cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split Text issues

12 REPLIES
Master

Re: Split Text issues

CherishandJeri - Thank you for reaching out to us in the matter. I am sincerely sorry about your experience. I'm here to help. How long has this been going on with your device? Are you receiving broken messages from a specific number or any number that text? How are the other services (talk and data) working? Please let me know. - Nyyota
Sprint Social Care
GrandMaster

sprint has been this way for YEARS..i dont see it changing anytime soon.

Journeyman

I came to Sprint because of the low monthly service price. But, IF T-Mobile can provide Unbroken Text Message which has the worst Customer Service Support ever. I'm surprise that Sprint can not provide Unbroken Text Messages.

Highlighted
Master

Exactly. 

smotrs,

Correct, the message on your device will typically show as one message. However when it goes above the character limit the recipient will see (1/2) with part of the message and then (2/2) with the remainder of the text. Currently there isn't a way to change how that comes across to the recipient.

Dan

Sprint Social Care Team

GrandMaster

yah the only way to bypass this is to send it as a mms instead...which is a pain...then again this has been how they do it even stretching back to the original evo.

Master

When you say "split them up" are you saying the message, after you send it on your phone is showing 2 parts rather then 1 message? Or are you saying that a message you receive is in 2 parts?

The second is normal and how it typically appears. The first isn't. A message you send whether it's 40 characters or 260 characters will still show up as 1 message on your phone but the person receiving it would get multiple messages in 160 character increments. So if you sent a message that had 260 characters, your phone would show 1 message but the recipient would end up with 2 messages.

Journeyman

i have tried handcent and gosms and they still split them up.. Weird...

Master

Keep in mind, SMS stands for Short Message Service. The way it works is by transmitting very small amounts of information across the voice lines to a recipient device. Unfortunately, the amount of this data is limited to 140 bytes or 160 characters. This is a limitation thats been in place for quite some time.

Master

Any option for "Do not split messages" has to be third party as I don't recall that being an option on the stock messaging app. In any case, as Dan above mentioned, the phone has a builtin 160 character limit, past that and it automatically gets broken into 2 or more messages. There is no way to overide this. Now it is possible that a third party app can rejoin the messages once they are received, but the default messaging app doesn't have that functionality.