cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to determine current Time Zone??

Journeyman

Re: Unable to determine current Time Zone??

I live in LaCrosse WI. and got my evo lte yesterday and have been getting this time zone error since along with current location in weather widget like everybody else. I tried updating everything including prl. I tried a hard reset to factory settings today with no avail. I thought completely draining a lithium polymer battery ruins them or at the very least is hard on them. I KNOW this happens to be true because I run RC cars, heli's, and boats powered by lithium polymer batterys and if you let them drop below the safe voltage which is like 80% of the true full charge they won't hold a charge anymore and somethimes even puff up and start on fire. Now idk if these phones have a low voltage cutoff like most RC's do and the actual voltage of the indicater's are set according to the safe limits but I'm not going to risk depleting my battery life permantly to fix this "software" problem. (I believe it is anyways because all the other cell phones in my house work fine.

I also have the google wallet error (Not supported in your area or by your carrier). These problems are extremely frustrating when you burn up your wifes upgrade because I just used mine to get the galaxy epic touch which was perfectly fine to get the latest greatest phone. Sprint needs to work these bugs out before they roll them out. We shouldn't be the beta testers.

I've also noticed that when I type even with all sounds shut off it makes a bit of a vibration/ratteling noise as it vibrates like something is loose inside. With a unibody phone this should be a solid phone and not make these noises. Also when the camera is app is open and I tap the settings button on the left side of the screen it occasionall makes a static clicking noise. To test this open the camera and with all sounds disabled even vibration if you want and repeatedly tap the setting button if it doesn't do it the first couple times. I know I'm nitpicking but I'm gonna be stuck with whatever phone I have after 14 days and I don't want to have something go out or get worse soon. So if you guys could let me know if yours does the same thing so I know if it's typical or if I have a lemon. I talked to a sprint tech today and they told me they would mail me out a return kit but then if after the 14 days is up I decide I wanna go back to trusty old samsung and swap it for the S3 I won't be able to.Smiley Sad I love this phone and wanted a change from touchwiz and samsungs plastic boring hardware design but so far this phone worrys me. PS. If they send me the return kit I have to order another evo or s3 and pay for it. Then when they get my old phone I wil get credited which sucks! If it's under warrenty they should just send me the replacement phone with a return kit in it because I don't want a $150 sprint credit. 

Master

I know this probably won't you feel better, but the new Samsung GIII is haveing similar signal reception issues that the LTEVO is having. Seems both phones designed for the new network are having signal/recption issues. Strange thing is, that there could be several phones in the same area having no problem at all but another idential phone is. That's what makes it really weird.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

I'd been getting the time zone prompts routinely.  I tried the complete battery drain.  Let it set there for 30+ minutes with a drained battery.  Then I charged it back up. Within 24 hours I was getting the time zone prompts again.  :-( 

Journeyman

The complete discharge/recharge approach seems to be a temporary fix at best. I tried this and then downloaded the recently released HTC Software update. Not only is the problem back, its actually worse. I have also found that if you update the PRL or Profile after doing the discharge/recharge the phone reverts to losing track of the timezone.

This effects the calendar and alarms (I have had many alerts fail to go off because of the switching).

This problem is even more bizarre:

I'm in Concord, NH

Clock on home screen shows wrong time (mostly Huntsville or Tucson)

Weather widget shows town it thinks i'm in

World clock shows town I am in correctly on map, shows town name and time for incorrect location

I have also found that if you have local time settings of "Automatic date/time" on and "Automatic Timezone" off it STILL has the wrong timezone.The only way to avoid the problem completely is tto turn both off which is not a particularly good solution because the clock doesn't keep time especially accurately. A cheap $15 watch does a much better job.

So far I have had a total of 7 EVO 4G LTE phones. We purchased 4 and 3 have been replaced on account of this issue being labeled as a faulty phone. ALL 7 phones exhibit the same problem, some worse than others. It makes what could be a great phone practically worthless. If all I wanted was a multimedia player i'd get a wifi enabled tablet!

On the plus side Sprint have been good about trying to help, although their ability to do so seems rather limited. Tech supports only answer seems to be change the phone. I've offered to work with any techie they have that can help diagnose and potentially fix the problem but the only solution right now seems to be a completely different phone.

Short of getting an iPhone I don't see any of the other offerings stacking up. The Google Nexus is a Samsung and i've never seen a Samsung with a radio worth a damn. All Samsungs i've ever owned drop calls or spent most of their time on a signal hunt. I found I was largely limited to text messaging with them.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sorry you are having such problems, I'm over three weeks now and still working fine...

Master

Have you tried a hard Reset? Sometimes, when a Flash is applied it may require a Hard Reset to fix some issues that existed before the update or crop up as a result of the update. For example, see the 3 [BUG] reports posts that I posted a couple days ago that cropped up on mine about 8hrs after the update. And this was a phone that was not exhibiting any of the issues people were complaining about. After performing the Hard Reset, things went back to running awesome.

If you have all your contacts, calender events, bookmarks, etc.. backed up to Google or other sources, it makes it really easy. Right after I completed the initial setup fro mthe Hard Reset, everything was already appearing back on the phone. So much better then in the past.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.

I reported this problem a couple weeks ago with my phone.  I tried the battery discharge trick and it didn't work.  I ended up just setting the time zone and clock manually and unchecking the automatic settings. However, the newest update from HTC/Sprint has seems to solve the problem. I am able to put the date and time settings back to 'automatic' and the geo time zone and clock time are remaining accurate now.  I am located in the Mountain Time Zone in the Northern Utah area.  All appears to be working now.

Thanks,

Kirk

Journeyman

I've done hard resets, updated prl, profile and htc s/w. Since I haven't committed to phone i've done all this with and without other s/w installed. I didn't note it above but at one point sprint tried to claim there were outages in my zip, I challenged that and gave them several other zips where i see problems and all supposedly had outages. Couldn't find any record of it in the outage reports. In the end I think that the tech was using deflection or not clued up.

I'm currently stuck back at the usual starting point, the phone has been flagged faulty and i've been given the option to change it out. The iphone screen is too small for me to read content comfortably and Samsung's still suffer poor radio (at least they are consistent). Lots of potentially great phones but no good choice. Perhaps someone on the android forums will actually figure it out, otherwise i'm going to go through a lot of phones.

Journeyman

The latest from me is i've defected to Samsung. The last straw came today when the radio stopped getting a signal. Spent the day with a nice "x", even a reset didn't fix. My samsungs may have had a bad signal and dropped calls but that's better than no signal. I'll be seeing what the 3s is like.

Journeyman

My HTC Touch Pro 2 (old I know) has the same problem in 36609 Mobile AL.  At my house it bounces between Eastern and Central.  When Eastern it doesn't know my loc for weather.  At work, all works fine.  It won't honor the world clock setting to my city.  It will switch to My location at my house.

Journeyman

The LTE SPEED MAKE PROBLEM FOR TIMEZONE. When i turned off the LTE SPEED OPTION AND TIMEZONE IS BACK TO NORMAL. It should not be like that.

Master

MacDannyNguyen,

How long have you been experiencing this for? What type of phone do you have? Have you updated your device through the Sprint Zone App on the phone? If not, I'd definitely recommend doing so.

- Regina
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat