cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring application data to new phone

13 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Transferring application data to new phone

Thanks not the answer I was hoping for, I guess I will just have to deal with it.

Wizard

woodiemarv1,

No the data (saved game data) is not transferred. Some productivity apps may have a menu option that allows you to save data to an SD card (word docs for example).

Markie_B

Journeyman

It depends on the app. I play live holdem poker. I can log on to any device or computer and sign in to my account and all my progress(data) is there. It is backed up through the dev's server. Angry birds on the other hand can only be played on my device. I cannot play angry birds on my tablet and have the same prgress(data) on my phone. Therefore it is saved to my sd card or internal phone memory. So it all depends on the app.

Journeyman

I am confused, is the application data (i.e save game data) on the sd card or not? I do not really need the application, I could just reinstall that, just the save game data.

GrandMaster

tre9614 wrote:

As for apps that are server based like online poker games, etc. they are backed up on the developers server and there is no need to back up apps to sd card. Other apps that save data to sd card i.e angry birds, etc. will need to be backed up on sd card and transferred. Otherwise I believe you will lose data.

recently i moved all my info to a larger sd card..which was more of a pain than it should have been..but this was done with the same phone and not to a new phone all together..

GrandMaster

yah i havent heard of any apps that fully went over to your sd card before....THIS isnt a good thing to hear though lol..

technology needs to get with the program lol

GrandMaster

Timbx wrote:

Don't you just use your Google account to transfer programs? Saved info I'm not sure.

google only save what all apps you have downloaded so you can readd them easily..but doesnt save the information on the app itself. back before they started giving people the option to move apps to the sd card a FR (factory reset) was BEYOND a nightmare to deal with...apps you could recover...but all your information was then lost...starting from scratch every time with a game was a pain for sure.

Wizard

fireguy_6364 and woodiemarv_1,

I did some additional research and found that your information/data will NOt be moved over with your application. In fact, depending on the size of your SD card, not all of the application may be moved over as there are partitions on the SD card that are reserved for music, pictures etc... sorry guys.

Markie_B

Journeyman

As for apps that are server based like online poker games, etc. they are backed up on the developers server and there is no need to back up apps to sd card. Other apps that save data to sd card i.e angry birds, etc. will need to be backed up on sd card and transferred. Otherwise I believe you will lose data.

Journeyman

Don't you just use your Google account to transfer programs? Saved info I'm not sure.