ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding "your order in a warehouse in KY" and what it means to hear the words "Customs".

Journeyman

Understanding "your order in a warehouse in KY" and what it means to hear the words "Customs".

First time poster, out of contract for over 6 years, have watched Apple work to thwart many releases but not to this level so am happy that whatever is in the box I receive is something that is making them tremble.  I did the research ahead of time on my pre-sale, when I found out Best Buy and other stores were requiring no money down, and in some cases a discount (at their expense to get customers in the door), I went ahead and passed on the full payment Sprint presale.  Anyone not doing the same for such a large purchase who has concerns about their money being tied up indefinitely has only themselves to blame.

That being said, having worked as a consultant for many large companies handling supply chain and logistics, I want to attempt to clear the air on the false information being spewed about regarding "lies by Sprint that my phone is a warehouse in KY when it hasn't even gotten through customs."

That "warehouse in KY" is in all likelihood the UPS airfreight and international hub.  A section of which are shipments under lock and key awaiting customs review or approval.  I am assuming many of you have never flown internationally, or the wording would be much easier to grasp...your phone landed, it is in a walled off separate area awaiting customs clearance the same as a passenger in a secured section of the airport waiting customs clearance.  That doesn't mean the passenger is still circling in the air or on some shore awaiting approval to enter the country.  It has entered the country and is awaiting release, an item outside of Sprint's control.  This does not mean there is ONE customs office in the US where everyone or everything needing to clear customs needs to be sent before getting rubber stamped for admittance to freely move about the country.

Therefore your phone CAN be in a warehouse in Kentucky (that place is amazing with their technology and is huge) AND still be awaiting clearance from customs, the two are not mutually exclusive.  Customs, who just like at the airport lets some people through with barely a glance and others having to empty their pockets and answer more precise questions on their activities, is often backlogged and leaves much to the discretion of its workers.  The problem here is the guy three persons back (Apple most likely) or someone decided "hey that guy looks suspicious" so despite all proof to the contrary, and all workarounds in place by HTC, got put under a microscope they should not have been subjected to in the first place.  There is no grand conspiracy by HTC or Sprint to roll the dice in these matters, it serves no purpose.  HTC has even stated they have provided customs with everything they need and are not understanding the delays for the past month.  People who control what comes into this country can let power go to their heads or trade favors just like anyone else in America, especially so when in a government position where wages are not keeping up with inflation.

Sprint, in my opinion *SHOULD NOT* have done a pre-order where the full amount was charged prior to shipment, a $50 deposit with the remainder charged upon *physical ship date* is the more reliable method in these scenarios.  Then just like a video game or software that misses its release, owners can cancel and receive a return on their deposit or have it applied toward another purchase or elect to wait for the new release.  Where Best Buy and Amazon and others can do this without the concerns of Sprint is that their stock is determined largely by pre-order numbers so for every person not showing up in the first 72 hours to claim their phone or canceling in advance, they have one more phone on the shelves or in their supply chain to sell to customers on release day or any point thereafter. Sprint's communication on the delay was somewhat typical of a large corporation (waiting until the last possible moment to confirm the delay via email), who is in no way obliged to communicate date changes to you particularly when the wording includes "We will do our best to get  it to you before others get a glimpse on Friday, May 18".  That you read about it elsewhere, is understandable in this day and age of Twitter, blogging, and social media.  Though a case can be made for the PR advantages either way, earning points for early notification of delays ONLY buys you so much if it then opens you up to further legal issues or as was the case with the Best Buy correction -- further redactions, particularly when the release of the phones are not under their direct control.

As to waived activation fees as compensation, many who ordered online will already receive that feature, others will get the same through their discount plan.  Waving the $10 data surcharge for any new EVO 4G LGE for 3-x months (delay dependent) is a more equitable way of restoring faith in the Sprint community.

This is not the first time Apple has engaged in these shenanigans, this is just the first time they timed it such that the manufacturer was caught unaware despite their best efforts of proving for several months they were in compliance.  Apple has learned from its challenges with Samsung, and found a way to tickle the ear of someone to have a second review performed after product was already on shelves for the OneX and Samsung will be learning from this latest trick in the Apple arsenal for the S3 launch. 

In the end, these are just phones, I've survived long enough without an upgrade....untether a bit and go out in the real world, you'll be just fine until your new shiny gadget is released.  If having a phone is so essential to you, and your money so tight that you cannot go get a pre-paid mobile, you have larger problems with your money management and priorities in life than the HTC EVO LTE delays and what Sprint is doing to correct them.

3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

Re: Understanding "your order in a warehouse in KY" and what it means to hear the words "Customs".

Couldn't have stated it better myself!  Life will go on - despite what others believe.

Journeyman

Re: Understanding "your order in a warehouse in KY" and what it means to hear the words "Customs".

Cliff notes version of the above:

• Not the end of the world, though frustrating.
  • Not doing research on competing pre-paid offers is the fault of the buyer, not the seller.
  • Sprint needs a better model for pre-releases going forward (deposit mechanism where credit can be refunded or rolled over to other purchases).
  • From all signs and statements, these phones ARE in a warehouse with our names or the retail distribution names on them, that section of the warehouse is likely the UPS international and airfreight customs review area.
  • The fairest compensation (though none is legally required as the wording is very non-comittal for release target dates) is to apply a credit across all accounts with EVO 4G LTE activation, this *may* still be in the works...possibly dependent upon how long this drags out.
  • Life is about more than shiny gadgets, or delays, learn to roll with the punches and save your energy for things that matter.
Journeyman

You sir, are now my hero

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat