clear application cache.

Each application has a cache of temporary files that may be taking up memory.

Try clearing the application cache from your larger applications to free up space.

Continue to clear the cache on the rest of your apps.

*** You may not be able to clear the cache for every application.

*** Rarely, an application may not function as expected afterward.

*** Be sure you clear only the application cache and not the application data.

***If you clear the application data, you remove your personal settings and info such as login information and high scores.

***If you clear the application cache, you don't remove your personal settings or information.

Clear the application cache.

1. 5.Perform a soft reset.

A soft reset deletes any temporary files and can potentially free up internal memory.

1. a.Press and hold the Power key. Ignore any prompts or other screen changes.
  2. b.Continue holding the Power key until your HTC EVO 4G LTE turns off.
  3. c.Your device automatically turns back on.
  4. d.Test your phone to see if the issue is resolved.

***To optimize device performance, be sure your HTC EVO 4G LTE is running the most recent device software. Check for software updates.

Perform Software Update

Manually Perform Update

Press Home > Apps, then tap Settings.

Scroll up and tap System updates.

Tap HTC software update > Check now.

Device will check for update.

Follow onscreen prompts to download and install the update.

Approximate time to download and install is 8-10 minutes.

---Then Verify Software Update---

Press Home > Apps, then tap Settings.

Scroll up and tap About.

Software version number should be 3.16.651.3.

Press Home to return to Home screen.

Please let me know if these troubleshooting steps have helped.  If you have any questions, concerns or need clarification on any of the steps let us know so that we may further assist. Thank you.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care

Michael C

Journeyman

I'm having the exact same problems described above, on the same device (HTC EVO 4G LTE).  I have tried everything you described in your most recent post - I have a gig of memory left according to Dashboard.  If I go into my secure box and search for the name of the person whose messages disappeared, they (the first line anyway) appear, but if I try to click on them, they just go away again.  They're all somewhere...I just can't figure out where.  I've tried pretty much everything the folks above suggested except for clearing the data because I don't want to lose the messages entirely.  At one point yesterday, they reappeared and I thought the problem was solved, but when I went back they were gone again.  Guess I should have moved them out of the secure box when I had the chance!   Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Betti G

Wizard

bettibiz,

Thanks for the reply.  It seems like you've tried most of the steps to clear this up to no avail.  At this point, I would consult the services of a tech at a Sprint store to see what they are able to do for you.  You can find the nearest location at www.sprint.com/storelocator.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care

Michael C.

Journeyman

This has nothing to do with what is wrong with the 4g lte phone and / or  how to recover those hidden messages.  A real solution needs to be provided as I have now read several blogs all with the same issues.  Sprint ~ Get your act together, find the solution and help get these obviously important messages (or they wouldn't be locked in a secure box) back!!!

Thank you

Master

Unfortunately, the various steps provided earlier didn't work so your only recourse now is to take it to a Sprint Tech to be looked at or contact HTC directly.

Contact Us

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

That would be extremely useful information, if I didn;t already in fact take those steps prior to posting on this page.  Sprint sells and promotes HTC phones and HTC Designs and Manufactures them and still neither party obviously knows how to use them or fix them for that matter.  SO AGAIN I AM LOOKING FOR AN ACTUAL RESOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM!!!

Please and thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation!!

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.