ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Several Questions Related to Two Separate EVO 4G LTE Phones With Problems

Journeyman

Several Questions Related to Two Separate EVO 4G LTE Phones With Problems

My wife and I have both been having connection issues with separate HTC EVO 4G LTE phones.   Previously she had the EVO 4G (Great phone)  and I had the Epic 4G ($600 hockey puck).   Both of those phones got decent reception and could get a data connection and hold it in normal everyday places (office, stores, home) that the EVO 4G LTE can't.  Facebook, Twitter, and other apps all break connection or spin forever while trying to get one.  The signal bars are often non-existant in place where we had them before and often jump in strength even when the phones are stationary. 

So here are my questions.

1)  Are we simply two times unlucky, or is the EVO 4G LTE a bad phone?   Has anyone had success swapping the phone out for a new EVO? 

2)  If there is a problem with the model, does Sprint have any sort of official recognition of the problems that I can refer to when I talk to Customer Service Reps that all claim with straight faces that "we have no record of....."  

3)  If issues continue, is it possible to get out of your contract or at least trade in this phone for a replacement with a comparable smartphone that actually works.  What is the secret?   If not, are we supposed to just accept the fact that Sprint sold us a terrible piece of hardware for two years and not get the service we've paid for?  

4)  Has Sprint rigged its network so that the iPhone gets network preference over Android?   My wife and I both have friends with Sprint iPhones that seem to have no data issues whatsoever.   We never had a data problem with our old phones before Sprint went to the iPhone.  Now we barely get any speed.  

Thanks,

Rob

2 REPLIES 2
Journeyman

Re: Several Questions Related to Two Separate EVO 4G LTE Phones With Problems

Hello Rob,

I had the hockey puck too before upgrading to the EVO  4G LTE.

1)  The WiFi connectibility on this new EVO kept dropping off and on for me every 10-20 seconds or so.  Once I updated to the newest HTC software update that just came out (yesterday I believe), it works perfectly fine now.  Sprint's 3G network is just not that great right now.  So my recommendation is to connect to an open WiFi everywhere you go, if you're not lucky enough to be in a 4G area currently.  If you're already doing the WiFi thing, then see number 4.  If you were to take the phone into a Sprint store and they find that the problem cannot be fixed by reinstalling and/or a hard reset, they will give you a new one.

2)  It is my understanding that Customer Service Reps are made aware of some/all issues that come down the pike, but as with everything, some of them just know more, are more technically inclined, or know how to get that information more than others...call again to get someone different.

3)  I think there is a limited time (like a month and a half or something) that if you don't like the phone, you can get something else.  But honestly, system updates so far have taken care of most of my gripes.  Do number 1 first.

4)  The Sprint network is not rigged, I doubt that's even possible.  The hardware in the phone makes a big difference, then follows the software.  Keep checking the profile and PRL for updates on the EVO (in Settings/System Updates)...might as well check the firmware too...just check it all.  I literally just went down the line and updated everything, finishing with the new HTC software update.

Master

Re: Several Questions Related to Two Separate EVO 4G LTE Phones With Problems

crutnacker wrote:

1)  Are we simply two times unlucky, or is the EVO 4G LTE a bad phone?   Has anyone had success swapping the phone out for a new EVO? 

The LTEVO and the SGIII are actually great phones but both experienced issues with signal since launch on several networks (not just Sprint in the case of the SGIII). Most of the problems seem to have been resolved with the 2 updates we have seen on the LTEVO. There are a few people who got phone swaps.

crutnacker wrote:

2)  If there is a problem with the model, does Sprint have any sort of official recognition of the problems that I can refer to when I talk to Customer Service Reps that all claim with straight faces that "we have no record of....."  

No, there are a couple posts mentioning it as a problem. But they also mention that it will be addressed in the coming updates. So far we have had 2 updates and in both cases the problem has diminished in the first and appeared to have been resolved in the second. If your still having problems, then you may be in the minority as I haven't heard/seen but one other post mentioning it still being a problem. Typically though, if there are 2 phones experiencing the problem, it usually points to network. Try to get in touch with the following admins, supply your Zipcode and nearest Main cross streets to where your experiencing the problem.

• 14Knight, Raylitherland67, Markie_B

crutnacker wrote:

3)  If issues continue, is it possible to get out of your contract or at least trade in this phone for a replacement with a comparable smartphone that actually works.  What is the secret?   If not, are we supposed to just accept the fact that Sprint sold us a terrible piece of hardware for two years and not get the service we've paid for?  

You get 14 days to get out of contract, 30 days to switch to a different phone. After that, you have to go through tech support, repair center, etc.. if your still having problems. As mentioned though, most of the issues have been resolved with the 2 updates. and if not in your case, definitely check to see if it's network related.

crutnacker wrote:

4)  Has Sprint rigged its network so that the iPhone gets network preference over Android?   My wife and I both have friends with Sprint iPhones that seem to have no data issues whatsoever.   We never had a data problem with our old phones before Sprint went to the iPhone.  Now we barely get any speed.  

Nope. They are though in the process of converting everything over to the LTE Network Vision system. As such, you could be experiencing connectivity related to these upgrades. To go into this further, I have seen several posts where users where having signal issues. But when the LTE towers were activated in their location the problems went away. This was after the first update. You could be in the same boat.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat