cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset loops when sending texts after 3.16.651.3, but only in some areas

Journeyman

Reset loops when sending texts after 3.16.651.3, but only in some areas

Ever since the system update to Jelly Bean 3.16.651.3, I've been having major problems with my phone resetting.  It almost always resets when I attempt to send text messages, but will occasionally do it with no interation at all.  When it resets, it will often get stuck in a loop of 5-6 resets in a row before finally starting to work again.  On a typical day it will have 3-4 sets of reset loops and several other times with single resets.

Interestingly, I only have these problems near my work in Eldersburg, MD.  That area did semi-recently get 4G, but I still get the resets regardless of whether I'm using 4G or restricted it to 3G only.  I have had zero problems in other areas that only have 3G.  Having WiFi on or off seems to make no difference, and the only way I've found that it will stay on consistently is to turn on airplane mode (which obviously defeats most of the point of having a phone).

Unfortunately everything I've read hear seems to indicate that there's no way to uninstall the 3.16.651.3 update and go back to the previous version.  A Sprint representative at the local store had me to the "Reset Phone" thing, but that only wiped out my apps, data, and settings, rather than every change after the original delivery.  Doing that had no effect on the problem.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?  This completely wrecks the phone's functionality for most of the day, so I'm not inclined to patiently wait for whenever the next system update comes.

5 REPLIES 5
Master

Re: Reset loops when sending texts after 3.16.651.3, but only in some areas

So far, the only way I've been able to solve a Reboot Loop is to perform a Hard Reset to make the phone like brand new. Another method that might work is to go into Settings, and 1 at a time Force Quite any and all apps you installed followed by Clear Data and Clear Cache then Uninstall the app.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

It looks like the issue is in the update itself.  Just to be sure, I did a second Hard Reset today, and did not re-install or update any apps.  I even used task manager to close the few Google apps that come pre-bundled with the phone such as Maps, leaving only the core stuff running.  Once I was sure the phone was in the cleanest state possible, I tried sending a text message and the phone went into a reboot loop.

Master

Sounds like the update is conflicting with the hardware. I would perform the same test in front of a technician. They could probably reflash the ROM from their computer. If that doesn't fix it, then it's hardware itself and would require a replacment.

You have TEP?

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Just as followup, Sprint did end up replacing that phone.  (Well, first they replaced it with one with a dead touchscreen, but then replaced the first replacement.)  The replacement with the old ROM is working just fine, so I'm probably just going to use it as is and pass on this version of Jelly Bean.

Thanks for all your help!

Master

Glad you got it taken care of. Shame your original phone reacted the way it did with Jelly Bean.

--

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat