cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE Trial Experiences - the gathering place to hear all about the EVO from first-hand users

Wizard

Re: Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE Trial Experiences - the gathering place to hear all about the EVO from first-hand users

That won't work as the HBOOT version cannot be downgraded without NAND unlock (AKA s-off). Evomcs, you can always just use the HTCDev unlock method to root even on the updated baseband. Granted, currently there's no method to gain s-off on this new base but you'll be able to flash most if not all Roms and even firmware from a custom recovery (TWRP).

So in short, right now, there are no rouge root methods floating around but the "official" still exists and will be good enough happy flashin peeps!

Journeyman

Re: Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE Trial Experiences - the gathering place to hear all about the EVO from first-hand users

I continue to enjoy me Evo LTE.  I do wish that the charging port was on the bottom though.  The only other real complaint I have is Sense restarts, I hope HTC fixes that.  They were having the same issue with the One X and they came out with a fix or at least an improvement.  I don't mind it every once in a while, but it happens far too often right now.  Usually after using the web for a while.  They just need to protect Sense in memory so it doesn't get shut down.

Journeyman

Thanks for the info! Even though I took the OTA, I was able to unlock using HTCDEV, flashed TWRP custom recovery and made a nandroid backup.  Then I loaded MeanROM ICS 1.91 and things have been going great.  All of the root extras I was used to are back. Especially happy about having the Quick Settings on the Notifications pull-down, wifi tether, roam-only option, accurate battery meter, accurate 1X/3G icons, and being able to turn off that damn camera shutter sound!

Here are some links to what I used for anyone else wanting to do this...

How to unlock & flash custom recovery & superuser

http://htcevohacks.com/htc-evo-4g-lte-root/how-to-root-htc-evo-4g-lte-unlock-bootloadertwrp-recovery...

MeanROM ICS

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1727167

Journeyman

My 30 day trial ends tomorrow. It's been fun! Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi, All, as our trial winds down, I wanted to say thanks for your participation! We've been delighted with the level of discussion -- and knowledge -- that our trial particpants bring to the table, and have gleaned a lot of insights that will be shared with HTC.  To this end, HTC would specifically like your thoughts around the next iteration of the EVO.  If you would please take a moment to respond to the following questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Some of you have already touched on some of the items, but we wanted to be sure to get everyone's perspective.  Thanks again for your participation!  We hope you continue to enjoy your EVOs!

Deb

1) What key features (s/w and hardware) would you like to see in the next Version of EVO?

2) Do you like having a kickstand on the EVO? If so why?  Have you tried the kickstand in all 3 positions and what are your thoughts on that?  Would you like to see a kickstand on the next version of EVO?

3) What are your five (5) favorite things about HTC EVO 4G LTE.  Would you like to see them on the next version of EVO?

4) Do you like having Micro SD Card support independent of internal memory on the device? If so why? What do you use your SD card for?

5) Do you like the dedicated Camera button on the HTC EVO 4G LTE. Would you like to  have it on next EVO?

6) What name would you like for the next EVO?

7) What screen size do you feel comfortable with and why?

8) What can we improve on from HTC EVO 4G LTE?

9) Would you like a more rounded shaped EVO than square which is essentially rounded off like HTC EVO 4G LTE?

10) Would you like a removable battery versus embedded and what size (mAh) and why?

11 ) What accessories would you like to see with the next EVO?

12) What color would you like to see the next EVO

Journeyman

1.  Move the USB charging port to the bottom of the phone and engineer a removable battery if possible.  Add an additional 1 GB of RAM, latest processor and protect Sense in memory so it doesn't crash all the time.  I would also like the "back" and "recent apps" buttons reversed.

2.  Yes, I use it often when watching videos.  Definitely keep the kickstand.  The strength and position are great.

3.  Sense, speed, screen size, screen and camera with its features.  Yes, I want to see all of them in the next version, don't make it any bigger.

4.  Yes, I store all the apps I can as well as media, pictures, music and videos.

5.  Yes and Yes

6.  Evo Ultimate

7.  I like this 4.7" screen size, I wouldn't want it to be larger and definitely not smaller.

8.  Get the LTE network up and running smoothly and get all large metropolitan areas covered.  Get rid of the glossy plastic on the upper half of the back and replace it with the same material as the bottom half or what was used on the original Evo 4G.

9.  I like the existing shape/size.

10.  Yes, the largest available for longer usage life as well as the ability to pull the battery or swap it out for a fresh one of really heavy use days where charging may not be available.

11.  Can't think of any

12.  Black and White versions

Journeyman

4.  Yes.  Store apps, media, etc.

8.  The case is too slick, too easy to drop.  Keep it slim, but use material that has some tackiness to it.

10.  Yes, a removable battery please.

Journeyman

1) What key features (s/w and hardware) would you like to see in the next Version of EVO?

•          The  ability to completely remove Sense

•          On screen navigation buttons

•          Removable Battery

•          Louder Speaker

•          2GB of Ram

•          Postion USB port on the bottom of the device

•          Higher Resolution Screen

•          The next generation of processors

2) Do you like having a kickstand on the EVO? If so why?  Have you tried the kickstand in all 3 positions and what are your thoughts on that?  Would you like to see a kickstand on the next version of EVO?

I have yet to use the kickstand so it really doesn’t matter to me.

3) What are your five (5) favorite things about HTC EVO 4G LTE.  Would you like to see them on the next version of EVO?

Yes I would like to see them in the next device

•          The Screen [Although it tends to look washed out at times]

•          The speed

•          Micro SD support

•          Placement of the Notification led

•          Battery Life

4) Do you like having Micro SD Card support independent of internal memory on the device? If so why? What do you use your SD card for?

Yes I like it the reason being is you can never have too much memory. I have a large collection of media that I tend to carry from device to device & SD card support makes it my life a lot easier because I can pop it in and go.

5) Do you like the dedicated Camera button on the HTC EVO 4G LTE. Would you like to  have it on next EVO?

This doesn’t really matter to me.

HTC EVO LTE 2

I have large hands so 4.5” to 4.8” is fine by me.

•          Make it so that Sense doesn’t crash anymore.

•          Onscreen Navigation buttons

•          Better Camera

•          Better Screen Resolution

•          Better Battery life

•          Louder Speaker

•          USB port placement

9) Would you like a more rounded shaped EVO than square which is essentially rounded off like HTC EVO 4G LTE?

Doesn’t matter

10) Would you like a removable battery versus embedded and what size (mAh) and why?

If you can fit a 3500mAh embedded battery in the Evo & keep the size somewhat thin & manageable then I’m game. If not, I would prefer removable so I don’t have to keep my phone plugged up throughout the day.

•          Desktop Dock

•          Higher Quality Screen Protectors

Black & white launched at the same time

Wizard

Thank you again Deb for the opportunity to be of "service" here and the obvious perks of said service. Here are my thoughts...

I think that HTC hit it pretty close to right on the head with the s/w and hardware in the Evo LTE.

Software - There are some tweaks and fixes that NEED to be made to Sense for the next version but Sense4.0 is much, much better and more user (and system resource) friendly than the earlier versions. Things that I didn't mention as fixes are 1. Changing the "check" mark color from that lime green to a color we can see, EASIER! 2. General bug fixes such as text sizes in the SMS app just changing, on its own for no apparent reason. 3. Quick unlock (when unlocking with pin or password there is no need to click the "OK" to unlock, just unlock the phone when correct code is entered)

Hardware (inside)

- HTC pushed to the front of the pack with the S4 processor we got, I would just say to always keep the balance between power and battery consumption.  Battery life has been great on the device, it is an EXTREMELY powerful sytem and I think we want to keep that.  Quads (for LTE tech) are coming, but if quad cores are still just a tick above the efficient dual processors in processing AND are more battery hungry, then LEAVE THE QUADS ALONE.

- Internal vs Removable battery debate is not brewing anymore BUT the life of these non-removable batteries has not been proven.  So the need to switch batteries (becasue the phone is dead after 8-10) isn't really there (thank you) but we have yet to see if the need to REPLACE them comes up before the 2yr mark that people are expected to hold on to them before upgrading.

- CAMERA CAMERA CAMERA!  Love the camera, the sensor combined with the new software is top of the line.  I can't say that I've taken this many pictures with a phone AND been able to keep them and share them and not feel like they are just "camera phone" pics.  GREAT JOB!

Hardware (outside)

- Overall, love the phone size, thin and solid (not plastic cheap feeling) in the hand with a good balance of metal and "other" materials.

- ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE SCREEN! Great screen, great visibility in any lighting situation, leave it alone, it's ALL GOOD.  If anything, maybe push the screen viewable area out closer to the phone bezel (like Samsung does with the GNex or GS3) but the phone "size" is perfect.

- PLEASE OH PLEASE insure the whole device has some real support built in if the split case design is used again.  There are no supporting structures on the sides of the device where it's split so it is quite easy to bend, to a noticable amount, the phone.  I have seen it on multiple devices first hand and the community has many many examples of this.  Poor design, but at least this is the only one I can really stand behind.    

- Speaker volume seems to be a complaint but I'm ok with it and my ears have been abused, a lot, over the last 20yr.

- The texture (lack there of) and the high  gloss top and matte bottom is just weird.  I put a case on as soon as I buy my phones but I tell you what, it looks funny AND dear lord is the phone slick without the case.  It's pretty hard to have a sure grip on it without a case.  The form factor is great to look at (except the glossy finger print hungry top cover) but in practice, it just didn't work.

- I really didn't miss the kickstand but I do like having it. Its not a make or break feature in my opinion but it's handy when needed (just have to remember to use the dang thing) and conceals well so you really forget it's there.  Keep the kickstand, it keeps the Evo masses happy.        

1. SVDO - AWESOMESAUCE for those of us that do not and may not see LTE service for years.  At least if we get the WiMax treatment, we can have the ability to use voice and data services simultaneously over 3G. (Not saying that will happen but lets face it, a lot of us got burnt on that deal.)

2. Excellent Processor

3. Excellent Screen

4. Great battery life

5. Camera

HECKS YEAH I want to see them and even improved versions if there are any.  If these things decline, then I would just keep the Evo and wait for HTC to get it right, again!  I can't say that they have ever gone backwards with the "next" version of devices but I surely hope they keep with that trend and only keep getting better.

- Yes, I like having and a flashship device to me is NOT COMPLETE without expandable memory.  Only exception to this would be one day when we have 64gig of storage onboard, then maybe we can talk but right now, it's a must. 

- Why? I don't care how many cloud services and other ways of backing up photos, documents, data there are, its hard to really just replace the removable storage component.

- Photo's, roms, backups of data, docs

- Honestly, I use the dedicated button 25% of the time, usually when I want to "pre-focus" on subject I'm taking a photo of.  It's nice, but not a "have to have" as the software camera button gets the job done, and done well.

- Um.... don't name it "EVO 4G" anything. Drop the 4G, that make it a pain to differentiate.  No matter the name, just improve on an already stellar device and I'm buying it and will have the other dozen people I serve as "techical adviser" for to buy it as well, just like the EVO 4G LTE. 

- Screen size is perfect, don't make the overall device any larger BUT if the screen viewable area can be expanded, go for it.

- Well, by now, there are lots of suggested improvements above in my reply and all over this thread so I'll not restate them. Just continue improving, don't pull a iPhone stunt and give us so half baked warmed over update that brings little more than a UI overlay change and a new name. That, is horrible...

- I like the square vs. round design of the other HTC One series devices.  It's what we come to expect and honestly, I like the way it looks and feels compared to the other brother/sister/cousin One series devices.

- I think the great battery life that we have with the EVO LTE really, REALLY saved it for us.  If the battery life had of been a dog, it would have been a horrible gamble lost by Sprint.  I think the embedded battery is just fine and if another 200-500maH could be crammed in with no real noticable size increase, I'd think no one would take issue with the embedded.  I'd be interested to see just how often all the people that were whining about NEEDING TO HAVE a removable battery really are changing batteries.  I just can't see a need to have it removable when a typical user is easily making it through the day 16-24hr on a charge.

- Really don't need any accessories, I'm good with what we have an have always had. I'm not a dock (car or desktop) guy and MLH adaptor is still my choice for pushing content to a tv/projector.  The Media link is a bit buggy still and with around a $100 price tag, I'm staying away until either the hardward or software is fixed to work like a champ!

- Black initially and then White to follow, as usual.  If I were forced to get a white phone (as in, if it was the first to launch) then I would but I don't know that white phones are all that popular, especially not as popular as the black models.  I don't know if the purple and pink types of colors are needed and I really don't know how well they sell but if they don't, just don't do it.

Wizard

I am not sure how this will associate to me.  My next phone will be a Windows 8 phone.  Maybe HTC will offer a WP8 EVO and an Android EVO.  If that were the case then no HTC Sense on the WP8 phone, just leave it alone, I am sure microsoft would require that anyway.  E-mail has to work.  All e-mail.  Hotmail does not work and my pop server website email accounts do not receive.  The issue is ICS, I am pretty sure.  It is a total failure for me.

Yes, I don't have to find something to prop it on.  Yes, it worked for me. Yes.

Kickstand, camera, the build quality, has not crashed on me (neither did the 3d), vibrant screen, the M-USB port not being at the bottom.

All of that

Have to have the SD Card.  No SD Card=no sale.  Pictures, the transfer of files from one device to another when they are not configured for my phone.  I would rather the card be accessible without having to remove the cover though.

Need the dedicated camera button

EVO WOW(actually this can be anything, just get rid of the ridiculous long names that you have been using, change the Samsung name too)

It is not the screen persay, it is the size of the phone.  The EVO 3d is the right size for me.  remove some wasted space on the front and you can easily get a 4.7 screen in it.

E-mail program

The standard cases in store

File management in Android is clunky and cumbersome to me.  A nice app that allows full access to the file system (included with Sense) would be great.

Volume (double it for everything)

Does not matter to me

Removable battery, yes.  Bacause sometimes you just need to remove all power from an electronics device.  2500

Package deals would be nice, bluetooths, additional cords etc.  With everything on M-USB, the need to re-purchase cords is not there and that is great.  If the M-USB changed I would probably switch to something still using M-USB.

Black is fine.

GrandMaster

Deborrah3 wrote:

keep it there but possibly give an option to shut it off.

either would be great..but if it does continue to be embedded then give an option to upgrade into a larger battery if desired for such and such price..im sure they can design a different rear panel that can be put on there to compensate for a larger battery.

option for a larger battery for the embedded battery(obviously this would be done within the repair store). its a given that there will be larger batteries if they go with a removable battery next time.

and of course get that sense reload issue under wraps.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Deb,

Thank you again for the opportunity to review the EVO 4G LTE!

From  HTC, a configurable Car mode dashboard

From Sprint, the ability to remove (not just hide) unwanted applications

Upgrades, improved camera stability control, increased Speakerphone volume

Quick upgrade to Jelly Bean

Love the kickstand!! Tried all 3 positions, suggest a slightly larger flat on the end of the kickstand to allow more stability in portrait. EVOs should always include kickstand!

- Kickstand

- Display

- Battery life

- Camera (with built in rapid shoot and Pano. I didn't think I would use these features, until I had them)

- Processor spead over the OEVO

Yes, Allows me to upgrade and grow as I need

I use the SD card for all my apps, photos, music, documents. I also use the SD card as a mobile HD for transporting work / personal documents, and development files

Yes, its a nice feature. Definitely a keeper

Undecided (would depend on what the device "upgrade" offers) keying off the slide for the shift, or the LTE radio for the 4GLTE just make sense to keep it inline with the family

Current screen size is great, it could even grow by about 0.3-0.5" in with maintaining the aspect ratio.

Speaker Phone volume

Shape is fine; I prefer the rectangular shaped phone

Yes, because its replacable; I had to replace my OEVO battery twice.

As for capacity, the highest mAh battery you could acquire in the same form factor. I really like the thin profile, and wouldn't want to compromise it for capacity

Include an SD Card, it was a nice touch with the OEVO, but seems to have been lost since.

Also, since the phone advertises "Beats" audio, it would be nice if Beats would include some ear buds...

Black w/ red accent is classic EVO; no need to change

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat