cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning off 4G improved data performance in CO

Journeyman

Turning off 4G improved data performance in CO

I'd been having BIG issues with connectivity and data here in Colorado. Pandora took forever to start streaming music, Facebook took 5+ minutes to update... anything that used a data connection was "slow". And I generally have a full signal most anywhere I go on the Front Range.

I read in another thread that some folks in non-LTE markets have had success with reviving their devices by turning the the phone into CDMA mode rather than LTE/CDMA.

I did that and Pandora bounced to life, Facebook updates are snappy and life seems good again for me and my second EVO.

Now, Sprint... please get with the program and get some LTE markets out here in the Western US. It's embarrasing that my father-in-law walks around with 4G on his Verizon phone while I'm still waiting for Google results on my brand new EVO. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Wizard

Re: Turning off 4G improved data performance in CO

JLampitt,

So your using 3G? Which EVO do you have?

Master

I'm assuming the LTEVO by the OP's wording and the forum he posted, but you never know.

OP, yes, some users have seen improvements others have not or had worse connectivity as a result. In your case, it seems to be for the positive. 

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Master

There are a couple reasons this could make a difference. A phone connected to EvDO vs. eHRPD (EvDO running through the 4G LTE core, requires LTE to be enabled on the device and allows seamless handoff between 3G/4G) should have similar data speeds.

One reason speeds may be different is an issue with data either at the 3G switch or the 4G Core causing a slowdown. This is unlikely but it is a possibility. Especially with the 4G LTE deployment ongoing the 4G cores could potentially be unstable as towers are added/removed for testing.

Another possibility is simply the change in authentication that comes with the radio being powered on/off again. The same thing would occur when restarting your phone or switching it into airplane mode and back out. This reauthenticates on the network and causes the connection scheme to change. Sitting in the same location and toggling airplane mode can get you onto a less congested channel and result in faster speeds.

Most speed issues are going to be limited to the actual backhaul from the tower back to the network though, and these would be identical across eHRPD and EvDO connections.

Journeyman

Do you have LTE if not it does not matter! I have used both settings if you have poor 3G you have poor 3G ...bingo.Unless I am close to a tower no streaming works for me it's the network we need LTE!!!

Journeyman

I'm currently using my new EVO 4G LTE phone. But since there's no 4G outside of downtown Denver, it's useless to turn it on.

Journeyman

Bingo! When the phone came out it was recommended to use CMDA only in the setup .Bad 3G is bad 3G !

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat