Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Exec: Launching LTE Devices Before Network Just Makes Sense

Highlighted
Wizard

Sprint Product Exec: Launching LTE Devices Before Network Just Makes Sense

Article from Ina Fried of AllthingsD.com

==========================================================================

Sprint isn’t too concerned that it is selling LTE devices but has yet to officially launch the high-speed service anywhere in the U.S.

“I think it is much to-do about nothing,” Sprint VP Fared Adib told AllThingsD in an interview on Tuesday. Customers sign up for two-year contracts, Adib said, and it makes sense for customers who want to have the latest technology get a device that will meet their needs throughout that time. People should be more concerned if Sprint weren’t doing that, he said.

“We’ve done this before,” he said. “So has every other carrier.”

Adib noted that Sprint’s LTE deployment, which will start with a few cities around midyear, will be faster than the rollout of prior technologies, including its 2G, 3G and WiMax networks.

Speaking of WiMax, Sprint may not be introducing new phones for its flagship brand, but it is now extending that technology to its Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile prepaid services. Virgin and Boost both announced plans to start selling a WiMax device from HTC. (Virgin has a variant of the Evo 3D, while Boost will sell a phone similar to the traditional Evo 4G.)

The company has said it plans to continue offering WiMax service through at least 2015.

Also on Tuesday, Sprint announced a new bundle of family safety and security applications under the Sprint Guardian banner. The effort consists of a $10 per month service from Location Labs’ Safely unit and a $5 per month security service from Lookout.

Both services cover up to five devices, which could be a savings for families that have a bunch of Sprint phones.

Adding such services can help increase loyalty to Sprint among families with multiple devices — already a traditionally loyal group and a key source of revenue for all the major carriers.

“You might change phones and plans but you don’t change carriers,” Adib said of those customers.

One area where Sprint hasn’t been all that aggressive is in introducing devices running Microsoft’s Windows Phone operating system. Adib said that Sprint certainly took note of the slow initial sales globally for the first crop of Windows Phones.

Still, Adib said that the company is a longtime partner of Microsoft’s and expects to offer future Windows Phones, likely after the debut of Windows Phone 8.

“I don’t want to give you any specific dates,” he said.

But he said he is “very bullish” on Windows Phone overall and said the company has rapidly closed some of the gaps it had in terms of performance and capabilities. Adib said he has also been pleased to see the work Nokia has done in reintroducing itself in the U.S. with its first Lumia devices.

“I think we are going to continue to see that,” he said.

29 REPLIES 29
Journeyman

Re: Sprint Product Exec: Launching LTE Devices Before Network Just Makes Sense

"We've done this before"

That is the problem.  Those of us who bought Sprints 4g Wimax phones and paid the premium price were ripped off.  Fool me once... shame on you...fool me twice...

Journeyman

I woudn't buy an LTE phone without LTE active in my area.  I still remember being promised, "4G is right around the corner,"  when I got my two Epics

Journeyman

We are almost past "mid year" and still not heard anything about the LTE launch here in Houston. Sprint is so sorry for having their customers wating like this. Wake up sprint and at least give us a damn update.

Journeyman

I agree it would atleast correct some of the issues I keep reading about. It would be real nice if it would happen in a few weeks.

Journeyman

Sprint is totally ripping people off.  I have been with them for over 12 years and for the last 2, I was thinking I had 4G but guess what, my area doesn't even have 4G.  OK that's not 100% correct, they said there is 4G in the area but not in the house, it is available on the street.  But that's not even correct since my phone only works in the house because I had to install an Airvana machine.  So now that I want to get a new phone, Sprint wants to charge me $10 PER LINE TO GET 3G that works on 2 of my 5 lines in the house.

So if I don't get to use the full benefits of my new 4G LTE smartphone, why do I have to pay an extra $10 PER MONTH PER LINE, that's $50 per month extra.  This is a total RIP OFF.  I guess someone has to pay for their stupid deal with Apple for the iPhone, paying $20 billion to them.

Journeyman

It just makes sence to screw your customers by releasing a technology that you wont have available to them for anywhere from 3 months to 2 years.  The only reason they are releasing LTE phones now is that all the phone makers are refusing to make WiMax phones anymore.  It cost them way too much to make Wimax for Sprint, and LTE for everyone else.  I just wish the Execs at Sprint would man up and admit the truth.

They should also offer a discount to any customer who has an LTE phone, and isnt currently able to access the 4G LTE service.  It isnt fair to force us to buy a newer phone when you dont have the technology available, because you dont have the ability to get phones on the existing technology anymore.  But GOD forbid you take care of your own customers that have been loyal for years. 

I myself would love to get ahold of the new EVO or the S3 that is available for Pre-Order, but i need the 4G service with work.  Sprint is the only network that cant even get a new release most of the time because no one want to deal with them anymore, when they know that if they release on AT&T or Verizon first they will make Millions.  Then once they have made everything they can Sprint gets the rest.  Sound familiar just think S2 or Apple.  I dont know about the rest of you but I am tired of the Crumbs, and waiting....

Oh Yeah, and you "sprint reps" dont respond with the regurgitated crap that you spit out in every post you put about just stayed tuned for info or sign up and we will contact you when hell freezes over.  WE ARE ALL TIRED OF HEARING IT!!!!  If you're going to respond to a post, then post something with a little substance, and possibly a real answer.

Journeyman

This is the first time I have posted. A sprint customer for more than 10 years.

I had the EVO 3d just got the EVO LTE, great phone,camera, processor software etc.. 3g is Sloooooooooooooow. extremely disappointed with the 3g network. Not sure when LTE is on in Miami but I am seriously considering switching to Verizon or AT&T.  I was told by a sprint store person I could reset my sprint contract or replace the LTE with the Galaxy S3????

Why would I do that if the 4g LTE won't be up until next year? I need those speeds NOW. I had 4g why on earth would I wait another 6mnths to a year for 4gLTE again.

Sprint doesn't offer any definitive schedules when this service will be up and running. Just trust us you'll have it soon. Sounds like a Snake Oil salesman.

Sprint as a loyal customer I'm telling you this is going to make a lot of customers upset. I already have one foot out the door.

Journeyman

bwahahahahhah1!!

yea seriously.. and these idiots... traded the quad core for the dual core int he sammy because of lte antenna ... when there still stuck on wimax...  by the time lte comes out.. ill been had a newer phone...

Master

TheUnaware wrote:

So if I don't get to use the full benefits of my new 4G LTE smartphone, why do I have to pay an extra $10 PER MONTH PER LINE, that's $50 per month extra.  This is a total RIP OFF.  I guess someone has to pay for their stupid deal with Apple for the iPhone, paying $20 billion to them.

It's because you have a Smart Phone. If you had a Flip Phone like a Motorola Razr, you wouldn not have to pay the $10. It's because the phones are so much more capable of downloading data compared to their predecessors. Remember how much fun it was surfing the internet on a RAZR? I do, it was almost impossible and someitmes more trouble then it was worth.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

The key word in what you just said is "capable"

I'll give u that. You are correct, but why pay for capable on a 3g network that sux donkey d#*k . It take me over 5 min to watch a .45 second clip on YouTube. Speeds suck so much that plenty of sprints customers are jumping ship left and right. So when they say that the 10 is your.smartphone data premium fee, or whatever the generic bull crap response they give, I've come to the realization that you are not even getting that much data on sprints sorry as* network to even constitute the 10 dollars fee. So try again

Master

Fortunately, I can't say I'm having the same problems. First 2 were just a moment ago in my office the last two were last night at my house 30mi away.

7402427394_7d99c9974c.jpg

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat