cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some basic Pre Purchase Questions about HTC EVO 4G LTE

Highlighted
Journeyman

Some basic Pre Purchase Questions about HTC EVO 4G LTE

OK, Right now we have three phones, my wife & youngest son use blackberry's. I have a very old Sanyo 8400. OK, stop laughing. problem is I keep my phone in my shirt pocket. (if the shirt doesn't have a pocket...you not selling a shirt). My Sanyo 8400 fits there very nicely. The new smart phones ?????   Anyway, my wife wants a new phone...my attitude great. CR and PCworld like the 4G LTE. That way I check out and see if it would fit in my pocket without falling into the can or something.

But, my Sanyo 8400 has some very nice basic features. 1st of all it obviously never butt or purse dials which my wife and kid do a lot. I notice the HTC can be locked (downloaded the manual).

How well does that "locking" work?

With my Sanyo I can set a specific contact to a specific ringtone. Can you do that with the HTC? I've quickly looked at the blackberry's and never found that capacity but I hate working with their blackberrys. I have very large hands and with the tiny keys I hit three keys at once. I have to fight the urge to throw the thing across the room.

For now let's stick with those two.

1. Locking the phone to prevent "butt" dialing. How well does that work?

2. Ability to assign a specific fingtone to a specific contact.

Oh, One other thing. My sanyo does support bluetooth. Noticed contacts (and maybe other stuff) can be transferrred by bluetooth. I have 100's of contacts. Suppose I wouldn't find out how well that works between the HTC & Sanyo until I tried it. I asume no one here has ever transferred contacts (or maybe other stuff) between a Sanyo 8400 and the HTC?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Wizard

Hi levinemc,

Thank you for posting your questions with us on our forums.  To answer your questions:

1. The screen lock definitely prevents pocket dialing.  I don't use the security lock that requires a pin code/pattern etc. to unlock it because the screen goes to 'sleep' and locks the phone when not in use and requires you to tap the power button and then drag your finger across the screen to unlock it making it almost impossible to pocket dial. 

2. Yes, you can assign different ring tones to different contacts.  It's as easy as opening the contact and tapping the 'ring tone' button and choosing which ringer you want assigned with that contact.

3. Unfortunately I don't have an 8400 in my device lab to test it out, but it shouldn't be an issue to Bluetooth the contacts between the phones.  If it doesn't work, you can always take both phones into a Sprint store and they can transfer them for you.

Highlighted
Master

When the phone is locked, the only button that works is the power button. Though there is the possibility that the power button can be depressed, you still have to unlock the phone to perform a dial. So in that regards, it's pretty secure.

What I don't like about the lock screen is the fact that if you do press the power button the volume buttons can be accessed and the notification bar, with settings, can be accessed. I've written HTC about it as personally I feel neither should be accessible until you unlock the phone. However, I don't feel it's a deal breaker and am quite happy with the way the phone functions and works other then that.

You can set different ring tones for any number of contacts. Piece of cake.

The HTC supports transferring the contacts via bluetooth, so after you get the phone, if the Sanyo supports tranferring them, then you shouldn't have a problem getting them onto the new phone.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat