cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to determine current Time Zone??

Journeyman

Re: Unable to determine current Time Zone??

I may have found the answer by accident...

And if this has already been covered then I apologize but I have not been able to find an answer on line anywhere.

My problem was the weather widget showing "current location" instead of city name. I too would get the prompts to set time zone and to set time.

I have done all the updates recommended on line.

I received my new evo lte on the Saturday release date. I dont remember if it ever showed a city name of where I was. I do remember seeing the "current location" over and over again and being frustrated at it not showing a city name like my old evo 4g. I started looking on line and could not find an answer.

As the title says I may have found the answer by accident. I was on vacation in Anna Maria Island Fl over the last 5 days. Arrived on Thursday June 21st. Plugged in the usb 110v to 5v charger part to the wall and plugged in the usb cable to the phone. Friday morning get up and head out to breakfast. Stopped to take a pic at the beach and could not wake up phone. I figured it did not charge for some reason. Get back from breakfast and sure enough I had not plugged the usb cable into the charger. Phone was completly dead for 5-6 hours. So i remedied that and started the charge process again. After two or three hours I took phone off charger and powered up. Later in the day I notice it says "Holmes Beach" (where I was) instead of "current Location". I tell my wife it must have fixed itself not realizing at the time that the phone running completely dead must have accomplished this. It is now Monday morning and I have been to 8-10 central Florida cities since Friday and it has consistently showed the correct cities as my location. I have not had either prompt to set the zone or time.

Hope this helps someone else...

Journeyman

So let me get this right. Your phone completely died and after re-charging it the "current location" problem went away and is now showing the correct location? This is the issue that I am having and trying to fix.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had basically given up on trying to resolve the "current location" issue/problem and was planning on just checking the forums every once in a while. I have done nothing about resolving it for the last week or so. This is the only thing that has occurred to attribute it to.

So to answer the question, yes that is the way it happened.

Previously I had changed all settings everybody suggested and rebooted many times to no avail.

This is the only "new" thing to happen.

Journeyman

Think I will try that. The "current location" drives me crazy.

Journeyman

On June 20, I wrote:

I'd previously been using automatic date/time & timezone setting, but am changing to manual in hopes of working around the issue.  Just have to remember to reset the time when traveling.

It's now been five days with no notices. Setting to manual seems to work around the problem at the expense of having an automatically updated clock and timezone.  Still waiting on an official fix for this problem.

Journeyman

Im having this same issue. Live in Joliet,IL. When it asks me to set my time zone it is always set to eastern time when it should be central.

Journeyman

Let me know if it works or if mine is just a fluke. I am still doing fine, showing the dinky town of Sumterville right now.

Journeyman

I'm in Houston: 77060 & 77032, I have not had the time zone issue with HTC EVO 4G LTE.

I did have a strange 4 day weather issue with the OG EVO; In the evening it would skip a day in the 4 day forcast.

Master

Yeah, the evening weather bug was an issue introduced on the last update around the beginning of 2012. Hey FireGuy, did that get taken care of in the most recent update?

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

UPDATE...

Five days straight now and alls still fine, been all over the county and every city has shown up... No zone or time prompts either.

GrandMaster

smotrs wrote:

Yeah, the evening weather bug was an issue introduced on the last update around the beginning of 2012. Hey FireGuy, did that get taken care of in the most recent update?

not sure...ever since that issue popped up i shut down my auto update for time..when i travel out of my area i switch it over to get the correct time and then uncheck it again. i got tired of it telling me i was in africa...which if anyone wants to know the weather over there is pretty bad..90 degrees with lightning and thunderstorms..it would also put my time the same as in africa..so my alarm wasnt working the greatest..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I too had the same problem with the weather widget showing "Current Location" instead of my actual location of Tulsa, OK.  I too did the update to the PRL/Profile and also the phone activation without success.   I did what you suggested today (06/26/12) of letting my battery drain completely and then recharging and sure enough my location of Tulsa now shows up on the home screen in the weather widget.  Funny how something as simple as that fixes a problem.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat