cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TO ALL HTC EVO 4G LTE owners...REVIEWS!!!

Journeyman

Re: TO ALL HTC EVO 4G LTE owners...REVIEWS!!!

Thank you MGVirgo I'll keep your posts in mine cause all these problems are swaying me away from the phone but you just put more faith in my decision to stay

Journeyman

I just got my LTE, and while laying in my bed, setting up my phone, I keep seeing these "data roaming charges may apply"  What the heck is that???

Journeyman

I'm glad you're keeping faith in the phone. I've been reading ALOT of the reviews on the Galaxy S3, and by the looks of it, I think we definitely made the better choice. I've read on several threads that s-voice, and smart stay don't work too well. I've also read a lot of complaints on the batter life, and overall feel of the phone. Honestly, you have issues with the phone, contact a Sprint tech on here, or just visit your local sprint store. The techs on here are really great though so save yourself a trip. I've had very minor issues with my phone...nothing an update can't fix. I hope that you really stick with the underdogs in this crazy tech world ran by apple and apparently samsung now lol. HTC and SPRINT all the way!!

Master

Interestingly, my buddy was having signal issues on his phone, constantly going in and out of signal or getting reports that the download can't complete at this time because of lost signal, data roaming charges may apply, etc.. Similar to the problems others are reporting. With his phone right next to mine, he was getting more then half the signal I was getting in most cases, once in a while it bumped up but never as high as mine.

Looking at his phone I noticed that he had Locations turned off,

Settings > Location

Google's Location Service - Turned it on

Locations Setting - Made sure it was on

GPS Satellites - Turned it on

The other options,

Location & Google Search and Compass Warning were already on by default.

After which, his signal strength jumped up comparable to mine and at it's worse was now only 10 off of mine in the few minutes we watched it.

Now, this may not work for everyone, but it appears to have worked for him.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Master

It sounds as if your phone is having signal issues that allot of users have been reporting. Take a look at the post right above this, make sure you have Locations turned on.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Master

I activated this phone yesterday and so far have been pleased.  It took awhile to get used to the 'no menu button at the bottom of the device, but I am retraining myself to look in the upper right of the screen for that and in the pull down for "Settings" and also put a shortcut on my desktop.   Aye, a little of 'they moved my cheese' .

This AM was minimal use and was at half battery life, so I am trying the suggested "Mobile Network Off" switch.  When I navigated to the switch, I did noticed it was constantly searching for a network.  This reminded me of the 'Roaming on' feature of the past that would also search for another network all the time.  Deja Vu. From what people are saying on this thread, this should help tremendously.  

Like the EVO 3D, I am pleased with this device overall. I like how fast it moves from task to task. The screen is great and I new to a kickstand on a device, I'm already using it. I like it's slim design and the touch texting seems easier, perhaps the buttons are slightly larger.

As for downsides, how I used to take the phone out of sleep mode with my right hand now has me pushing the volume button. Unlike the EVO 3D, which had a terrible volume-down button, this one is way more sentitive.  In the past day, the time zone message has displayed twice. I did turn of the auto detection and select Central America time (sort of an interesting way to note it in my opionion) and will wait for this to be corrected.  Minor in my book. There are bound to be some of these fixes that need to be corrected.

mapesy

Message was edited by: mapesy

Wizard

So, you have to give up every aspect of location privacy (and probably cause excessive battery drain) in order to get good signal strength on this phone? I wouldn't think location services should affect signal strength... but, I guess... maybe.

smotrs wrote:

Looking at his phone I noticed that he had Locations turned off,

Settings > Location

Google's Location Service - Turned it on

Locations Setting - Made sure it was on

GPS Satellites - Turned it on

The other options,

Location & Google Search and Compass Warning were already on by default.

After which, his signal strength jumped up comparable to mine and at it's worse was now only 10 off of mine in the few minutes we watched it.

Now, this may not work for everyone, but it appears to have worked for him.

Master

Well if it uses location to properly route you to the proper towers, then it makes sense in a way. But it was interesting that after I turned those options on within his phone that he all of a sudden had no more issues with his signal. <shrug>

--

Journeyman

Day 13 with my 4G LTE and here's my impression so far:
A very very good phone over all. Design is excellent, if not a little thin and hard to grip. I like to keep my phone naked but feel a little uneasy at times like I might drop it. Ice Cream Sandwich runs great with the new Sense, which is also very slick and well improved.

Like many others, I'm asked often to update my time zone. I just clear the notification when it pops up, but I'd really like to see that go away with an update.

I love the new music configuration, and the sound is fantastic with headphones. But HTC really needs to incorporate gapless playback in the player to make it near perfect.

Widgets. There are some great ones that come pre programed in the phone, but there's one problem. If a widget is inherintly 4x4, but can be resized on screen, it will not auto resize to fit a screen that already has some widgets on it. For example: The Task widget is 4x4, so I can add it to a blank screen. I can then resize it to 3x4 and add some other shortcuts in the space below. If I then remove the Task widget to see how something else might look there I cannot replace the widget without removing the other shortcuts. The widget must have all the space available, even though I can resize it. This seems like an easy fix and something HTC should really do to make the platform that much more user friendly.

Over all this is a great phone and I've enjoyed the hell out of it so far.

Master

I noticed the same thing about the resizing. I think it would also be nice if other things could be resized as well, for instance, the 3 different power control widgets. I would like to use 1 or 2 but have them be vertical instead of horizontal. In any case, I would like to see the resize be a little smarter as well.

--

Journeyman

It now has an update for Android 4.1, which comes with a connection optimizer. That optimizer, if you turn it on, will connect automatically to remembered WiFi networks and when it is available to the new 4g LTE network or work on 3g if there is no LTE network up yet where you are. The 4.1 update can be done manually ( I did mine day 1 of availability). I had one glitch and reset the phone after backing it all up. On restart and logging in to google everything was there and working fine (all apps EVER downloaded were available and reloadable) and my contacts were right there. Nice and light phone with very nice screen and 4.1 is a way better android especially with the camera and optimizer.

Highlighted
Master

Been running the update since the day it came out. Still on the fence with the whole SCO, time wil ltell if it's worth it or not.

BTW, this thread is about 6 months old. 

--

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat